U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should we add a 2008 Presidential Election sub-forum?
Yes 40 74.07%
No 14 25.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Illinois
3,100 posts, read 2,286,617 times

Advertisements

This poll will be open for 48 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,845 posts, read 22,197,699 times
Reputation: 3543
I don't see any reason why we should not. It will make things a lot clearer and neater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 AM
 
8,632 posts, read 9,174,819 times
Reputation: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't see any reason why we should not. It will make things a lot clearer and neater.
I disagree, many subjects overlap and it gets frustrating when you have a thread that is moved because of a moderaters discretion, we need broader parameters in the p&oc not narrower. Exception being, an all out anything goes subforum, where those of who are more blunt and to the point can do so without hurting feelings and getting nailed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,917,753 times
Reputation: 3840
Generally, I agree with silas777. Too many folders to look at, and certainly the overlap will become problematic and detract from threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I disagree, many subjects overlap and it gets frustrating when you have a thread that is moved because of a moderaters discretion, we need broader parameters in the p&oc not narrower. Exception being, an all out anything goes subforum, where those of who are more blunt and to the point can do so without hurting feelings and getting nailed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 AM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,683,086 times
Reputation: 3676
Breaking things up and categorizing them makes "Politics and other controversies" less political and controversial. My experience from modding on other boards ( and this happens frequently) the board will be broken up into a couple of political and current events categories with the last one being a potpourri of "everything else" and that is usually where all the activity ends up.

I know it may not seem like it but all the confusion created by these many spontaneous threads is what makes this particular area of the forum so organic and lively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 AM
 
510 posts, read 1,430,972 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Exception being, an all out anything goes subforum, where those of who are more blunt and to the point can do so without hurting feelings and getting nailed!
Love the idea, but some "Clubhouses" can get pretty ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,152 posts, read 7,223,871 times
Reputation: 3514
I vote yes. My experience from another board I was posting on during the last election had to be split due to high volume of contributors. An ad hoc forum could be deleted after the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,817,529 times
Reputation: 6195
I think the integrated discussion process is part of what makes this section of the forum so much fun and lively. I think many of the election issues are part of the controversy issues, such as Iraq, gay rights, abortion and defense spending priorities. Heck, if we had done that the last election how would we have parsed the election issues with the Viet Nam issues sometimes discussed on this forum?

I favor the free for all, I just like to see threads stay a little more on track and the personal stuff somewhat muted. And I absolutely love a high volume, hot paced discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
 
383 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Breaking things up and categorizing them makes "Politics and other controversies" less political and controversial. My experience from modding on other boards ( and this happens frequently) the board will be broken up into a couple of political and current events categories with the last one being a potpourri of "everything else" and that is usually where all the activity ends up.

I know it may not seem like it but all the confusion created by these many spontaneous threads is what makes this particular area of the forum so organic and lively.
Not true about categorizing. Just look at the immigration forum.

Eventually, there will be a lot of threads about the election. And creating a sub forum for it makes incentive to talk about such an important issue in our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2007, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,694 posts, read 33,709,656 times
Reputation: 51924
The discussion is diluted with sub-forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top