Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times

Advertisements

Are you little people still going on about Mitt's tax returns?

Here's your clue: Call the IRS. They give cash rewards to people who report PROVEN tax evaders and cheats.

Humorous.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:04 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No wonder the guy keeps his returns so close to his chest. A source within Bain called Harry Reid and said, ""Harry, he didn't pay any taxes for 10 years." Now how do you Romney-bots feel about your beloved candidate? Not only does he bungle diplomacy with three out of three countries, but he is so crooked he couldn't walk a straight line if there was a check for half a billion dollars waiting at the end. What has this country come to?

Harry Reid: Mitt Romney didn’t pay taxes for 10 years - 2chambers - The Washington Post
Who is the source and did he do anything illegal?

You know, I could say "Harry Reid bites his fingernails and picks his nose. Someone in the salon he frequents told me." That doesn't make it true, illegal or even relevant to how he runs the Senate. In fact, you might wonder how someone in the salon knows he picks his nose or why someone in the salon he frequents would give me that information.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:31 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Give a name or get the hell out. Reid's story sounds like BS. And I support Obama over Romney. This is crap, though. GTF out of my face with this, Reid.
Apparently there's a second source who's corroborating the story, according to CNN. This was from Anderson Cooper's show last night:

CNN.com - Transcripts

Quote:
DANA BASH: And as you were coming on the air, Anderson, I got a follow-up like the statement, which also stands by what they call his credible source that Romney has not paid taxes for 10 years, and he's calling Romney playing tricks, many tricks at his disposal for avoiding taxes. So not backing down at all.

But I did speak, I just have to tell you, that I did speak to one source who's very close to Senator Reid who claims to also know who this Bain investor is that Reid spoke with, and insists that this is a credible person and this person if we knew the name we would understand that they would have the authority and the ability to know about Romney's tax returns.

Who knows, maybe Reid isn't bluffing. I figured like everyone else he was full of it and just goading Romney into acting a fool on a dead issue. I will eat a hat of the first poster's choosing if the source turns out to be Bill Bain.

ETA: What gets me is Reid's pulling such an obvious trick, and Romney walked right into it. How the hell does he fall for something like that?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 AM

271 posts, read 168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Why won't Romney just release it then if he has them? It is no biggie. Just show it and everyone will shut up.
It is a biggie.

Why he wont release? Because

1) Some years he paid no taxes because in those years the stock market tank and he reported large losses, and this would make him look like a loser.
2) Other years, he paid lower taxes than most middle class Americans, forwarding those losses.
3) He had investments in firm that got subsidies from the government.
4) he had offshores investments in non-American firms.
5) he had investments on firms that rely mainly on outsourcing.
6) he committed a federal crime by not reporting money in a Swiss Bank Account, and got amnesty for it. This was a real program by the IRS in 2009, to grant amnesty to people who illegaly failed to disclose Swiss bank accounts but who agreed to admit to it and pay back taxes - and 2009 is one of the years for which Mitt Romney didn't release his tax return.

It's way, way too damaging, politically.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Apparently there's a second source who's corroborating the story, according to CNN. This was from Anderson Cooper's show last night:

CNN.com - Transcripts

Who knows, maybe Reid isn't bluffing. I figured like everyone else he was full of it and just goading Romney into acting a fool on a dead issue. I will eat a hat of the first poster's choosing if the source turns out to be Bill Bain.

ETA: What gets me is Reid's pulling such an obvious trick, and Romney walked right into it. How the hell does he fall for something like that?

I know it looks manufactured, especially to the rabid Obama haters. But they're beyond rationality in any case.

Stop and consider for a moment what Romney was doing at Bain a few years ago and the whole thing becomes plausible. Romney was selling Bain' services to big investors. He was in regular contact with wealthy folks who had a lot of money to put somewhere and they were looking for advantageous investments. Some of them probably were interested in tax shelters. It's not much of a stretch to imagine Romney telling a potential client something like, "We have some very solid tax-free funds. I have a lot of my own assets in them and I haven't had to pay any taxes for years. And it's all legal and above board."

Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 AM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Not to get too off-topic, but if you’re gonna invoke 'religious bias', let’s be clear here, that already in its brief life, LDS has had way more than its share of problematic history and beliefs. And come on…. magical undies, no black ministers allowed, baptizing dead folks (of other religions!), the planet "Kolob" (BTW, the creator of Battlestar Galactica, and the anagram planet “Kobol”, was a mormon), multiple wives (and the very reason Romneys grandfather moved to Mexico!), …heck, this religion couldn’t have been more controversial than if Joseph Smith had deliberately designed it that way!!!

But quirky though all that stuff may be (and often begging to be ridiculed), my issue is simply that LDS is unique among the religions, in advocating so much aggressive involvement in worldly affairs, which among other things, also has obvious implications in the political & secular realms (note to Mod). So at a minimum, when a religion deliberately pokes its nose into the secular world, it needs to be prepared for when the secular world starts poking back. So however he chooses to handle it, Romney still needs to show the country that he "gets" that. And his current avoidance policy is not only serving him poorly, but it’s also contributing to his growing appearance of "Entitlement" (which the whole tax thang plays to).

BTW, as long as you’re handing out mini-lectures on "objectivity", perhaps you can also offer some advice how any reasonably intelligent and edumacated individual, perhaps not unlike yourself, might better cope with glib, morally superior, and basically solipsistic reasoning (aka, "it must be so, because I think it is!")?

Oh, and what do you think would be a good reciprocal proof for objectivity...?
You try so hard, don't you, Mateo? I can't help but be impressed by the amount of work you put in to these posts. And your creativity -- it's truly unsurpassed. By the way, your second paragraph actually was objective, so I guess there's hope for you after all.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-03-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Yo libs. Unemployment 8.3%.

Everything else is just b.s.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yo libs. Unemployment 8.3%.

Everything else is just b.s.
Yeah, and this time last year it was 9.1%...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Are you little people still going on about Mitt's tax returns?

Here's your clue: Call the IRS. They give cash rewards to people who report PROVEN tax evaders and cheats.

Humorous.
"you little people"?.... what are you doing, taking public speaking lessons from Ann Romney now?!!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:45 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,438,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
"you little people"?.... what are you doing, taking public speaking lessons from Ann Romney now?!!

Let us eat cake.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Why won't Romney just release it then if he has them? It is no biggie. Just show it and everyone will shut up.
Because it's a fishing expedition. Nothing more. And shows the desperation of the Dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.