Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Say something positive about Romney's campaign. No Romney bashing except to refute a post.

Let's hear it. What would be GOOD about a Romney presidency?
It's really hard to say something nice about a Yugo.

We've achieved consensus that he has nice hair. I just don't see hair having the ability to make decisions without gray matter, and a whole lot of other intangible qualities, attached to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Romney is competent.
At what, pray tell? Legalizing theft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
...he and his wife seem genuinely proud of the country without the condition of needing to be elected first.
But... he's materially saying the opposite in every declaration he's made. He's against a century worth of work keeping democracy afloat. Everything is wrong. Everything is broken. Every public servant is ruining his life. Including the troops in Afghanistan wasting HIS fictitious billions while HIS actual billions are offshore. Only corporate management doing a hostile takeover of governance can save us now. All of which does not strike me as proud of this nation at all. Proud of materialism, yes, but not this nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
He looks great for a 65 year old. Does the guy age at all?
That's a good one. He's got a Dick Clark thing going on. I can give him that. Or a cosmetic surgeon can. However you want to spell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He is a good family man, and he appears to have raised some wonderful children.
They appear to be well adjusted adults, but I'm unclear who deserves credit for their upbringing. The servants at residence a, b, or z?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He also seems to be a very good husband.
His marriage smells funny. To each his own, but it's part of the reason he registers on the no confidence side of family values policies. I have a hard time imagining he's spent a minute of his life even being inconvenienced, let alone shouldering the weight of the world trying to make ends meet the way the majority of the conscientious average Joe dads do. Single moms carrying the load are SOL with his (and Ann's) Fantasy Island mentality.

Quote:
Let me see what I can do:
...He seems to be a genuinely nice man with good morals.
People say that about serial killer neighbors. I don't see an authentically nice man. He's disingenuously polite to people he'd rather not give the time of day to, which in my best reckoning, is 98% of the country and 100% of the UN.

A consummate salesman is obliged to keep up polite pretense to customers for 5 minutes past what it takes to sell whatever. He listens long enough to figure out when to continue on with his rehearsed sales pitch without appearing too socially graceless. He's masterful at corporate showmanship but he's offering nothing of himself that's genuine. He is offering yet another empty suit in a long tiresome parade of empty suits since Reagan. Won't someone please get the GOP soul out of the Ayn Rand pawn shop? I'm asking nice. The kids hate plastic zombie dad, and rightfully so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Well your true colors finally come out Backspa... I mean Dale Cooper.
Ahhh thanks for that. I thought I caught the whiff of someone I had already relegated to the ignore column. Wonder how much Rove inc is paying him to turd in punch bowls.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 AM

441 posts, read 501,040 times
As Governor of Massachusetts, he invented Romneycare and got all residents covered for health insurance.

He has nice hair. I like the greyed temples.

Unlike his wife, he has had a good facelift.

He spent 3 years during the Vietnam War (which he supported) in France trying to convert people to Mormonism. I don't know if that's good or not, as he admitted he hadn't really had any converts. But at least, during that time, he wasn't in Vietnam smoking dope.

He has a lot of money and a lot of houses, so he probably has created a lot of jobs for domestic workers (butlers, upstairs maids, downstairs maids, gardeners, pool boys, housekeepers, cooks, stable boys, dressage trainers, etc.). However, I don't know if they are well paid (or legal immigrants).

I can't think of anything else.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
My vote in South Dakota wont hurt Mitt's chances much, he will win SD...

I will write in Ron Paul though... Id vote for him if he picked Rand Paul for VP or Ron Paul for Treasury Secretary, Head of the FED ect...
I love South Dakota! May I ask what part of SD you live in? My brother lives near Clark. I love that place.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Boy, y'all are being tough on the guy. Surely, we can do better than that. After all, he was the Governor of a major state for 4 years and ran a successful business for a decade or more. He must have SOME accomplishments other than good hair.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,290 times
Because politics is perception. How people react to what they think Romney will do will have a much bigger impact then anything he will do.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 AM

441 posts, read 501,040 times
Quote:
Boy, y'all are being tough on the guy. Surely, we can do better than that. After all, he was the Governor of a major state for 4 years and ran a successful business for a decade or more. He must have SOME accomplishments other than good hair.
OK, let me think.

Ann Romney doesn't have any sister wives (or to the best of our knowledge, she doesn't).

It is unlikely Mitt Romney made his fortune selling heroine (as far as we know).

Seamus was allowed to run away of his own freewill and seek asylum in Canada.

At Bain Capital, he created a lot of jobs in developing countries, thereby helping their economies - it is unlikely India would have the position in the world it occupies today without Mitt's intervention.

At Bain Capital, by making redundant many not very competitive American workers, he enabled them to widen their professional horizons.

If he becomes President, he will have all Americans - living and dead - who are not actually members of the Mormon Church, baptized as Mormons - at his own expense.

I can't think of any more.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
He's very good at getting money from the federal government for his projects (the Olympics) or if one of his companies fails($10 million FDIC forgiveness) so he's got that going for him. Maybe if he's elected he can just have government forgive everything. It worked for him.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Romney ISN'T Obama.
That's a bad reason to vote for anyone. Anyway...here's my positive stuff about Mitt.

1. Mitt and Ann Romney seem like intelligent people who aren't willing to hide it--unlike the anti-intellectual morons in the rest of the GOP who play to the lowest denominator. (*cough* Sarah Palin *cough*)
2. I'm sure they're genuinely nice people who are well intentioned and believe that their ideas really will help the country.
3. He instituted Romneycare, on which Obama's health care law was based. I believe that he knows that providing health care to all was the right thing to do.
4. He's not a far out conservative--not a birther, not a racist, he doesn't seem to hate muslims or mexicans, or the poor. He's also not an Obama hater, just a nice, awkward, somewhat out of touch rich guy who's running for president.

I won't be voting for him, but it wouldn't bother me too much if he were elected...something I can't say about other Republicans.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,376,957 times
He is relatively better than the alternative candidates from the Republican primary season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections