Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Ann started her freshman year in Provo in 1967 while Mitt was off knocking on doors and seeking converts as a missionary, a task that earned him a draft deferment. Early the next year, Ann came to France for a semester abroad. The couple saw each other rarely and only under strict supervision.
Mitt Romney, as a student at a chaotic time for BYU, focused on family, church - The Washington Post

Single missionaries are prohibited from dating or courting while serving missions.
LDS Dating
Well, most of 'em, anyway. I reckon Mitt beats God.
What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Looks like even the other side recognizes this as a troll thread. The OP is on his own with this farce...

Old 08-02-2012, 11:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The libs are really struggling to smear Romney. So you are now concerned about Romeny dating? I guess Bo using cocaine and smoking weed is okay in comparison.
I am independent, and I am more concerned about him avoiding the service to his country at a time or war.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I think it's funny they bent Church rules for Mitt Romney, that's all. Probably happnes at Churches all over America. Probably not an isolated incident based upon who he or his father was. Oh well, nothing to see here, move along. Just like the patatial housing he stayed at. I'm sure. ”. It featured stained glass windows, chandeliers, and an extensive art collection. It was staffed by two servants – a Spanish chef and a houseboy. The building, on Rue de Lota, was bought by the Mormons in 1952, having been seized by the Nazis during the Second World War. The Church sold it again in the 1970s, and it was until recently the embassy of the United Arab Emirates. It is currently worth as much as $12 million. I'm sure other missionaries had similiar.

Screw it. He's not special at all.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
I think it's funny they bent Church rules for Mitt Romney, that's all. Probably happnes at Churches all over America. Probably not an isolated incident based upon who he or his father was. Oh well, nothing to see here, move along. Just like the palatial housing he stayed at. I'm sure. ”. It featured stained glass windows, chandeliers, and an extensive art collection. It was staffed by two servants – a Spanish chef and a houseboy. The building, on Rue de Lota, was bought by the Mormons in 1952, having been seized by the Nazis during the Second World War. The Church sold it again in the 1970s, and it was until recently the embassy of the United Arab Emirates. It is currently worth as much as $12 million. I'm sure other missionaries had similiar.

Screw it. He's not special at all.
Sometimes it's hard to blame him when you realize that's really been kinda the recurring theme throughout his whole life, hasn't it? That Mitt is somehow always "Entitled" and "Special"....

Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
I think it's funny they bent Church rules for Mitt Romney, that's all.
Except that they didn't. I keep asking for a direct quote from the article saying they did, and you have yet to provide it. Probably because there isn't one. You have taken one sentence out of an entire article ("The couple saw each other rarely and only under strict supervision.") and interpreted it to mean that mission rules were suspended in Mitt's case and that he was allowed an occasional date with Ann. Here's how it is when you're on a mission: You are assigned a "companion" who must accompany you literally everywhere you go except for the bathroom every waking minute of your day. Mitt may have helped her decorate the building for the church Christmas dinner and then sat next to each other and talked that evening -- surrounded by not only his companion but in plain view of 200 other people. That's as intimate as they'd have had a chance to get. There would have been no "alone time." The article doesn't even remotely imply otherwise, so why are you continuing to insist that it does?

Back in 1968, Mitt Romney was just like any other 19-year-old Mormon missionary. You haven't provided one single solitary bit of solid evidence that he was ever treated any differently than any other missionary serving in France at that time. Like his mission president was supposed to be thinking, "Wow. Maybe in 44 years this young man is going to be running for President of the United States. And besides, his daddy's rich. We've got to treat him with kid gloves." Start providing some real evidence for a change. Your total lack of objectivity and your insistence upon making things up as you go along is getting rather old.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-02-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Except that they didn't. I keep asking for a direct quote from the article saying they did, and you have yet to provide it. Probably because there isn't one. You have taken one sentence out of an entire article ("The couple saw each other rarely and only under strict supervision.") and interpreted it to mean that mission rules were suspended in Mitt's case and that he was allowed an occasional date with Ann. Here's how it is when you're on a mission: You are assigned a "companion" who must accompany you literally everywhere you go except for the bathroom every waking minute of your day. Mitt may have helped her decorate the building for the church Christmas dinner and then sat next to each other and talked that evening -- surrounded by not only his companion but in plain view of 200 other people. That's as intimate as they'd have had a chance to get. There would have been no "alone time." The article doesn't even remotely imply otherwise, so why are you continuing to insist that it does?

Back in 1968, Mitt Romney was just like any other 19-year-old Mormon missionary. You haven't provided one single solitary bit of solid evidence that he was ever treated any differently than any other missionary serving in France at that time. Like his mission president was supposed to be thinking, "Wow. Maybe in 44 years this young man is going to be running for President of the United States. And besides, his daddy's rich. We've got to treat him with kid gloves." Start providing some real evidence for a change. Your total lack of objectivity and your insistence upon making things up as you go along is getting rather old.
I can see you agree that the Church allowed them to see each other. That's what I'm saying.
Yeah, I know about the companions.

Also, from what I've read about missionary life, a houseboy and a house good enough to be an embassy are not usual perks. Neither is meeting with your girlfriend. You're supposed to lock your heart.

I think you're defining date differently than me. I consider being together with someone you have a romantic interest in, either alone or with 200 people, as a date. For you, it's only a date if you're alone?
Seriously? What do you call it if you get togetherwith your romantic interest and 200 people? Unless you want to claim it was a chance meeting. That's possible, I suppose. The article doesn't say.
The version of "saw" is not "physically seeing someone with your eyes" otherwise they would not have needed "strict supervsion." They met and they were romantically involved.

Accordig to the tenets of being a missionary, he wasn't supposed to be seeing her at all.

Last edited by 70Ford; 08-02-2012 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Wow!

The libs are really struggling to smear Romney. So you are now concerned about Romeny dating? I guess Bo using cocaine and smoking weed is okay in comparison.
Don't forget Bo's imaginary composite girlfriends. God knows what they really were!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
If this is the "dirt" on Mitt..what more is there to say? They are really reaching here. No rules were broken...sometimes people who know each other see one another at church...that is hardly "dating"...Ann went to France...for school....that is hardly a sin. Yeah...she was probably chasing Mitt...and keeping tabs on him. Wow...imagine a 19 year old girl doing that!

Yes....we are talking about people at age NINETEEN!!! Reality check! No crime here...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Starr your own thread about that if you want. Ths one' about Mitt not being contrained by his faith, if it gets in his way.
Speaking of which, neither is Obama. He's a murderer. Killed a man without a trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections