Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I'd watch the insults if I were you. I guess it's all in the interpretation, right. Well, since the LAW can't be changed, obama's lawsuit is asking for the military to be shorted the extra days. and we know why. Military votes republican.

I have seen NO definitive proof, can't call obama campaign's squeals as proof, that this story is a lie.

Military groups are joining lawsuit against obama. I guess they are duped in the lie too right?
Guess you don't understand what it means to restrict voter rights, which makes sense because the Republicans have been on the warpath this past four years to limit voter rights across the country, so when you see something that is the opposite, it must be the opposition wanting to restrict voter rights.

Wanting everyone in the state of Ohio to have the extended time to vote is called the opposite of restriction...if he was asking for less or demanding IDs that not everyone has, then that would be called a restriction...you know, like the restrictions your Republicans are fighting for that Fox News have been keeping quiet about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so comprehension challenged. Here it is again, from a few posts back:

"So no, they aren’t trying to block military members from getting to the polls, but arguing that since the polls will be open anyway, everyone else should have access to them as well."

See? No one is trying to block anyone, they're trying to EXTEND ACCESS TO ALL VOTERS. Did you get it this time? Need it repeated a third time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 01:51 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
I'd watch the insults if I were you. I guess it's all in the interpretation, right. Well, since the LAW can't be changed, obama's lawsuit is asking for the military to be shorted the extra days. and we know why. Military votes republican.
What would you call it when someone can't understand that extending access to all voters for three days is not the same as "asking for the military to be shorted those three days"? I would say someone who has difficulty understanding the difference might have a problem with comprehension. No insult, just an observation.

Quote:
Military groups are joining lawsuit against obama. I guess they are duped in the lie too right?
If they are fed the story the way Breitbart wrote it and the way you and others continually mischaracterize it, then yes, they are probably being duped by the far right. But then, anyone who wants to believe it from the start won't be hard to dupe.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Generally parroting the same right wing lies that people are spewing online.

Now, how hard is this to grasp, lets go over this....

Several years back Ohio passed early voting laws giving the Military and Civilians extra time to vote. Recently the Republicans in the state changed those laws diminishing the extra time Civilians have to vote, leaving the extra time for the Military unchanged. The administration is suing seeking a reversal on the laws that took away the extra time the Civilians had and wants to go back to the previous law when both Civilians and the Military had the extra time. This changed NOTHING about the votes for the Military.

Why is it so hard for Republicans not to lie about this??

Thanks, you just saved from reading ten pages of right wing lies,

Old 08-05-2012, 02:12 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Since I KNOW the Republicans wouldn't attempt to disenfranchise the military, and since I KNOW Democrats DID attempt to do that in Pennsylvania, I no longer trust that the Obama Campaign would be so altruistic.

I've seen Holder drop cases of voter intimidation, I've seen Holder sue States for Voter ID Laws (which has been upheld by the SCOTUS), and Holder try to stop States from taking dead people and dogs off the voting rolls. But you expect me to give them the benefit of the doubt?

Sorry....ain't gonna happen.
Axelrod defends suit on Ohio military voting law, calls Romney's stance 'shameful' | Fox News

Old 08-05-2012, 02:45 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,714,837 times

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha........and someone said that Breitbart was a biased source????

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Old 08-05-2012, 03:01 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:

I have seen NO definitive proof, can't call obama campaign's squeals as proof, that this story is a lie.

Lying AGAIN, where in the lawsuit is it being asked that the Military be shorted the extra days?? Where?? It doesn't. The lawsuit is seeking to have the extra days Republicans took away from the Civilians restored.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 PM

Fifteen military groups spoke out in opposition to the Obama Administration’s federal lawsuit to restrict military voting in Ohio.

They claim the Ohio suit is threatening certain voter protections that they have as service members.

Bloomberg reported:
The National Guard Association of the United States and more than a dozen other fraternal military groups asked a U.S. judge for permission to intervene in and oppose a lawsuit filed by President Barack Obama’s campaign challenging the fairness of Ohio’s early voting rules.

The campaign sued Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine and Secretary of State Jon Husted on July 17, claiming the state’s two-tiered early voting process violates the U.S. Constitution’s guarantees of equal protection under the law.

State law allows families of armed forces members and civilians overseas to vote through the Monday before an election while early voting for all other Ohioans ends the preceding Friday. The campaign seeks a court order invalidating the statutes.

“Members of the U.S. Armed Forces risk their lives to keep this nation safe and defend the fundamental constitutional right to vote,” the military groups said in in their request to intervene in the case.

“The Obama campaign’s and Democratic National Committee’s argument that it is arbitrary and unconstitutional to afford special consideration, flexibility, and accommodations to military voters to make it easier for them to vote in person is not only offensive, but flatly wrong as a matter of law,” the groups said.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
“Members of the U.S. Armed Forces risk their lives to keep this nation safe and defend the fundamental constitutional right to vote,” the military groups said in in their request to intervene in the case.
Isn't that the point, extending this early vote to all Ohioans because our Armed Forces risked their lives to keep the nation save and the right for all to vote, not just some.

It is funny how expanding voting is an issue with Republicans who have been focused on limiting voting to many Americans, which is the opposite of what our military fight and protect.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Isn't that the point, extending this early vote to all Ohioans because our Armed Forces risked their lives to keep the nation save and the right for all to vote, not just some.

Ummmmmm...HELLO????

ANY Ohioan can vote 35 days before the election....they are ALL sent letters asking if they want to.

NO ONE is restricting every single Ohio resident their chance to vote.

But the Obama campaign says that allowing the military an extra 3 days is “arbitrary” with “no discernible rational basis.”

Old 08-05-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Ummmmmm...HELLO????

ANY Ohioan can vote 35 days before the election....they are ALL sent letters asking if they want to.

NO ONE is restricting every single Ohio resident their chance to vote.

But the Obama campaign says that allowing the military an extra 3 days is “arbitrary” with “no discernible rational basis.”
And everyone in Ohio should also have those three extra days, no one should have extra time without it being available to everyone. Unless you support limiting voter rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections