Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times

Advertisements

First, Mormons ARE Christians.

Romney will push a Mormon agenda on all Americans like Kennedy pushed Catholicism on all Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,504 times
I doubt that he would push Mormonism on the american peeps.

Kennedy pushed his religion on the american people? This is the first I heard.

I'm a President Obama supporter by the way.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mormon woman cannot be priests, just as Catholic women cannot be priests.
So, no worthy Mormon female members then- what any other church does is no defense. But, then, according to you a High Priest is nothing special any way. Oops, which makes the female Mormon position less than nothing in your view.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
More B.S.
Hey, what's with the insult? A difference of opinion doesn't happen to be B.S.

Quote:
You conveniently left off this part of my post:

Quote:
To be ordained a high priest in the Melchizedek Priesthood is a great honor and responsibility because the example for those holding this office is the Savior Himself. .....

The High Priests Quorum - Ensign June 2005 - ensign
I didn't "conveniently" leave off anything. I didn't comment on one thing you said. So what? You didn't comment on every word of my post either.

Quote:
Where does a "High Priest" fall within the hierarchy of the Mormon Church?

The Mormon priesthood is divided into two "branches" for lack of a better term. The first, which is considered the "lower" or "temporal" branch is the Aaronic Priesthood, so named after Aaron, the brother of Moses, who was placed in charge of the temporal concerns of the people. The higher or more "spiritual" priesthood is called the Melchizedek Priesthood, called after the name of the ancient High Priest of Salem to whom Abraham paid tithes according to the Bible. Within the Melchizedek Priesthood, there are three offices, the highest being "High Priest". The office of High Priest, is required to serve in virtually every leadership position of the Mormon Church from the organized congregational level and higher. Even the president of the Church, who is sustained as a prophet, seer, and revelator, is a High Priest. Mitt Romney, who served as a Regional Church leader is a High Priest.........

What's a High Priest?
I'm sorry, I still don't see what you're getting at. We believe that the priesthood is the power given by God to mortal men to act in His name. We believe that it is passed from someone who holds it to someone else. In other words, an individual must hold that authority in order to confer it upon someone else.

Quote:
Maybe you can answer this: Of course, many Mormons graduate from college, but do any high office holders, including the President have to be graduates with some sort of degree in Divinity or religious studies? Or, as it seems, are they "appointed by the Savior" and move up in the church by approval of other higher-ups who were previously approved- kind of like moving up in a business or law firm?
There is not one single solitary LDS Church leader who has a divinity degree or anything remotely similar. Of the men in the top 15 leadership positions in the LDS Church today, all have college degrees, but none in religious studies. A number of them have masters and doctorates from Yale, Harvard, George Washington University, Purdue, and Duke. One was Senior Vice President of flight operations at Lufthansa Airlines, another was a noted cardiovascular surgeon, another U.S. Supreme Court Justice to Earl Warren. One worked on the staff of Adm. Hyman Rickover, developing military and private nuclear power reactors, another a university president. When they were called to their positions of leadership in the Church, they immediately discontinued what were, in most instances, fairly lucrative careers to serve in less financially rewarding positions with the Church. Yes, they do "move up" in seniority. When the current President of the Church dies, his likely successor will be the one who has the most seniority (in terms of years of service). There is no campaigning for the position of President of the Church. And yes, since you brought the matter up, we do believe they are "appointed by the Savior." Who would be better qualified to choose them?

Quote:
I don't care what kind of clothes they wear or how old they are, or that they "sit in church", or that there are a lot of them (for example... At the end of 2007, Vatican records listed 408,024 Catholic priests in the world...) Mormon High Priests have status, duties, and covenants/allegiances according to all the information I can find, and are in fact on the path to possibly become President/Profit- er Prophet (Freudian slip).
Any baptized Mormon has a status, dutues and has taken upon himself covenants with God. This goes for women as well as for men. It's pretty evident that you really don't have a very good grasp of what it means to be a high priest in the LDS Church, and from the way this conversation is going, I get the feeling that this is the way you'd like to keep it. The way a man becomes a high priest is by practicing his religion and attain a certain age. (By the way, your Freudian slip was pretty lame, and not the slightest bit original.)

Quote:
Please use citations to back up your answer. Thanks!
Citations to back up what specifically?

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-06-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
First, Mormons ARE Christians.

Romney will push a Mormon agenda on all Americans like Kennedy pushed Catholicism on all Americans?
To his credit, Kennedy actually confronted those fears and spoke eloquently about respecting his religion, while also maintaining the strict separation of Church and State.

Romney on the other hand, has handled the issue in the same way he seems to handle everything else, with evasiveness and his usual sense of entitlement.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
I disagree with this -- Don't buy into someone else's misguided Dogma because it's convenient or politically correct. Fiction is fiction, no matter how many times they try and spin this nonsense.
"The most merciful thing that a large family does to one of its infant members is to kill it."

Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
So you, along with several interracial couples, must have "temple recommends" since the general public (gentiles) and those without a "recommend" can attend chapel, but not temple.
Me along with every LDS couple who wishes to go to the temple. Not all LDS couples can go to the temple. In order to receive a "temple recommend," a person must meet certain standards of belief and conduct.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
So, no worthy Mormon female members then- what any other church does is no defense. But, then, according to you a High Priest is nothing special any way. Oops, which makes the female Mormon position less than nothing in your view.
Should I assume that "" means you would prefer I not comment? Let me ask you something: If you were me, how long would you continue to try to carry on a civil conversation with a group of people who weren't the slightest bit interested in doing anything but demean you and your religion? I've really tried pretty hard to respond honestly and thoroughly to the points that have been raised in this forum, but eventually I suspect that my patience will wear thin and I will just leave you all to continue your negative comments.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Romney on the other hand, has handled the issue in the same way he seems to handle everything else, with evasiveness and his usual sense of entitlement.
What question specifically would you like to see Romney answer?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
I would think a believer would look at the policies a candidate would bring to the table that are in line with what God thinks and wants for His people. God is not too wild about "religious" people. And I'm not talking about denominations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections