Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm just interested to see how the Democrats will get Americans to hate these people.
You don't have to hate them. But his ideas, people won't tolerate, and its why he is a terrible pick for VP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 04:32 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I'm 54, and therefore am one of the people to whom Paul Ryan is saying, tough s**t that you paid into the system for 40 years (yes, I got my first job at 14). Here's a voucher--good luck trying to buy your own coverage. And this from a guy who went to college using Social Security benefits. Paul "good-enough-for-me-but-not-for-thee" Ryan.

Romney and Ryan, the perfect pair. Their campaign slogan should be: "We got ours, screw the rest of you."
I'm 35 and not counting on getting back a dime of all I've paid in SS and Medicare. Our current government spending is out of control and unsustainable. Obama and the dems have made it clear they have no plans to deal with that. In fact, during the 2 years that had complete control, they spent like drunken sailors.
I follow a budget at home, I make good decisions about where to spend and cut. I want leaders who are willing to do the same. If we don't make some hard decisions soon, SS and Medicare will be the least of our worries.

ETA: I wouldn't support a plan that took away SS and Medicare from those 55 and older. They don't have time to plan differently.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I'm 35 and not counting on getting back a dime of all I've paid in SS and Medicare. We are on an unsustainable path. Obama and the dems have made it clear they have no plans to deal with that. In fact, during the 2 years that had complete control, they spent like drunken sailors.
I follow a budget at home, I make good decisions about where to spend and cut. I want leaders who are willing to do the same. If we don't make some hard decisions soon, SS and Medicare will be the least of our worries.
The boomers now at the age of SS will have paid in more than they will get back.
This is the first generation that has paid in all their working lives.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You don't have to hate them. But his ideas, people won't tolerate, and its why he is a terrible pick for VP
In your opinion. But the Obama campaign has been one long hate fest so far. Like Paul Krugman's blog today....

"What I do know is that anyone who believes in Ryan’s carefully cultivated image as a brave, honest policy wonk has been snookered...he is, in fact, a big fraud, who doesn’t care at all about fiscal responsibility, and whose policy proposals are sloppy as well as dishonest. Of course, this means that he’ll fit in to the Romney campaign just fine."

"snookered.....fraud......sloppy.....dishonest.... .."

Music to the ears of the terminally venal.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
In your opinion. But the Obama campaign has been one long hate fest so far. Like Paul Krugman's blog today....

"What I do know is that anyone who believes in Ryan’s carefully cultivated image as a brave, honest policy wonk has been snookered...he is, in fact, a big fraud, who doesn’t care at all about fiscal responsibility, and whose policy proposals are sloppy as well as dishonest. Of course, this means that he’ll fit in to the Romney campaign just fine."

"snookered.....fraud......sloppy.....dishonest.... .."

Music to the ears of the terminally venal.

Thats not a personal attack, its an attack on things like expanding medicare under Bush, which Ryan voted for. Then to complain about it by killing the program to a voucher system some years later is a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

Its why Ryan isn't popular with real conservatives, he isn't serious about balancing the budget, why cut taxes? Balance the budget quicker.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
LOL, Mitt has already stated he will not back Ryans' budget plan. No one is afraid of the Odd Couple

Old 08-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
LOL, Mitt has already stated he will not back Ryans' budget plan. No one is afraid of the Odd Couple
Well from some of the comments here, seniors today are running scared because they think if Romney gets elected their medicare will stop on 1/21/2013.

I do hope those scared seniors realize that there will be $50 billion in cuts to their medicare on 1/1/2013 regardless of who gets elected.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well from some of the comments here, seniors today are running scared because they think if Romney gets elected their medicare will stop on 1/21/2013.

I do hope those scared seniors realize that there will be $50 billion in cuts to their medicare on 1/1/2013 regardless of who gets elected.

"I'm very supportive of the Ryan budget plan. It's a bold and exciting effort on his part and on the part of the Republicans and it's very much consistent with what I put out earlier."

Mitt Romney

Romney endorses Ryan budget - POLITICO.com

Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Well they can relax, because first off Mitt does not agree with Ryan on medicare, funny aint it, and secondly Mitt isn't going to win in November. There ya go, all solved

Old 08-11-2012, 05:32 PM

I think Romney/Ryan is a much more formidable team than McCain/Palin was in 2008.
Obama is right to be scared. He now has some history of leadership (past 3.5 years) and people will remember all those promises he made and didn't keep.

This is not going to be a repeat of 2008 with an easy win by Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections