U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:36 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,222,045 times

Advertisements

Ryan, Wyden back a new Medicare option - Jennifer Haberkorn - POLITICO.com

http://budget.house.gov/uploadedfiles/wydenryan.pdf

Say what you want about Congressman Ryan being an extremist, but he recognizes the need for bipartisanship and working with the other side in this era of great polarization. That is laudable and everyone should acknowledge his willingness to compromise regardless of whether you support his ideas. The tea party doesn't like compromise (neither do Obama or most Democrats, but that's neither here nor there) so Ryan deserves a lot of credit for being willing to compromise his principles. Sure, principles are very important, but compromise is imperative to get things done - and Ryan has shown that he can be pragmatic and not a rigid ideologue.

Obama opposed this bipartisan plan. There were allegations that this plan - though it was significantly different from Ryan's original plan - would also "end Medicare as we know it." I wonder why Democrats have been unwilling to allege that Senator Wyden wants to "throw Granny off the cliff"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 12:41 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,157,996 times
So what? There are plenty of stupid democrats.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Stupid? Ron Wyden is quite intelligent, as is Paul Ryan. And unlike most other politicians, they are both courageous.

At least the two of them had the balls to actually try and work together to come up with a solution to the problem, both sacrificing ideological purity to do so.

What is your solution?

Obama has proposed absolutely nothing to solve the problem. The current system is unsustainable. Burying your head in the sand does not change that.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 08-12-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM

29,357 posts, read 39,787,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Wyden is not among them. Romney is lying as usual. The facts:

Sen. Wyden says Romney is 'talking nonsense' about Wyden's Medicare work with Paul Ryan | OregonLive.com

Bipartisanship requires that you not make up the facts. I did not ‘co-lead a piece of legislation.’ I wrote a policy paper on options for Medicare. Several months after the paper came out I spoke and voted against the Medicare provisions in the Ryan budget. Governor Romney needs to learn you don't protect seniors by makings things up, and his comments today sure won't help promote real bipartisanship.”

Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Wyden is not among them. Romney is lying as usual. The facts:

Sen. Wyden says Romney is 'talking nonsense' about Wyden's Medicare work with Paul Ryan | OregonLive.com

Bipartisanship requires that you not make up the facts. I did not ‘co-lead a piece of legislation.’ I wrote a policy paper on options for Medicare. Several months after the paper came out I spoke and voted against the Medicare provisions in the Ryan budget. Governor Romney needs to learn you don't protect seniors by makings things up, and his comments today sure won't help promote real bipartisanship.”

So, when someone on your team says something it is always "factual"? Look - it's an election season, so I suppose he feels supporting his team is of paramount importance, even if it means running away from something courageous he did. In the article that you linked to, it is clearly stated that there were differences between the Medicare provisions in the Ryan budget and the bipartisan plan proposed by Ryan and Wyden.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM

I don't think saying they worked on legislation is incorrect given they were proposing a plan that would have to become a bill and be passed to be law (i.e. legislation). Sure, it never became a bill, but they didn't start working on it with the goal of just creating a brochure or something...

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 08-12-2012 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 01:20 PM

29,357 posts, read 39,787,455 times
The point is that it is hardly a bipartisan plan. And why would the support of a lone Democrat matter anyway? It is still a grossly unfair proposal that penalizes younger workers and divides Americans by generation. There are better ways to fix Medicare. This plan will be the albatross around the Reps necks this fall. Mark my words.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The point is that it is hardly a bipartisan plan. And why would the support of a lone Democrat matter anyway? It is still a grossly unfair proposal that penalizes younger workers and divides Americans by generation. There are better ways to fix Medicare. This plan will be the albatross around the Reps necks this fall. Mark my words.
We will see....

But, honestly (not getting into the partisan BS for a minute), do you have a better solution?

And why hasn't Obama proposed a solution? Why haven't other Democrats other than Wyden proposed a solution?

I'm not saying I agree with these plans completely, but I give Ryan as well as Wyden credit for actually having the balls to put something out there.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:24 PM

5,787 posts, read 3,975,451 times
Quote:
It is still a grossly unfair proposal that penalizes younger workers and divides Americans by generation. There are better ways to fix Medicare. This plan will be the albatross around the Reps necks this fall. Mark my words.

Too bad you're going to vote for the guy that has NO PLAN AT ALL.

The Choices:

1) The Obama Plan: do nothing and let Medicare go bankrupt (see below)

2) A bi-partisan Ryan/Wyden Plan that will save Medicare

The Obama Plan:

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, speaking on behalf of the Obama White House, to Rep. Paul Ryan:

Quote:
"You are right to say we're not coming before you today to say 'we have a definitive solution to that long term problem.'

What we do know is, we don't like yours."

Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,594,579 times
Wyden is no more a "Democrat" than Liebermann is. In fact they've both previously joined forces trying to block health care reform!

Lieberman Gangs Up To Block Health Care Reform
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or