Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times

Advertisements

Ryan collected survivor benefits for social security and used it to pay for college, but he wants to kill it for everyone else.

Paul Ryan: 10 Things to Know About Romney's VP Pick | InvestorPlace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,127 times
That's typical of an Ayn Rand worshipper who believe in " I got mine, screw everyone else"

Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
That's typical of an Ayn Rand worshipper who believe in " I got mine, screw everyone else"
He may not have been able to pay for college without Social Security. What a hypocrite. He is totally against it but has no problem when it benefits him.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Ryan collected survivor benefits for social security and used it to pay for college, but he wants to kill it for everyone else.

He's a REPUBLICAN....cheating , grasping, greedy, lying, dog in the manger, hypoctical, dishonest, and just plain nasty....but..

He has Really Stupid People fooled because he tells them what they want to hear and he can catch catfish.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
He may not have been able to pay for college without Social Security. What a hypocrite. He is totally against it but has no problem when it benefits him.
Since he helped "deplete" and "ruin" SS maybe he should do the right thing and PAY IT BACK!!!!

The right thing? A Republican???? Never.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Default Nice try, Ryan saves SS and Medicare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Nice try, but Ryan's plan saves both Social Security and Medicare, both of which are on paths which are unsustainable.

Democrats have failed to address the looming death of both of these plans, but Paul Ryan, whose mother lives in Florida and receives both Social Security and Medicare, has offered a plan which not only saves both, but offers more options for future beneficiaries.

On Medicare:
To strengthen the Medicare program to serve the needs of both current and future retirees, the budget would reform the Medicare program and put it on sound financial footing for generations to come. For those workers currently under the age of 55, beginning in 2023, those seniors would be given a choice of private plans competing alongside the traditional fee-for-service option on a newly created Medicare Exchange. Medicare would provide a premium-support payment either to pay for or offset the premium of the plan chosen by the senior.

ObamaCare robs Medicare of $700 B

Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Default ObamCare Robs $700 B from Medicare

Quote:

Interesting that you fail to mention the $700 B that ObamaCare robs from Medicare, accelerating it's complete demise.

The certain death of Medicare is addressed by the Paul Ryan budget, which saves it for future generations and changes nothing for those now receiving benefits.

Also addressed by the Ryan budget is Social Security, which is also currently on a path to insolvency.

The Democrats have failed to tackle the tough issues repeatedly, and simply "kick the can down the road."

Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
It's the typical political year strategy. 'I have no plan to address these tough issues, so let's just demonize the other side.'

This was already done by the Obama campaign on Romney. Their negative ad barrage in June and July was set to make people state, 'Well, Obama hasn't done a great job, but I really don't like Romney because...'. Now, as reform measures are coming front and center, the Obama campaign has no concrete solutions, so they instead go out and demonize and attach Ryan for being a Tea Party nutcase who wants to throw your grandmother off the cliff and wants to destroy Social Security and Medicare.

Unfortunately, a segment of the population falls for this every single time. I would have thought my generation were the ones who, as highly educated as they are, would seek out the information to counter the spin on both sides and draw their own conclusions. As evidenced in this thread and on this board, however, Americans are still unable to come to conclusions for themselves and instead rely on the likes of Axelrod and Rove to shape their opinions.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:

Miss information and fear mongering....

Giving you and me both a choice, instead of a mandate, is not killing anything. It actually gives life and freedom, to the program.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Miss information and fear mongering....

Giving you and me both a choice, instead of a mandate, is not killing anything. It actually gives life and freedom, to the program.
I would agree and add that it would spur competition and lower costs if it were truly a choice. But it is nothing but a false promise, because at the heart of the Ryan plan is a coupon program that provides only enough to cover perhaps 1/3 of what a plan having similar benefits to today's Medicare would have. There is no limit that seniors would pay for copays and coinsurance and no coverage at all for prescriptions. Sickness means bankruptcy for them. When costs go up, as they always will, seniors will be tied to a formula that makes their coupon cover less and less. They will have to make this up out of pocket. No problem for the wealthly of course, but people who worked at low paying jobs and have little savings beyond their homes will do without medical care and be forced to choose between a roof over their heads, food in the fridge, or death. I guess this is your Republican idea of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections