Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,647 times

Advertisements

I think the founding Fathers had the right of it,,, only property owners were allowed to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This Supreme Court isn't going to do anything about Republicans rigging elections.
So you're saying stupid people are Democrats? I agree...

Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
I secretly snapped this photo of a top level Republican party meeting, complete with word balloon:

Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I think the founding Fathers had the right of it,,, only property owners were allowed to vote.
Spoken like a true republican.
First of all some founding founders argued the point and eventually lost out because of the obvious stupidity and unfairness of such a self-serving law.
Let me guess - you're a property owner.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
"I have a problem. My dad, a vet, won't be allowed to vote in Pa. because he does not drive, he is elderly, and can't prove his citizenship."

-Jim Cramer, CNBC

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...id.php?ref=fpa

"Nearly one-fourth of the senior citizen voters who have cast a ballot in the past 50 consecutive elections (including November 2011) lack a valid state-issued ID and could be prevented from casting a ballot in November, according to a new PA AFL-CIO analysis of data provided by the state."

While a top state Republican bragged that the voter ID law would help Mitt Romney win Pennsylvania, it nearly cost them at least one Republican supporter. Helen Taylor, an 81-year-old from Doylestown who wants to vote for Romney, wasn’t aware the voter ID law would prevent her from voting until she was contacted by TPM. She no longer drives, and her licence expired a few years ago after she got into an accident.

“I mean, here I am, I’m 80-years-old, I live in a retirement community,” Taylor said. “I definitely want to vote."

Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Could Disenfranchise ‘Super Voters’ | TPMMuckraker

Seems like seniors are disproportionately affected by the GOP's disenfranchisement law. I wonder how many of them will arrive at their polling places only to find out they have been removed from the rolls? Since seniors seem to be a strong constituency for the GOP, it could be that good number of Republicans get caught in that net...

Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I secretly snapped this photo of a top level Republican party meeting, complete with word balloon:

Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"I have a problem. My dad, a vet, won't be allowed to vote in Pa. because he does not drive, he is elderly, and can't prove his citizenship."

-Jim Cramer, CNBC

Jim Cramer: Voter ID Law Will Disenfranchise My Dad | TPMMuckraker

"Nearly one-fourth of the senior citizen voters who have cast a ballot in the past 50 consecutive elections (including November 2011) lack a valid state-issued ID and could be prevented from casting a ballot in November, according to a new PA AFL-CIO analysis of data provided by the state."

Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Could Disenfranchise ‘Super Voters’ | TPMMuckraker

Seems like seniors are disproportionately affected by the GOP's disenfranchisement law. Since seniors seem to be a strong constituency for the GOP, it could be that good number of Republicans get caught in that net...

Ummmmm........they can vote BY MAIL and his legality to do so will be checked later.

It says right on the PA Voting website that NO ONE WILL BE TURNED AWAY FROM VOTING.

If for any reason you can't do it in person, you can mail in a provisional ballot.

Pennsylvania has covered every base and made sure there is no disenfranchisement of anyone except those who want to cheat.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,923 times
How much was spent in Pennsylvania to pass and fight this law? How much will it cost taxpayers to implement theses laws and provide 'free' photo id's? How does that compare to the number of voter fraud cases found in Pennsylvania?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
How much was spent in Pennsylvania to pass and fight this law? How much will it cost taxpayers to implement theses laws and provide 'free' photo id's? How does that compare to the number of voter fraud cases found in Pennsylvania?

As the Supreme Court of the USA said.....the integrity of the sanctity of the vote trumps the small inconvenience of possessing a Voter ID card.

It's not like murder where you can give a statistic because you have a murdered body to prove that a murder took place even though no one is convicted.

We only know the number of people who are CAUGHT and without safeguards it's harder to even catch them.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
How does that compare to the number of voter fraud cases found in Pennsylvania?
A court filing by the state of Pennsylvania, ahead of a trial starting later this week on a lawsuit filed by civil rights groups against the state’s new voter fraud law, contains an astounding admission: The state signed a stipulation agreement with lawyers for the plaintiffs which acknowledges there “have been no investigations or prosecutions of in-person voter fraud in Pennsylvania; and the parties do not have direct personal knowledge of any such investigations or prosecutions in other states.”

Pennsylvania admits it: no voter fraud problem - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

In other words, there are no known cases at all in Pennsylvania, and there have never been any. No one has ever even done an investigation to SEE if it is a problem. You can see why this was so urgent, and needed to be "fixed" immediately. Oh, it is a "fix" all right.

There is only one reason this law was passed, and I'll let Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R) explain:

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, is done."

That's it, folks. The one and only reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections