Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,086,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
All things being equal wealthier people (those who earn the money not make it on investments) pay more than poor ones do. In fairness, they should get better care (more on the vouchers). But Ryan goes the other way. Is that just?

BTW, have you noticed how similar RyanCare is to ObamaCare? It is no accident as both the plans are outgrowths of the conservative alternative to HillaryCare put forth by the Heritage Foundation years ago. People get to choose among insurance options on an exchange and pay for that based on a sliding scale inversely to income. Obamacare purports to hold down costs by the same mechanism you claim RyanCare would - insurance industry competition- while promoting choice. So why do you oppose ObamaCare while defending Ryan's very similar approach? Do we even need Ryans program? Why not just let retirees go/stay on ObamaCare and pay more for the choice of plan they take?

Obama care takes $700 billion from Medicare
Obama care ends Medica Advantage as we know it
Up to 15% of providers will stop seeing Medicare pats, (let alone Medicaid), limiting access
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,167,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Keep investing on your own in addition to paying into Social Security. I do it.

ANY argument that social security isn't needed went straight out the window when so many who were ready to retire the end of the last decade suddenly found decades of investments worth diddly squat.

Why is pragmatism and REALITY such a foreign concept to the American people?
THIS We learned the same lesson with our college savings for our kids--they were decimated when the market crashed. We had to double up and make huge sacrifices to put us back in shape to be ready for our first one going off this fall, and thankfully he was able to pull in major scholarships as well. I can't imagine what type of shape we would have been in if it had been our retirement savings instead, and if we had been retirement age and unable to work and save to build them back. We're in our 50s, and we have friends and family who went through exactly what you described--their retirement investments were GONE after the market crash, but they had no way of rebuilding them, and without SS they'd be living with their kids or on the streets. Privatizing SS is the worst idea EVER.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,167,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
ANd it is my risk, who are you to tell me I shouldn't be allowed too?
Because if you lose it all, the rest of us are going to be responsible for taking care of you through welfare, etc.

38,952 posts, read 50,866,357 times
Quote:
When you lose, you will expect the rest of us to pick up the tab for you.

3,695 posts, read 4,960,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Our generation better be concerned. Just because they won't affect you or me personally doesn't mean it won't be a detriment or bring hardship to those older than us, including our parents, grandparents, and other relatives. Expect to see more seniors living with or being supported by their children if traditional Medicare is replaced with Ryan's voucher program.
Or even worse what about our children? My family has taken care of elderly relatives and without Medicare and Medicaid its current form the bills would be unmanageable. I would hate to break the bank of whoever takes care of me in old age cause a $6,000 voucher will not be enough for an insurance company to make a profit when you have patients costing $1,000 or more a month.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM

38,952 posts, read 50,866,357 times
Quote:
Up to 15% of providers will stop seeing Medicare pats, (let alone Medicaid), limiting access
Empty talking points.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:52 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,551,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
SS is unsustainable as it currently exists. That is a FACT....Is anyone willing to help right the ship or are we all just going to insist on getting our share while watching it sink?
We could always just raise the payroll contribution on incomes over $100,000.

(Cue: shrieking, gnashing and wailing)

Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Been said twice before, but when you are old and feeble and don't have the money to get the care you need, we taxpayers will have to pony up for your care.
You obviously have NO CLUE what a good health plan costs now, for someone UNDER 65. Do a little research.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,872,826 times
Quote:
Not accurate, the plan is closer to 15K, with more for those whoa re elderly or more sick. Premiums would be higher for the wealthy. Why should the Govt continue to apy the full ride, are you telling me people actually pay equally into Medicare to what they spend?
You say it is closer to $15K, that's contrary to everything I read. So, please document where you get $15K.

Then, Medicare works like any group policy, everyone pays the same. Medicare taxes are based on a percent of income not how much I will use 40 years in the future. My coworker has seven kids and he pays the same group-rate as I do. No group policy accesses different rates to different members. And the government doesn't take the full ride -- I paid into that fund and that makes me entitled.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,920,956 times
Quote:
Do you have any links for #s 2 & 3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections