Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I thought Paul had withdrawn to keep from splitting things. I was very shocked when I heard that Dirty Harry's state had done that.
Why shocked? I guess they didn't think they have to submit and allow themselves to pushed around by the mainstream GOP leaders. They prefer a real conservative, which is why they supported RP.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I find it increasingly irritating to see the announcements. Ron Paul got 15 votes from Nevada, and Romney got 5. The announcement was "Nevada - 5 votes for Mitt Romney". No mention of Ron Paul, although he won neveda.
It will be interesting to see of Ron Paul supporters decide not to vote for Romney.

Ron Paul movement not ready to pass torch to Rand

Quote:
There’s a great deal of hostility among long-time Paul supporters at the convention about the way that the Romney campaign has treated them in the last few days. After they received several concessions in the party platform, the RNC’s credentials committee voted to exclude pro-Paul Maine delegates, and then Mitt Romney’s top lawyer rammed through a series of rule changes designed to hinder outsider candidates.

Before Tuesday’s program kicked off, scores of Paul supporters chanted loudly, “Let him speak! Let him speak!” That prompted a retort from some Romney backers, who shouted back, “Romney! Romney!” Later in the program, Paul supporters nearly drowned out House Speaker John Boehner with chants of “Seat Maine Now!” regarding a dispute over delegates from the state.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
I find it increasingly irritating to see the announcements. Ron Paul got 15 votes from Nevada, and Romney got 5. The announcement was "Nevada - 5 votes for Mitt Romney". No mention of Ron Paul, although he won neveda.
They let RP out of the nut house for the weekend. He is a complete fool and I'll be glad when he is gone far from politics.. He is as insane as his followers..

Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Now people are walking out in protest. They are furious.
Your BS meter is pegged on that story. No truth at all...

Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
I have not been watching (there is some paint I want to see dry), however, I find your observation interesting. Has it been so for all of the States?

For you youngsters, traditionally, in both parties, during the casting of the votes by state delegates, the leader of a state delegation (such as Texas, for example) would stand up, and say something like

"The Great State of Texas hereby casts one vote for (fill in blank: the 'favorite son' vote), five votes for Ron Paul, and 25 votes for the next President of the United States, Donald Trump!"

If the party somehow got the various state delegate leaders to agree to not even mention Mr. Paul: well, I'm aghast.

Note to the slower thinkers: the "Donald Trump" reference was a joke. Humor. Oh, never mind.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Your BS meter is pegged on that story. No truth at all...
Did you watch the roll call? I guess you did not. The RP supporters stormed out and some stayed in the hallways and they were fuming.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have not been watching (there is some paint I want to see dry), however, I find your observation interesting. Has it been so for all of the States?

For you youngsters, traditionally, in both parties, during the casting of the votes by state delegates, the leader of a state delegation (such as Texas, for example) would stand up, and say something like

"The Great State of Texas hereby casts one vote for (fill in blank: the 'favorite son' vote), five votes for Ron Paul, and 25 votes for the next President of the United States, Donald Trump!"

If the party somehow got the various state delegate leaders to agree to not even mention Mr. Paul: well, I'm aghast.

Note to the slower thinkers: the "Donald Trump" reference was a joke. Humor. Oh, never mind.
Yes, they did that, and when the NV rep announced the score: 15 for Ron Paul and 5 for Romney, the chairpersons on the podium announced with a big smile "5 votes for Romney", and said nothing about Paul winning the state. The two women on the podium ran the roll call and repeated all the scores from the states. It was them who refused to mention Ron paul's name.

I felt sorry for the Delaware rep. He froze completely and forgot what he was going to say. Very awkward.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The thing that bothers me most on this thread is the number of anti-Republican people who are so worried about this one. Why do you give a damn if the establishment causes the GOP to lose this fall? I really would like to know this.
None of the anti-Republicans gives a tinker's damn about the RNC. Paul supporters wouldn't vote for Romney anyway, and especially not the OP. All the feigned outrage is amusing to watch.

It is perfectly acceptable to support Ron Paul, but it easy to see Romney's point of view. Paul has openly said he doesn't fully support Romney as the nominee even after the platform was molded around Paul ideas.

It seems that Paul supporters are more interested in the "show" than the "substance", so let them take their ball and go home, dividing the party in the process. If conservatives are going to have to kiss Paul's behind to placate his bunch of malcontents, then let Obama have it all.

That appears to have been the plan all along. Paul has never been a Republican from the beginning, and threw his hat into the Republican ring simply because he's had his ass handed to him outside the two major parties.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
amazing the GOP won't show the support RP has. what are they worried about? this is a great way for them to turn potential voters against them. doesn't matter if the powers at be like RP or not, it is obvious he has a following and their voices should be heard.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM

39 posts, read 25,132 times
Quote:
No, they will vote for RP. So will I, but that was decided a long time ago. Those RP supporters in the hallway were pretty upset.
Ron Paul supporters will never vote for Romney. They'll either write in Paul or vote for Gary Johnson. The GOP just gave the election to Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yup, the election is over. No major party can alienate 20 percent of their base and beat an incumbent. I'm not a huge Obama fan, but I'll enjoy November nonetheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If I were you, I'd worry more about Ron Paul losing by repeated major landslides, than whether a convention changes its rules in ways that won't affect the outcome at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections