Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:41 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If I was judged and questioned on all the actions of my kids, I would probably not have employment today.

Mitt should be questioned on his own choices and values. Not those of his entire family.

Exactly and even the actions of his children in this regard has nothing to do with what Mitt Romney believes. He doesn't support personhood legislation of such an extreme nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Any birth control pill that is used correctly and marketed at this time, does not cause what could be termed abortion. The morning after pill is not a birth control pill by the way, but a megadose of those hormones not found in the birth control pills when used as prescribed.
Let's not forget that the official Republican stance is for personhood.....which would ban abortions in the case of rape.......and also BAN THE MORNING AFTER PILL......so women wouldn't even be allowed to prevent a rape pregnancy.

Let's not forget that Mitt chose a running mate that co-sponsored the Sanctity of Life Act.

Let's not forget that Ryan will be one heartbeat away from the Presidency.

And let's not forget that the next President will appoint judges to the Supreme Court.

Romney should have chosen a running mate that shared his beliefs.....he didn't.....and now he is going to have to live with the consequences.

Last edited by Annie53; 08-25-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Any birth control pill that is used correctly and marketed at this time, does not cause what could be termed abortion. The morning after pill is not a birth control pill by the way, but a megadose of those hormones not found in the birth control pills when used as prescribed.
Actually, most oral contraceptives can potentially prevent implantation, although that might not be their primary method of preventing pregnancy. I agree with you--that isn't what most reasonable people would call an abortifacient, but the extreme end of the pro life movement does, and they're the same folks, like Paul Ryan, who are pushing for personhood amendments all across the country.

Overview: Birth Control : American Pregnancy Association

Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Paul Ryan is not the top of the ticket and personhood has failed in most, if not all, states where it has even gotten on the ballot as far as I know.
It's been on the ballot in both Mississippi and Colorado (twice), but voters defeated it. The efforts are gaining momentum however, and more states are pushing this every year through their state legislatures.

Ryan may not be the top of the ticket, but he's half the ticket, and he was brought on board to pull in the far right end of the base. His positions matter on this ticket. Romney has changed his mind so many times on this issue and others that I'm not sure anyone can be exactly sure what his views are on anything. I'm sure he's come out with a recent platform of his own, but who knows how long that will last if he has pressure put on him from the far end of the base--he twists whichever way the wind blows.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-25-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
No they DO NOT want to get rid of birth control pills which have nothing to do with abortion. The prevent an egg from being fertilized. Sheesh! Good Lord, some of you all need to take a basic biology class for heaven's sake! This is not directed at you, seahawkgirl, but to the goofballs on this thread spreading this propaganda.
The purpose of birth control pills is NOT to prevent an egg from being fertilized. The purpose of the "the pill" is to prevent ovulation. As some have stated, the pill may also prevent implantation should ovulation occur anyway.

Quote:
The morning after pill is actually a megadose of the same hormones used in the pill.

Levonorgestrel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Decades ago, before there was a "morning after pill" being marketed, doctors would have patients take megadoses of regualr BCP as a morning after treatment.

Before you express any more opinions on the subject of birth control, I suggest you read up on the various methods.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-25-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 11:25 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I beg to differ. Apparently the Republican Party cares quite a bit about the issue.....considering the legislative time and money they devote to restricting/banning it. Everytime you turn around another Republican legislator somewhere is introducing anti-choice legislation.

Apparently Ryan thought it was important enough to co-sponser the Sanctity of Life Act. Romney has pledged to shut down Planned Parenthoods. Why are your candidates frittering away thier time on a fringe issue instead of the economy? What does that say about THEIR priorities?

And don't think for a minute women aren't paying attention.....we fought long and hard to obtain our rights and we are not about to roll over and play dead when someone tries to take them away.....as your candidaates have pledged to do. {even though it's not important}

BTW.....don't blame the media, they are not making this stuff up......it is FACT that this kind of anti-woman legislation consistantly flows from the Republican Party.....too bad Republicans get upset when the media shines a light on what they are up to.
Cannot rep you again yet. Great post and response and thanks for saving me the trouble.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It's very easy to see how he will deal with this. He'll simply label any questions about it as "off limits" and refuse to answer them. See how easy that was?
Or tell us people we were told as much as we need to know.

Or give a flipant answer followed by, "end of story!"

Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
boy are you stretching now...If you think, for one second, social issues will play a part in this election you are a dreamer....also if you believe the nolnsense you are living in another world. We can stretch anything if we want and you are running so scared you will read and believe anything....If Romney loses it will have nothing to do with in vitro or anything else related to fertilizatioln. The only issue that would remotely sway any voter that was on the fence would be, for one of the candidates (either side) come out and completely support late term abortion. ...Even then I don't know if it would influence voters.
Yeah, I don't know why the GOP keeps making an issue out of birth control and abortion, do you?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
So, now Romney/Ryan wants to get rid of birth control pills? This just gets better and better. Next, since Ryan is Catholic y'all will say that Ryan wants to get rid of every birth control including condoms. Keep those women barefoot a preganant, right? . Distraction, distraction, distraction. After what I saw an IUD to a patient's uterus, maybe they should be banned. Her horrible infection and total hysterectomy WAS a real war on that woman. Poor thing.

They want to abolish Planned Parenthood which supplies birth control for many women.

Quote:
This is not an academic question. Thanks to state attacks on Planned Parenthood, family planning clinics all over Texas are shutting down, and if a Romney-Ryan Administration gets it way, many Title X-supported family planning clinics across this country will be shutting down, denying low-income women, particularly in rural areas, from getting access to family planning services.

More than 5 million women and men access family planning and related services every year through Title X funded clinics. This access has had a large impact, according to the Guttmacher Institute; in 2008, Title X-supported centers helped prevent 973,000 unintended pregnancies, which would have resulted in 432,600 unintended births and 406,200 abortions.

Read more: Ryan says “Nobody is proposing to deny birth control to anybody.” Really? | Care2 Causes

Old 08-26-2012, 02:28 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Yeah, in vitro is the # 1 issue that Americans are facing today! It is sure to ruin EVERYTHING for Romney/Ryan. I don't care about the economy or obama's abysmal record. Nope, now that I'm thinking about in vitro, they have lost my vote. Thanks for the info. I bet those POS's bite their nails and say curse words too.
Yeah, me, too. That in vitro is B.I.G. The election hinges on it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections