U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM
 
4,414 posts, read 3,232,798 times
Reputation: 2319

Advertisements

So, Mitt Romney, what do you really believe? - The Economist


"We share many of his views about the excessive growth of regulation and of the state in general...But competence is worthless without direction and, frankly, character."


This is scathing coming from the archly classically conservative Economist. Is this another signal that the coalition of business and far-right social conservatives is straining the Republican Party as it heads towards the convention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Eastern NC
18,194 posts, read 16,717,194 times
Reputation: 16044
Too bad that consevatives are willing to let their beliefs fly into the wind to support such a man. Their outright hatred of Obama has blinded them to who Romney truely is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
 
10,115 posts, read 6,749,199 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So, Mitt Romney, what do you really believe? - The Economist


"We share many of his views about the excessive growth of regulation and of the state in general...But competence is worthless without direction and, frankly, character."


This is scathing coming from the archly classically conservative Economist. Is this another signal that the coalition of business and far-right social conservatives is straining the Republican Party as it heads towards the convention?
That's just it, and I've said this since he entered the primary--he's willing to say anything to win, he's held a variety of positions at odds with each other on lots of key issues, and the end result is that you have no idea what he really believes. On top of that he's unwilling to share the most basic information about himself, but we're supposed to trust what he says. I knew he was going to have big trouble in a general--he's a really flawed candidate--and here we are. Character does count.

In fairness to Mitt, I don't know how any R except someone like Jeb Bush, who can hold the far right in line, could keep this race together successfully. A big chunk of it isn't his fault--it was dumped on him when the Koch brothers heavily funded the extremist end of the base in 2010 and gave them a strong voice in the party. It's impossible for them not to over reach, because they don't see politics as compromise--they see it as "true believers" and ideology. Mitt's trying to cater to the extremists, the moderate/independents and the business community all at once. No one can do that successfully. It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,270,504 times
Reputation: 5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's just it, and I've said this since he entered the primary--he's willing to say anything to win, he's held a variety of positions at odds with each other on lots of key issues, and the end result is that you have no idea what he really believes. On top of that he's unwilling to share the most basic information about himself, but we're supposed to trust what he says. I knew he was going to have big trouble in a general--he's a really flawed candidate--and here we are. Character does count.

In fairness to Mitt, I don't know how any R except someone like Jeb Bush, who can hold the far right in line, could keep this race together successfully. A big chunk of it isn't his fault--it was dumped on him when the Koch brothers heavily funded the extremist end of the base in 2010 and gave them a strong voice in the party. It's impossible for them not to over reach, because they don't see politics as compromise--they see it as "true believers" and ideology. Mitt's trying to cater to the extremists, the moderate/independents and the business community all at once. No one can do that successfully. It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation.
I think the Economist nailed it. That is precisely my impression of thy guy. However, you bring up a good point, being a GOP presidential candidate is hard these days. If you are not a nut case true believer (Bachmann), and dolt who does not do nuance (W), you will have to cater to a very broad audience. And if you please the far right, you are likely toast in the general election. He is walking a tight rope. Even so, the guy's character just does not ring through. I think we will see this in the debates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 05:56 PM
 
4,414 posts, read 3,232,798 times
Reputation: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think the Economist nailed it. That is precisely my impression of thy guy. However, you bring up a good point, being a GOP presidential candidate is hard these days. If you are not a nut case true believer (Bachmann), and dolt who does not do nuance (W), you will have to cater to a very broad audience. And if you please the far right, you are likely toast in the general election. He is walking a tight rope. Even so, the guy's character just does not ring through. I think we will see this in the debates.
I don't envy anyone who runs for office, least of all someone who has to be a standard bearer for a deeply fractured political party.

I've stated this numerous times on this board that in more normal times a Mitt Romney presidency would be fine. He'd likely be the center-right administrator that he was in Massachusetts and a good steward of the office. However, with the rise of the far right in the Republican Party I fear that Romney will need to prove his conservative credentials by rubber stamping whatever anti-choice, anti-science, sabre rattling and religious based legislation that comes out of Congress. His major reversal on most of his previous positions combined with decision to not address a lot issues and to not detail any of his major policies just further indicates that his policies will be whatever he his handed by those who put him in office.

This is a major flaw and for the Economist of all publications to be pointing it out is a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top