Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 02:53 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,769,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Wow. A lot of people here are obsessed with money.
Apparently some people don't get the point. This has nothing to do with money, but about Ann Romney trying to engage the working women who are the head of household and how she "connects" and "relates" to them. How she is no different from them and "understands" their struggle. How can that be possible since she has never been in a struggling working woman's position?

There are many women who have health issues but don't have the luxury of taking all the time they need to recover. Many women who need to take time from work to address health issues use their vacation and sick time. Working women usually use their vacation and sick time to be home for when their own children get sick, and when she gets sick she has to drag herself out the door because if she used all her sick and vacation time, she doesn't get paid for that day, and that missing that one day's pay could make the difference in paying the rent or buying food. Struggling working women worry about keeping the roof over the heads of the family, they worry about paying bills, they go without, their children go without, they worry about putting food on the table. These are issues that Ann Romney never experienced in her entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,769,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
She is a winner who made it, you are the opposite. Why complain because some work hard and make it?
You could have done the same, rather than stand there with a bad attitude and your hand out.
It's not Ann's fault you didn't succeed, it's YOUR fault...
LOL. Winner? What exactly did she do that makes her a "winner"? She worked hard? Worked hard at what? Again I say: LOL. I have my hand out - to who? How do you know what I've accomplished? Do you have a magic crystal ball?

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you took that poster's post the wrong way. I think she is on our side. Not 100% sure, but I think so.
But that's typical of today's conservative Republican. They're so cynical, paranoid, and suspicious that even their supporters risk being labeled their enemy.

87 posts, read 140,324 times

"Of her student days with Mitt at BYU, Ann said:
“'They were not easy years. You have to understand, I was raised in a lovely neighborhood, as was Mitt, and at BYU, we moved into a $62-a-month basement apartment with a cement floor and lived there two years as students with no income.
“'It was tiny. And I didn’t have money to carpet the floor. But you can get remnants, samples, so I glued them together, all different colors. It looked awful, but it was carpeting.
“'We were happy, studying hard. Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time.
“'The stock came from Mitt’s father. When he took over American Motors, the stock was worth nothing. But he invested Mitt’s birthday money year to year — it wasn’t much, a few thousand, but he put it into American Motors because he believed in himself. Five years later, stock that had been $6 a share was $96 and Mitt cashed it so we could live and pay for education.
“'Mitt and I walked to class together, shared housekeeping, had a lot of pasta and tuna fish and learned hard lessons.'

Wow doesn't sound like a struggle to me , even Mark Cuban ate just ketchup and mustard sandwhiches........
Their so called hard times sounds like working class good times

Ann are you serious

REALLY ????

Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
The most cringe-inducing moment for me was when Ann Romney did her impersonation of Oprah Winfrey, yelling, "I love you WOMENNNN!!!"

Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 PM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Mrs. Romney is a phony Stepford wife. Mrs. Kerry was not anyone's "shadow." For that matter, the Kennedy's were wealthy, but were very popular.

Romney's wife's speech probably did more harm than good, unless you were in a very specific female market niche to cheer on as in "Oh, good for you." I'm sure many American women were not at all endeared to her.

And that comment about "Mitt Romney, you really ought to get to know him." Oh brother. Two things: (a) it's almost September, and (b) how can we, with the secretive goings-on of the Mormon church?
I feel sorry for liberals. They clearly don't have the capacity to understand a true partnership with regards to marriage. Mrs. Kerry held the purse strings, so you could say her husband was the Stepford wife. But that's OK, because in Libland, women can't be in an equal relationship. As for the Kennedy's, please tell me one Kennedy man that wasn't a digusting womanizer.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And she forgot to mention that the basement apartment was a 7000 square-foot basement apartment.

And she and Mitt made their money? LOL. Most people who are rich today are rich because their families were rich. When you start off on third base, it's not that difficult to hit a home run.
Another lie from the left. Do you people have no shame?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,850,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Apparently some people don't get the point. This has nothing to do with money, but about Ann Romney trying to engage the working women who are the head of household and how she "connects" and "relates" to them. How she is no different from them and "understands" their struggle. How can that be possible since she has never been in a struggling working woman's position?

There are many women who have health issues but don't have the luxury of taking all the time they need to recover. Many women who need to take time from work to address health issues use their vacation and sick time. Working women usually use their vacation and sick time to be home for when their own children get sick, and when she gets sick she has to drag herself out the door because if she used all her sick and vacation time, she doesn't get paid for that day, and that missing that one day's pay could make the difference in paying the rent or buying food. Struggling working women worry about keeping the roof over the heads of the family, they worry about paying bills, they go without, their children go without, they worry about putting food on the table. These are issues that Ann Romney never experienced in her entire life.
Exactly. And that is the point many have been trying to make. It's those on the right who simply refuse to acknowledge this and keep insisting it's all about envy.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:02 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,562,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
When she has raised five boys while fighting breast cancer whose husband left her AND has to hold down a job to feed the family, she can understand. Otherwise, she is only pretending. Ann's idea of a hectic schedule is having a tennis lesson, nails done, and massage all in one afternoon.

No envy, just resent her pretending to have it hard like the majority of mothers.
You really think that what you just outlined is that majority?

Here is where your post really looks foolish - Michelle Obama only has 2 kids - no boys. She has not had breast cancer and has not had her husband leave her. She does not have to hold down a job to feed the family. By your standard, she would be pretending as well yet you don't spout this stuff about her. Why?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Exactly. And that is the point many have been trying to make. It's those on the right who simply refuse to acknowledge this and keep insisting it's all about envy.
And neither has Michelle. Yet the left drools in their adoration of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections