Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,445 times

Advertisements

Well it appears that both parties carry their stigmas.

Republicans: Rich mans beliefs
Democrats: Poor mans beliefs

I was talking to a friend of mine, 20 years old and a successful entreprenuer (true and proud of him). He did not know if he was Dem or Republican. He said he didn't think he was republican because they are rich people. I told him that being poor or rich or poor does not define you as a Dem or Republican. Each party has their very different beliefs and the their beliefs are the very reason he made his initial conclusion. I encouraged him to listen and read a little more and develop his own opinion but to base his decision on his beliefs.

He later said he decided he is Republican. He said, look, I am 20 years old and I started a business 1 1/2 years ago and I am doing really good. I hear my friends who always complaining about money but they always buy things they can't afford and setting themselves up to be poor.

He said I want to be rich and I would rather use my money to buy more inventory to sell for now. He said he can't help it but he has a drive to keep doing better. He said although we should help people but people should also try to help themselves because no one really cares how well I am living more than me. Yep, 20 years old.

If you think like a rich or poor man that is what you will be. Your thoughts are powerful.

Last edited by eRayP; 09-01-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,166 times
Quote:
The electorial college is based on the popular vote:
The electoral college is more based on the majority vote in each state, not the popular vote. For instance, here in SoDak one candidate can get 45% of the popular vote but 100% of the electoral votes will go to the other candidate. Same with all states except for Maine and Nebraska, who split their votes.

Splitting the votes sounds like it would give a truer picture of the actual vote if the electoral college stays in place. IMO more states should adopt that. JMO

Old 09-01-2012, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
The electoral college is more based on the majority vote in each state, not the popular vote. For instance, here in SoDak one candidate can get 45% of the popular vote but 100% of the electoral votes will go to the other candidate. Same with all states except for Maine and Nebraska, who split their votes.

Splitting the votes sounds like it would give a truer picture of the actual vote if the electoral college stays in place. IMO more states should adopt that. JMO
tech you are right, so I guess you could say, it is not based on popular vote, but look at it this way: a candidate wins a state by popular vote and he/she gets the electorial votes for the state. How many times has the candidate who got the most popular votes not won? Can you answer that?

This has been argued for years with no truely fair way it appears. If we did go, strickly by popular vote, the states with the highes population would control the election. Is that fair?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
...as opposed to the poverty in the Democrat Party? There is a bigger disconnect between both parties and the people than between the two parties.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so if it is a waste of time, why are you bothering to post your propaganda? The electorial college is based on the popular vote: how many times has one outweighed the other? once, twice?

You may be an independent registered voter, but reading your posts I haven't seen too much evidence of your really being an indepenent. The ones I know see both sides of the issues, that is why they are independents.
The levity of it all...........

Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The levity of it all...........
Look at him go!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections