Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times

Advertisements

So you've got a guy who lives in a house built by someone else who was a pen tycoon.

Talk about a massive thread fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Why not apply for it? Ryan's dad paid into it, so it only makes sense that the Ryans would apply for it even if it wasn't necessary. It's no indication of the family's wealth or lack of it.

BTW, it's not "success" that bothers me, it's the "I used the government ladder to get where I am, and now I'm pulling the ladder up so you little people can't". That's what pisses me off.

Ryan didn't build it.
Agreed and agreed.

I don't know why he should not be entitled to SS survivor benefits - it's not based on financial need.

Separate from that, I think his attempts at connecting with the masses are insulting.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:00 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
That house is certainly larger, and I would assume nicer, than the house I live in. However, I would not look at that house and think "mansion".

Having said that, I'm not impressed with what I see of Mr. Ryan's voting record and policy endorsement, so far. That RNC speech didn't really help, either.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Certainly sad when a child loses a parent, but I sure hope he stops regaling us with stories of his family's financial travails after his father died.

"Mr Ryan's personal wealth is estimated at around $4.5million - far beyond his congressman's salary of $174,000 per year. He inherited money from his attorney father, who died when Paul was just 16, and he also benefits from his wife's familial wealth.

Read more: Paul Ryan's $421,000 mansion which was built by Parker pen tycoon | Mail Online
Another "rich" welfare recipient who thinks he's a self made man. I think he's pretty typical of rich people.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Why not apply for it? Ryan's dad paid into it, so it only makes sense that the Ryans would apply for it even if it wasn't necessary. It's no indication of the family's wealth or lack of it.

BTW, it's not "success" that bothers me, it's the "I used the government ladder to get where I am, and now I'm pulling the ladder up so you little people can't". That's what pisses me off.

Ryan didn't build it.
I guarantee you he spent every single social security check that survivors under the age of 18 get and all through college up to age 22. But he wants to eliminate SS of course.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:06 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
S, like obama, you hate successful people..
Yes, Paul Ryan has been unquestionably successful at accepting money given to him and by working on the public dole. Just the type of entrepreneur Ayn Rand had in mind.

I forget, what jobs beyond congressman has Paul Ryan held in his life? Hias Paul ever owned or directed a business? I ask this because, apparently, that is the type of experience required to successfully run the federal government. Shouldn't the second in charge have this same type of experience?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:11 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I guarantee you he spent every single social security check that survivors under the age of 18 get and all through college up to age 22. But he wants to eliminate SS of course.
Not sure if it has been changed since he was a child, but SS survivor benefits are only paid until the age of 18- or 19 if still in elementary or secondary school.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Continuing in a long line of conservative Republicans dating back to 1935

Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Not sure if it has been changed since he was a child, but SS survivor benefits are only paid until the age of 18- or 19 if still in elementary or secondary school.
I may be out of date on this, but my wife got the benefits as long as she was a full time college student-but that was back in 1981 through '85. Her Dad died when she was 17.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:19 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Who built the home seems of little consequence. His using a program for his benefit then seeking to remove it for others is unconscionable, but not surprising. He would be mortified to realize his hero, Ann Rand would not approve of his plans in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections