Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 06:28 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
More in line with the framers of the constitution who didn't want any religion ruling their lives?

I understand that the very first Bible printed in America was published by Congress in 1782.

U.S. Capitol Tour with David Barton
Then you understand incorrectly.

David Barton Adds Another Lie to His Aitken Bible Story | This Week in Christian Nationalism

David Barton is a proven, serial liar. Even right-wing Christians are saying so.

David Barton, Christian Scholar, Faces a Backlash - The Daily Beast

So much so that his most recent lie-filled book about Thomas Jefferson was pulled by its publisher.

Publisher Pulls David Barton's Book 'Jefferson Lies'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Just saw that moving video featuring Ted Kennedy. What Kennedy stood for, the values he held dear, the ideology that he supports is far superior than anything from the Right. Great watching that debate between Kennedy and Romney where Kennedy issued a complete beat-down of a very pathetic Romney.
Values he held dear? LOL.... If leaving a woman drowning is one of those endearing values?.......

Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
We have separation of church and state. I do think that "God-given" is an accepted phrase to mean - "talents or gifts that we inherently have as individuals" sort of thing wh/ has become a term not related to "religion" (just as "act of God" is actually a descriptive legal term) . . . but it shows me that DEMs are trying to be inclusive. I don't think any religion should be dominant, which is what our Forefathers intended . . .

We need to realize, religious folks and non-religious folks alike, that the separation of church and state protects the religious just as much as it protects the rights of the non-religious. No one can force a religion on any of us or expect us to adhere to a religion's tenest other than the one we have chosen.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Oh yes I can, as I said my "god" is not yours, mine is inclusive. I'm not a christian nor was I raised one. Just because YOU do not believe in abortion or gay marriage doesn't mean I and my god don't.
Pure own-age.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This is the paragraph that was in the 2008 platform:

“We need a government that stands up for the hopes, values, and interests of working people, and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential.â€

Now the words “God-given†have been removed. The paragraph has been restructured to say this:

“We gather to reclaim the basic bargain that built the largest middle class and the most prosperous nation on Earth – the simple principle that in America, hard work should pay off, responsibility should be rewarded, and each one of us should be able to go as far as our talent and drive take us.â€
Do you see what other word has been dropped? I'll give you a hint: it also starts with a "g".

The new phrasing is actually very conservative. It praises hard word and responsibility, while the phrase "go as far as our talent and drive take us" implicitly favors competitiveness over equality.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Then you understand incorrectly.

David Barton Adds Another Lie to His Aitken Bible Story | This Week in Christian Nationalism

David Barton is a proven, serial liar. Even right-wing Christians are saying so.

David Barton, Christian Scholar, Faces a Backlash - The Daily Beast

So much so that his most recent lie-filled book about Thomas Jefferson was pulled by its publisher.

Publisher Pulls David Barton's Book 'Jefferson Lies'
I tend to take your chosen sources with a grain of salt. Not all Christian sources would agree with the above; as for the book being pulled, the reason given is "some historical details included in the book that were not adequately supported."

"Some historical details" were not "adequately" supported -- in the opinions of those who oppose Barton for who knows why.

Not unlike "global warming" which some swear by, other scientists debunk. One can pick sources to support either side.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:41 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I know, they must be as dumb as those Republicans for picking a city that sits in hurricane country during the peak of hurricane season. Yeah, I am sure you were just as critical of the Republicans over this one.
The Republicans didn't pick an open air convention venue. Or did you miss that?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Not unlike "global warming" which some swear by, other scientists debunk. One can pick sources to support either side.
If by "some" you mean most.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,391 times
Default Why separation of church & state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Democrats Drop God and Jerusalem from Party Platform - Katie Pavlich

It's not really surprising, but it is very telling.

Here's a surprise for you, Romney favors wiretapping churches, using un-Constitutional Patriot Act, which is also favored by Obama. Libertarian Gary Johnson opposes the Patriot Act. Are you for freedom or are you for "your" party? Republicans are trying to keep Gary Johnson off the ballot in many states. Why?

Obama & Romney favor NDAA allowing 100 years in prison without being charged with anything. So it would seen such a vague law could be used to prevent reading the Holy Bible or going to church. Gary Johnson is against the NDAA.

The middle ages were also called the dark ages. Do you know why? The Roman Catholic Church and the Roman govt united to have more power over the people. 95% were told it was illegal for them to read their Holy Bible or anything, or write, & the penalty was sometimes death. If people were reading or writing, they would have a candle burning after dark. If not reading or writing, their house would be dark.

The govt says if churches talk about sins of man (people), they are not taxed. But if they talk about sins of govt, they must pay taxes. Some may say churches that avoid politics get hush money. Who can you turn to for political info not biased by money? Gary Johnson does not worship money, not for sale. He is a Christian (Lutheran), but election IMO shouldn't pit one denomination against another. Best wishes.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
These Israeli firsters come in this forum and smear Americans for not bowing down to every demand Israel makes of the US.

They have no qualms about smearing Americans who stand in their way.

Both parties are tripping over themselves sending your kids to fight and die for Israeli strategic interests, and stealing your tax dollars to give their citizens Billions in military aid.

And still it's not good enough for them.

When is the left, right, and center going to start standing up to these racist, bigoted cry babies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections