Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?
YES 50 52.08%
NO 46 47.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Ahhhh... the internet.... where everyone has a mansion, 2 vacation homes, is a male or female model, has 5 boats, 6 cars.....

We all get the idea

I am really Paul Mccartney..... I spend my free time bantering on the forums for fun

Since we can hide behind computer screens and say whatever we want and be whoever we secretly want to be......
Speaking of which, so how's it going these days, from renting in a trailer park to living in your own RV... aren't you better off now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:14 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times
Better Off? You decide:

• Unemployment: 7.8% then, 8.3% now
  • Median income: $54,983 then, $50,964 now
  • Gas prices: $1.85 per gallon then, $3.78 now
  • National debt: $10.6 trillion then, $15.9 trillion now
  • Manufacturing and Construction hits lowest level in 3 years

Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
There was no link on that article to help back up the claims that it makes, it basically reads as a fluff piece, do you have a link that actually shows those claims that shows raw data, not a lawyer's interpretation of the tax cuts.

Though I will give the writer credit, he did point out any savings that were created were then squandered by Congress rather than paying for their two wars. Good job Bush and Congress for kicking that can down the road.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Better Off? You decide:

• Unemployment: 7.8% then, 8.3% now
  • Median income: $54,983 then, $50,964 now
  • Gas prices: $1.85 per gallon then, $3.78 now
  • National debt: $10.6 trillion then, $15.9 trillion now
  • Manufacturing and Construction hits lowest level in 3 years
What's the job lose rate? Or does that not fit into your narrative?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Its sad that people think they are helpless to succeed without the government.

Take away all of those things and put us back in the stone ages and I'd have found a way to generate the extra income that I wanted. I used my brain to figure out something based on the available resources around me, and worked hard to make it happen.
Friend, I will do you one better. Since you can succeed with your brain and your brain alone, why don't you try moving somewhere without a functional government, like Somalia or Afghanistan, or heck, even Egypt, and try to build a business there? You might even end up MORE successful than you were in the U.S., since you won't have to deal with all those pesky regulations and "rule of law." I know, I know, you can thank me later.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:24 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Speaking of which, so how's it going these days, from renting in a trailer park to living in your own RV... aren't you better off now?
Nice picture of yourself from your meth lab in Bakersfield..... why you hatin' there Mateo..... just because you are a neck in B Field and vote for the hand that feeds you. At least you are not one of the California losers who builds their house near a faultline

At least it is nice to know that most Californians are more intelligent than the ones I see one this site..... I probably have more friends in your state than you do

Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Friend, I will do you one better. Since you can succeed with your brain and your brain alone, why don't you try moving somewhere without a functional government, like Somalia or Afghanistan, or heck, even Egypt, and try to build a business there? You might even end up MORE successful than you were in the U.S., since you won't have to deal with all those pesky regulations and "rule of law." I know, I know, you can thank me later.
Please point out when/where I argued that the government didn't belong in the business of maintaining the rule of law and that the government shouldn't exist at all then we can have a serious conversation.....until then, all you are doing is making up extreme examples to try and support a fundamentally weak argument.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Quote:
Its sad that people think they are helpless to succeed without the government.

Take away all of those things and put us back in the stone ages and I'd have found a way to generate the extra income that I wanted. I used my brain to figure out something based on the available resources around me, and worked hard to make it happen.
Quote:
Please point out when/where I argued that the government didn't belong in the business of maintaining the rule of law and that the government shouldn't exist at all then we can have a serious conversation.....until then, all you are doing is making up extreme examples to try and support a fundamentally weak argument.
So, apparently, you believe that there was both government and rule of law in the Stone Ages?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times
I guess Liberals also can't Google anything?......

Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Heck my industry I am in, architecture, is much better than it was four years ago when firms were shedding jobs at an extremely high rate during the end of the Bush era and into the Obama era. Now it has stabled out, with no more mass layoffs, and firms are actually hiring again, depending on where you live.

So yes, things are better for me now than they were four years ago, now I actually have hope on finding work in my field and that it might actually lead to something good.
Yeah, of course it is better for you..... you are busy helping design extra houses for the Wall St crooks near you that Obama refused to go after

The rest of the country apparently disagrees with you regarding the question of if they are better now though......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections