Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,659,526 times

Advertisements

I'm undecided between Obama and a third party candidate, mainly because of my disdain for the Democratic party. Last time I was undecided until it became clear over the Republican convention that McCain was not in charge of his own campaign. In the last 20 years, the only time I was sure early on was in 2004, as I could sense the cliff the Bush administration was driving us off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,115,415 times
As important as Independents are, I dont know how you can look at the state of the country and the false hope and change, and even be still considering Obama. I can understand the liberals and the idiots voting for him, but that's about it.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,465,542 times
2010 midterms was the only straight ticket I ever voted in my life.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,152,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Is there really an independent electorate? I don't think I ever encountered anyone who was undecided 4 months prior to a national election.
I am registered independent and have never voted for a democrat or a republican in a presidential election in my life. I don't see either side as a 'good' choice, and am still unsure if I should vote for the lesser of two evils or continue voting 3rd party. All of that being said, I tend to take a more republican stance on this forum simply to balance opinions given how insanely liberal this forum leans.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
Registered Independent here and former and fervent Obama supporter in 2008. I am staying far, far away from Obama and Romney. Leaning toward Jill Stein at the moment.

Come on people, deep down you know that this is the perfect election to tell the bought-and-paid for Democrats and Republicans to shove it!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,404,881 times
Default Who Are The Independent Voters?

I voted Republican from Nixon to Bush the younger.

I've voted Democratic once.

On this forum, that makes me a far left liberal.

Any true independent here would be viewed by this forum's "republicans" as an outright Marxist.

Today's GOP views anyone not marching in lockstep with Limbaugh as a traitor. They pledge allegiance to partisanship, not America.

Which is why I voted against them and will continue to do so until they divorce themselves from the hateful mindless religious right. Regardless of the outcome in the current election, the GOP is on a course to self-destruction. I hold out hope that they may once again become a political party that will rationally address problem-solving instead of concentrating their efforts on personal hatred of anyone and everyone who disagrees with a single point in thier agenda.

America works best when we work together.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,918,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You've got one right here!! I'm actually leaning towards Roseanne Barr at this point, LOL.

In reality I am decided on one thing - that I'm not voting Republican - but as for who I will vote for, I'm still very much undecided. I identify mostly as Libertarian, with a hint of Green Party or Peace & Freedom... and given the fact that I live in California (where my vote doesn't really matter), I'm definitely thinking of going third-party on this election. Tough call, though.
I'm tempted to vote "libertarian, because I'm a civil libertarian but their economic policy is nuts and very harmful to the middle class.

I'm going to vote Green or far left if possible, or write in for Bernie Sanders.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I'm tempted to vote "libertarian, because I'm a civil libertarian but their economic policy is nuts and very harmful to the middle class.

I'm going to vote Green or far left if possible, or write in for Bernie Sanders.
.....A libertarian who thinks the libertarian economic policy is crazy is simply a party line democrat....

Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,918,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
.....A libertarian who thinks the libertarian economic policy is crazy is simply a party line democrat....
Party line Democrat? A party line Democrat votes for the "party line" no matter what.

Obama has been horrible on civil liberties, expansion of wars and government secrecy, increased corporate influence of government.

Therefore he's not getting my vote, and I"m not a party line Democrat.

Perhaps you just meant liberal? I'd agree most liberals are civil libertarians and not economic libertarians.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Party line Democrat? A party line Democrat votes for the "party line" no matter what.

Obama has been horrible on civil liberties, expansion of wars and government secrecy, increased corporate influence of government.

Therefore he's not getting my vote, and I"m not a party line Democrat.

Perhaps you just meant liberal? I'd agree most liberals are civil libertarians and not economic libertarians.
The definition of libertarian is civil liberal, economic conservative. I am just saying that you are nowhere near a libertarian if you don't agree with the economic side of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections