Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
That Paul Ryan is a congenital liar isn't in question. Whether he lied this time or not. He can't stop himself, When confronted with telling the truth or telling a lie, he defaults to telling a lie.
The very idea of a liberal being concerned with truth makes me laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Paul Ryan’s marathon lie - Salon.com

I became interested in this only because I'm an avid runner and also happened to catch the original interview by Hugh Hewitt where Ryan claimed to have run a sub-3 hour marathon.

It sounds to me like Ryan was never a serious competitive runner, and given that the race was over 20 years ago, I find it entirely understandable that he didn't remember. I can remember race times down to the second for PR's & recent races. But I used to play basketball a lot just for fun, though I was never very good. And I sure in hell can't tell you how many points I scored from a game over 20 years because I didn't take it that seriously.

Salon writer Joan Walsh also needs to learn that if you're going to get all pendantic, you'd better make sure you have a clue as to what your talking about. She writes

Sorry, running a sub-three hour marathon is not 'extraordinary.' In the 2012 Boston Marathon, for example 529 out of 15,000 male runners finished in under 3 hours. Sub-three hours is good, but not great. It's just under 7 minutes per mile, which is not really a punishing pace. If you do it at age 73, as Ed Whitlock did, it would be extraordinary. But not at age 20-something, as Ryan claimed to have done.

So sorry, there is no 'Ryan marathon lie.' This Salon writer is just an idiot (she admits she's not even a runner). Now how many of the other purported Ryan 'lies' are actually instances of lefties not knowing a pair of bun huggers from a pair of Hun buggers?
See, this is what I'm afraid of. If RYAN/romney get elected, we are going to be subjected to four years of record-scrubbing, by professional and amateur message massagers and revisionists, right out of "1984", every time one of them gets caught in a lie.

And it's started already

Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
the bold faced lies they continually spew even though they have been fact checked and proven wrong shows a pair who would say or do anything to win the presidency. Even when it comes to lying about something as inconsequential as a running time.
This.

The Romney/Ryan campaign has been defined by simply making things up from the get go. Big things, little things, completely inconsequential things that no one even cares about, it really doesn't matter.

It's frankly a bit disturbing how easily lying rolls off their tongues.

I'd have a lot more respect for them and their campaign if they would simply tell the truth, even if I disagreed with them.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,822 times
Composite girfriend.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The very idea of a liberal being concerned with truth makes me laugh.
Based on the fact that you're a conservative who supports Paul Ryan and you have no concern for the truth, I assume?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,298 times
Right, he just didn't remember.

[fawning right-wing interviewer]: I hear you used to climb mountains. Ever climb in the Himilayas?

[Ryan]: Sure. I climbed Everest. Soloed, without supplemental oxygen.

3 days later, Ryan admits his statement was not true. In reality, his brother climbed Everest. He ascended New Hampshire's Mount Washington. In a car, driving to the summit.

[fawning right-wing city=data poster]: About Ryan's purported "mountaineering lie", he was never a serious mountaineer. It isn't at all surprising that he forgot it wasn't Everest he climbed, and that he forgot his climb was really a drive. Perfectly normal. Now quit picking on Paul!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
"Now wiggle?" Seriously? LMAO.
And the wiggling begins...

Quote:
Nobody running a 3 hour marathon is going to be an Olympic or 'world championship' contender. Sub 3 hours is nice, but nothing special.
Top 4%, and that's the percentile including the very best runners.

Quote:
I find it telling that people are even persisting with the notion of "Ryan's marathon lie" after what I posted.
That's because he lied. You appear to not have read your link.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He is running for VP not running a marathon - who cares about his time?
Ryan, I suppose - after all, he brought it up. Even cared enough to make up a good time.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Ryan's chronic lies, er, "factual shortcuts"...

How The Media Soft-Plays Paul Ryan's Lies, Factual Shortcuts, Perceived Inaccuracies, and Questionable Claims

Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
I would me more concerned with the democrats have a rapist nominate barry obamamama for president last night.
So much for the party of women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections