Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Obama won't even pay cities for extra police duty so what makes anyone think he's going to cough up the bucks for the DNC bill ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:24 PM

289 posts, read 396,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
"we're" and "then".........not were and than. I point this out only because you mentioned something about "probably not that sharp."
Sorry language police.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:32 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
I'm not as concerned about the fundraising by the individual candidates as I am about the use of outside groups, like Karl Rove's American Crossroads, and American Crossroads GPS. The citizens united ruling by the supreme court allows those groups to raise unlimited amounts of money anonymously from corporate donors, and then funnel that money back to the candidates. With anonymity, there is no accountability. One company or individual could give hundreds of millions of dollars to a campaign and never have their name associated with it. This type of funding has the potential to completely change the face of elections in the US--they can be quietly bought and sold by the highest bidder, and the American public will never know. Big, often multinational corporations have the chance to seriously influence the results of our elections--candidates who support policies to limit the power of those groups are faced with being unable to even come close to matching the air and media time that kind of money can buy.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I don't think I'd be proud that corporate funding is pretty much buying Romney's campaign. Why wouldn't they fund it? Tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans while the rest of us foot the bill, attempts to eliminate the capital gains tax, the promise to cut as many regulations as possible in an evironment where financial regs have already been gutted and brought us the brink of a depression...the list goes on. Do you think companies give that kind of money out of idealism? They're profit driven, and they want a financial return on their campaign investment. That kind of power in the hands of a small group of people is dangerous.
Did you somehow miss that Duke Energy has extended a line of credit to Democrats for their convention? I'm a little baffled that you'd make this omission and rail against Romney when in fact it states in pretty clear language that Big Business (that you hate) are giving the Democrats a boost.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Did you somehow miss that Duke Energy has extended a line of credit to Democrats for their convention? I'm a little baffled that you'd make this omission and rail against Romney when in fact it states in pretty clear language that Big Business (that you hate) are giving the Democrats a boost.

Like I said--I'm not concerned about candidate fundraising because at least it's public--it's the secret, anonymous, hundreds of millions channeled in from outside groups that scare me, and that can buy and sell elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections