Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Obama, knowing full well the Romney argument is a powerful one that will resonate with many swing voters, will run what amounts to a half-dozen campaigns, equally negative, better organized but backed with less cash.
Somehow, I missed what Romney's argument is -- but I know what Bill Clinton said it was:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
This article might be of interest. When Romney become governor of Mass ten years ago, the situation he walked into had similarities to what Obama inherited when he took office as POTUS. Ansd bascially they both did very much the same things with similar results. Except that when Mitt got bored with it he started bashing his own state in the interest of his presidential campaign.

Quote:
“His economic record was uninspired,” Widmer said. “They never developed an economic strategy nor implemented a coherent set of initiatives that would improve the state’s business climate.”

Others chafed at Romney’s frequent out of state trips as he tested the waters for his first presidential run. Despite his pledge to be the state’s top salesman, he tried to woo Republican Party conservatives by publicly bashing the state’s liberal politics and emphasizing its generous unemployment insurance benefits -- raising a red flag to firms interested in relocating here.

“I was very shocked to hear our governor on the road basically saying Massachusetts is a terrible place to do business,” said David Begelfer, chief executive of the Massachusetts chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, a commercial real estate trade group.
As governor, Romney faced similar economic situation as Obama -- with similar results - Business Updates - Breaking news in local business

Take a look at the artilce - the tax burden on the middle class increased thanks to the little rich kid.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:41 AM

272 posts, read 229,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
This article might be of interest. When Romney become governor of Mass ten years ago, the situation he walked into had similarities to what Obama inherited when he took office as POTUS.
I will do you one better, here is a video of Romney basically making the case for Obama's reelection:

Some quotes from the video:

Quote:
I came into office and the jobs had been falling off a cliff, when I came in they had been falling for 11 months, and then we turned around and we're coming back. That's progress.
Quote:
If you're going to suggest to somehow the day I got elected that somehow jobs should immediately turn around, well, that would be silly.

Romney Press Conference On Economic Stimulus Vetoes (6/24/06) - YouTube

Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Get those sour grapes ready, Pubs. Romney, Ryan, and the Republicans, decimated over the last week, are beginning to wet their pants. The free-fall is already underway.

President Obama is headed for a second term....and don't you forget it either.

State of the race: Advantage, Obama - Jim VandeHei and Mike Allen - POLITICO.com
Lex-

I have noticed that the threads by you and MTA have become more and more desperate as the election nears. The election is already over- Obama loses due to his poor economic performance. Despite efforts by the libs to "change the subject", 78% of voters polled state that the economy is the most important issue for them. With regard to handling the economy, Romney leads Obama by nearly 20%. No one is going to go to the polls and vote against the issue most important to them.

Game over

PS- I hope they give you and MTA a pay raise, as you are really trying hard and putting forth a good effort. Too bad you don't have better material to work with. Perhaps in 2016 it might be easier.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Obama, knowing full well the Romney argument is a powerful one that will resonate with many swing voters, will run what amounts to a half-dozen campaigns, equally negative, better organized but backed with less cash.
Powerful? Today on Meet the Press Romney said, to paraphrase, that he has no specific plans but his principles will guide him and we should trust that. Is he serious? That's his argument? Romney needs to do better than say "Trust me".

Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I did not hear the speech, but I read the transcript. I found it very moving and powerful. Sometimes cheerleading is the best approach (Clinton, M. Obama), sometimes a feisty argument for the base (Biden), and sometimes a direct, honest, and heartfelt speech is the ticket. All built upon each other at the DNC, and it was very effective. Americans saw the GOP and Dems over the last two weeks, and it is clear which party has the most inspiring and genuine vision for America.
You call Biden 'feisty'? lol

How about drooling and on the verge of a major stroke?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I have never seen an election cycle where one side is so desparately trying to convince itself it has the election sewn up. It's a truly bizarre thing to watch.
No one has this thing sewn up and as much as I would love to celebrate and think Obama has this in the bag, it's simply not true for neither candidate. It's going to be close up until the very end. Just being realistic. I'm hopeful but definitely not celebrating YET!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Like i said in another thread. Obama is saving his shellacking of willard, romney will be more than pissing his pants come debate time.
Oh goodie, more accusations of murder from the Obama team to come.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obama loses due to his poor economic performance.
But, but 32 million people out of work is a good thing and don't let the republicans tell you different. GM stock around 20 bucks is also a good thing. Just don't let the repubs tell you different. It is a good thing to buy at $52 and get 20 back. Yep, a good thing.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Its been advantage Obama since day one. It always with with an incumbent even in pretty crappy times.

At this point, the Obama campaign needs Bill Clinton to make a few stops in swing states...give some pretty speeches, and they're golden. Romney isnt an awful debater, but he will certainly lose to Obama. He comes across as kind of mechanical, and I dont think his likeability is going to gain ground during debates when people see him in action.

Honestly the GOPs best bet at this point would be to reallocate sources towards the Senate and let the Presidential election play itself out, because Romney probably isnt going to win it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections