Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Do you believe Romney can win Ohio at this stage? I'm hard pressed to see a path for him now for that state. Romney would have to win every "toss up" state off the RCP map to win now if you think Ohio is a losing battle, and that would be one heck of a coup if he can do it.
I agree not winning Ohio would end it for a Romney victory. But. I think Ohio is still winnable for Romney.

There is a good percentage of people in that state that could change their vote. If Romney chips away at Obama's lead in the suburbs, wins big on the SW part of the state (which is a strong GOP area) and also gets lots of turnout in S and SE Ohio, he can overcome Obama's wins in the major urban areas. No, it's not easy, but it can happen.

The good thing for Romney also is that he remains competitive in Nevada, Iowa, and even Colorado. Those would be needed states, especially if Virginia goes for Obama again.

There is still a month to go in this election. Lots can happen on either side.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
I think it's possible for Romney to win but it will not be even close to easy. Still, we have 3 debates, a jobs report and a pretty volatile world stage between now and then. Obama is leading but not by enough that he can't get got. There is a slim chance. If it were 2 weeks from the election I'd say he was done, but you never know.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
The PJ Tatler » WE ARE THE 91%: Only 9% of Americans Cooperate with Pollsters

Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,298 times
Onoz! President Obama now leads by 3 points in the only poll some people (some monmumentally gullible people, I should say) believe isn't in on some massive conspiracy to utterly destroy their own business models by falsely showing Obama in the lead!

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Quote:
The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows President Obama attracting support from 50% of voters nationwide, while Mitt Romney earns the vote from 47%. Two percent (2%) prefer some other candidate, and two percent (2%) are undecided.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I think it's possible for Romney to win but it will not be even close to easy. Still, we have 3 debates, a jobs report and a pretty volatile world stage between now and then. Obama is leading but not by enough that he can't get got. There is a slim chance. If it were 2 weeks from the election I'd say he was done, but you never know.
I think that's a lot of wishful thinking.

In 2004, in the first debate, Bush looked like at total moron and it didn't effect the polls. In debates, voters see what they want to see.

As of now, Romney must win not only Ohio but also Florida, both which he is trailing -- as is most of the other swing states. Obama only needs CO, NM, and FL to get 275 or CO, NM, WI and OH for 274. If Obama wins only FL and OH among the swing states, he is at 279. By the numbers, Romney has an uphill battle.

As Paul Krugman said today, instead of Romney letting the election be a referendum on Obama's last four years, the right-wing couldn't help expanding this election to a referendum on the social safety net itself, which pre-dates Obama by many decades:

Quote:
Yet there is a sense in which the election is indeed a referendum, but of a different kind. Voters are, in effect, being asked to deliver a verdict on the legacy of the New Deal and the Great Society, on Social Security, Medicare and, yes, Obamacare, which represents an extension of that legacy. Will they vote for politicians who want to replace Medicare with Vouchercare, who denounce Social Security as “collectivist” (as Paul Ryan once did), who dismiss those who turn to social insurance programs as people unwilling to take responsibility for their lives?

If the polls are any indication, the result of that referendum will be a clear reassertion of support for the safety net, and a clear rejection of politicians who want to return us to the Gilded Age.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Onoz! President Obama now leads by 3 points in the only poll some people (some monmumentally gullible people, I should say) believe isn't in on some massive conspiracy to utterly destroy their own business models by falsely showing Obama in the lead!

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™
50%! Did you say 50%? You can put it in the deep freeze when Obama gets to 50% (on Rasmussen no less).

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM

There is an interesting article in the Times about the so-called bias:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/01/bu...l?ref=politics

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Do you believe Romney can win Ohio at this stage? I'm hard pressed to see a path for him now for that state. Romney would have to win every "toss up" state off the RCP map to win now if you think Ohio is a losing battle, and that would be one heck of a coup if he can do it.
I think he still has a good shot at Ohio. If he was losing Ohio Independents by a significant margin I'd say he's toast there. However when you drill down on the polls that are unfavorable to him. You notice the margin consists of almost entirely the difference between folks who identify as Dems vs folks who identify as Repubs. He's running even or ahead among Independents.

Also we know factually registration is down in Ohio from '08 and most of that among Dems and in Dem leaning population centers. I suspect when Obama won Iowa there was an increase in folks who identified as Dem to participate in the primary. Also the foreclosure crisis was particularly acute in Cleveland. Who knows where these folks are at the moment are they still in Ohio?

Finally the demographics of Ohio. It's 83% White and considerably more working class. We know Obama has had a problem nationally with this group. I find it hard to believe things are that drastically different among this group in Ohio. While Romney probably doesn't necessarily endear himself to this group he can still win a good portion of them over.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 AM

684 posts, read 825,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Let's see... even using the bogus numbers you present, 80% of 25%(Repub identifiers) = 20 and 75% of 38%(Dem identifiers) = 28.5 ???? which is bigger?
I'm assuming your smarmy response was directed at me, given that you quoted me. The numbers were from the politico website quoted earlier in this statement.

Your suggestion that you don't know if 20 is larger than 38 aside, I'm going to point out that both those numbers are irrelevant:

If 75% of (say) the 47% of people saying they'll vote for Obama turn out, that works out to be 35.25
If 80% of(say) the 45% of people saying they'll vote for Romney turn out, that works out to be 36%.

If the 75% of people self-identifying that they are extremely likely to turnout and vote for Obama is correct, as per the previous post given, and the 80% of those self-identifying that they are extremely likely to turnout and vote for Romney, that means Romney squeaks out a win.

Older people tend to vote Republican and tend to turn out in larger numbers. Younger people tend to vote for Democrats and tend to be less inclined to vote. That's a simple fact of American politics currently and something the President needs to recognize in his campaigning.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM

From 538:
Quote:
If you look at our estimate of Mitt Romney’s chances of winning the Electoral College, which are about 15 percent right now in the FiveThirtyEight forecast, the touchdown analogy works best: Mr. Romney has about as much chance of winning as an N.F.L. team does when it trails by a touchdown early in the fourth quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections