Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It takes 3-4 days minimum to see bumps from most polls

Results are

based on five-day rolling averages with approximately 2,200 registered voters each
How would the debate affect his approval rating of how he is handling the country? He did lose the debate but these are completely unrelated...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Obama's approval rating has soared to its highest point in three years. He has a 54% approval rating which put him well above the safe 50% threshold for an incumbent re-election. Despite Romney's decent performance at last night's debate, it will do very little to change this trend.

George W. Bush's approval rating at this point in 2004 was only at 50 percent and Bush got re-elected.

Obama's Approval Rating In Gallup At 54 Percent - Business Insider

The rights high fiving continues as mittens goes down in flames.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
I'll say this--I don't think Obama's performance did anything last night to bring down his approval ratings, which may have been the strategy all along by his campaign. People think the President is a nice guy--taking on Romney directly and being super aggressive has hurt him in the past, so it looks like they avoided that strategy. If Romney DOES get a bump, they may have to rethink that, but I didn't see anything happen that was a major game changer last night. Romney made his base happy because for the first time all year he wasn't a bumbling fool. He did well, and because he exceeded expectations, it was a win for him, but that may not translate to a win in the polls.

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
How would the debate affect his approval rating of how he is handling the country? He did lose the debate but these are completely unrelated...
Note the OP's statements

He has a 54% approval rating which put him well above the safe 50% threshold for an incumbent re-election

If debates have no impact on elections, then why have them?

If ones opinion of Obama doesnt affect their willingness to vote for him, then why have polls? Why not just declare presidents 2 termers by default?

177 posts, read 197,790 times
Quote:
Winning a debate and winning the presidency are two entirely different things. Ask John Kerry about that.
Or Dukakis, the last Massachusetts governor to run for the white house. Romney is a carbon copy of him.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Oh so you are not saying romney will get votes from the debate and that he will still lose? Which is it?
I'm saying the facts, that results from polls dont get impacted for several days after activities like debates. Is it really that difficult for Democrats to understand truth?

I cant speak for millions of americans, so I dont know how much the debate affected peoples decision on who to vote for, and todays polls dont indicate that either. Why do you pretend things are true that arent, and somehow project your feeling on everyone else, as if everyone thinks like you do?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Obama's approval rating has soared to its highest point in three years. He has a 54% approval rating which put him well above the safe 50% threshold for an incumbent re-election. Despite Romney's decent performance at last night's debate, it will do very little to change this trend.

George W. Bush's approval rating at this point in 2004 was only at 50 percent and Bush got re-elected.

Obama's Approval Rating In Gallup At 54 Percent - Business Insider
A bit early to look at polls yet. The debate has not been included and Romney will likely get a short term bump, for being the aggressor. But, the fundamental difference between Obama and Romney remains the same and the majority of Americans see it and Romney for what he really is.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm saying the facts, that results from polls dont get impacted for several days after activities like debates. Is it really that difficult for Democrats to understand truth?

I cant speak for millions of americans, so I dont know how much the debate affected peoples decision on who to vote for, and todays polls dont indicate that either. Why do you pretend things are true that arent, and somehow project your feeling on everyone else, as if everyone thinks like you do?
You are one to talk. I guess this thread of more great Obama news got you angry after coming down from last nights little victory lap huh?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
This should shut up the Media knuckleheads out there who are shilling fro Romney claiming he "won" the debate.
Pre debate polling. We'll start seeing some impact of the debate tomorrow in the Rasmussen tracking poll. It'll take a few days for the impact in Gallup.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
So far polling seems to indicate the biggest impact of the debates is that Romney is starting to pull in more fence-sitting Republicans.

Romney gains ground on Obama after strong debate | Reuters

Obama's favorability ratings remained unchanged, as 56 percent said they viewed him favorably and 44 percent said they viewed him unfavorably. His standing improved among independents by 8 percentage points.

Romney appears to have made his greatest strides among his fellow Republicans - a development that could help his fundraising and get-out-the vote efforts in the final weeks of the campaign.

Forty-six percent of Republicans said their opinion of Romney was "very favorable" after the debate, a gain of 10 percentage points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections