Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 02:18 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,394 times

Advertisements

NBC News poll: Obama leads Romney in Iowa by 8% - KTIV News 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Quote:
President Obama leads Mitt Romney in Colorado, Iowa and Wisconsin, reaching 50% support in all three battlegrounds, according to the latest NBC News-Wall Street Journal-Marist polls.

In Iowa, the president's edge over Romney is 8 points, 50% to 42%.

In both Colorado and Wisconsin, Obama is ahead by 5 points among likely voters.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Arizona Poll (Purple Insights, released today)

Romney: 48
Obama: 45

MOE: 4%

Oh my....
Interesting. But I'm skeptical.

That said, Arizona is probably the most like McCain2008 state to flip to Obama this time around. Not likely, overall... just more likely than any other state McCain won.

But even a reasonably close race might provide some coattails that help former Surgeon General Richard Carmona in his Arizona Senate race against Jeff Flake.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:21 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,171 times
Hey Trace shouldnt this poll thread be merged with the sticky poll thread that you were so in favor of ? I'm sure this is just an over sight on your part, Would yould like me to notify a mod to merge this thread or do want to

Old 09-21-2012, 02:22 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yeah, and when Letterman asked Obama what the deficit was when he first got in office, Obama said he "didn't remember." Right. He didn't want to say that it was 6 trillion less than it is now.
You do realize that the 2009 budget was George Bush's budget correct??

Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true
Appreciate the intent but sorry, this is not true under Obama. Many people wish for a job and they find themselves on unemployment or welfare with no end in sight.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yeah, and when Letterman asked Obama what the deficit was when he first got in office, Obama said he "didn't remember." Right. He didn't want to say that it was 6 trillion less than it is now.
He doesn't think over 16 trillion is a problem either, not short term anyway. He looked a little irritated that the question was asked. It's un-American!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
It is worth noting that since neither party has any shot at getting 60 seats, both parties will retain enough Senate seats to filibuster endlessly, should they so choose.
Possibly, though it is possible that when adopting rules for the new session the filibuster could go. Personally I would not mind seeing that since the filibuster is no where in the Constitution and has been terribly abused the last decade or so.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:34 PM

I am not sure I put much stock in the polls but I do know that it is very hard to beat an incumbent president.

The 50% approval mark is significant because post-World War II incumbent presidents who have been above 50% job approval on Election Day were easily re-elected. Presidents with approval ratings below 50% have more uncertain re-election prospects. Historically, two presidents below 50% in their final approval rating before the election -- George W. Bush and Harry Truman -- won, and three, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and George H.W. Bush, lost.

That should concern Obama, in part because George W. Bush never dropped this low this late in the race.

Read more: Obama Approval Rating Tanking - Business Insider

Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Possibly, though it is possible that when adopting rules for the new session the filibuster could go. Personally I would not mind seeing that since the filibuster is no where in the Constitution and has been terribly abused the last decade or so.
I wouldn't mind seeing either party (ie, whichever party controls the Senate at a given time) lose the filibuster, or at least alter it so that allows for debate but provides an ultimate mechanism to bring things to a vote.

One proposal I like is to keep the cloture threshold at 60 votes, initially -- but have that threshold drop by one each day, so after 10 days it is simply a majority vote (with or without the Vice President). That would preserve allowing for extended debate, for all the posturing and preening that Senators love, yet still allow bills to ultimately come to a vote.

But I doubt it'll happen.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,427 times
And he's winning ahead in all other polls!! What does that say about Romney?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections