Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 PM

1,403 posts, read 935,413 times

Advertisements

They know whoever wins is just gonna send them to war so why bother voting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 PM

20,113 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Maybe the problem is Romney- the servicemen and women can't get excited about voting for someone who never served, whose five sons never served, and who appears to be big-mouthing the US onto the fast track to a war with Iran.

Seems like a more likely explanation than your conspiracy theory.
When exactly did Mr. Obama serve? Friends overseas have said it is taking a long time to get their ballots.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,862,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
When exactly did Mr. Obama serve? Friends overseas have said it is taking a long time to get their ballots.

My daughter had the same problem in the last election. It's unbelievable that the military votes are so inconsequential. They lose so much freedom when they sign up, then their votes aren't even counted.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:42 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,379,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
My daughter had the same problem in the last election. It's unbelievable that the military votes are so inconsequential. They lose so much freedom when they sign up, then their votes aren't even counted.
Obama signed the MOVE Act into law in 2009. Obviously, for the sake of democracy, the more people who can exercise their right to vote, the better, regardless of who they are likely to vote for (at least the Dems think so).

I know the issue-challenged RW is grasping at straws, like trying to make this into a conspiracy. But it looks to me like just a case of the military buracracy being slow to get it's act together. Big surprise.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Obama's lack of service record wouldn't necessarily be a plus for him with the military either. But Obama's already got the C in C job-it's Mitt who is auditioning. And I'm just saying, his and his entire family's complete lack of service history? Not exactly a motivator for the troops, I bet.

Mitt's unattractiveness as a candidate MAY be a factor is the reduced demand for absentee ballots among the ranks this cycle. They may not say so aloud, but I bet a lot of the troops and officers LIKE having a guy with a BRAIN in command, for a change, even if he is a Democrat

Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,367,459 times
Quote:
Mitt's unattractiveness as a candidate MAY be a factor is the reduced demand for absentee ballots among the ranks this cycle.
This is what I think. And, yeah, a guy with FIVE sons, none of whom have been in the service, that's pretty sick. At his level, there would be no problem with admission to West Point or Annapolis and the like. The troops are sitting this one out, it appears.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Obama's lack of service record wouldn't necessarily be a plus for him with the military either. But Obama's already got the C in C job-it's Mitt who is auditioning. And I'm just saying, his and his entire family's complete lack of service history? Not exactly a motivator for the troops, I bet.

Mitt's unattractiveness as a candidate MAY be a factor is the reduced demand for absentee ballots among the ranks this cycle. They may not say so aloud, but I bet a lot of the troops and officers LIKE having a guy with a BRAIN in command, for a change, even if he is a Democrat
What they aren't saying out loud, because they are not allowed to, is if they dislike Obama. They are not permitted to speak against a sitting president but can bash a challenging candidate all they want, he's not their current Commander-in-Chief, just a potential one. They are allowed to talk favorably about a sitting Commander-in-Chief all they want. They, however, have to be careful because they are not allowed to talk politics around their subordinates as that might be construed as trying to unfairly influence them who to vote for. Among my husbands peers we are not hearing a lot of "I love Obama" talking this time around. Not hearing from the wives either. Military people, of all races and genders, have a tendency to be conservatives. What helped Obama last time with the military, as much as I hate to admit it, was his race.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:23 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Maybe higher. But could the drop off be partly due to the fact that we have far fewer military troops serving overseas now than in 2008, thus the need for fewer absentee ballots?
I wonder if they're counting PMC workers in the totals, given there's tens of thousands of mercs still in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Quote:
Yeah, we DO know Obama's character Barack Obama rockets to large lead in national polls - Arlington Conservative | Examiner.com

The OP's link says military absentee ballot REQUESTS are down, not the ballots themselves.

It's not like anyone is conspiring to suppress the military vote- voter suppression is the GOP's game, not the Dems.

Maybe the problem is Romney- the servicemen and women can't get excited about voting for someone who never served, whose five sons never served, and who appears to be big-mouthing the US onto the fast track to a war with Iran.

Seems like a more likely explanation than your conspiracy theory.
Now now, it could be an order from Obama to the brass to slow walk handing out the ballots. I mean, let's not let a good conspiracy theory wither on the vine before it's had a chance to ripen into something truly lulzy.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
What helped Obama last time with the military, as much as I hate to admit it, was his race.
Why do you "hate to admit it"? We can talk about racial issues, without being racist. I think the role of race in Obama's election and presidency is a fascinating topic.

What makes you think Obama's race helped him with the military? You mean, because there are a lot of people of color in the enlisted core, and you assume they voted for Obama? (I don't know if there are- I'm just trying to understand your post)

Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Why do you "hate to admit it"? We can talk about racial issues, without being racist. I think the role of race in Obama's election and presidency is a fascinating topic.

What makes you think Obama's race helped him with the military? You mean, because there are a lot of people of color in the enlisted core, and you assume they voted for Obama? (I don't know if there are- I'm just trying to understand your post)
My husband (military) and I (military spouse) were among the people to do it and knew friends who voted for a liberal for the very first time for the same reason. We so desperately wanted that race barrier broke, we wanted it proved that a black man was good enough to hold the highest office in the land. One that people weren't forced to choose, as in affirmative action, but that was freely chosen. He has not lived up to his promise of "Hope and Change" and worse he has proven to be a ineffective president. We should have held out for someone with our same vision instead just worrying about our same race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections