Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You must have been watching something other than what I was watching.

What I saw over the weekend was Paul Ryan evading direct questions. He was asked how he can criticize Obama on defense when Ryan himself voted for what he was complaining about. His answer sounded silly.

Today's NY Times Editorial sums it up:

It's funny that you ask "Where are Obama's details?" when both Romney and Ryan have not released any details of their plans -- even when pressed by reporters they won't indicate a single deduction that they would eliminate.

What you have called "details" are not details but platitudes. Stating "entitlement will be reformed" is not a detail.
The newswoman O'Donnell clearly lied when she said Ryan voted for $1T in defense spending cuts. First, about half of those cuts were in Obama's budget that neither Ryan nor anyone else voted for! Second, voting for the debt ceiling increase was not voting for the defense cuts. The idea was that such draconian cuts would be so painful that they would force both sides to come to a longer term agreement to avoid these cuts. Congress did their part by passing spending cuts but Obama and the senate did nothing. They are cowards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Being that you're from Wisconsin, you probably understand it better than most of us.
Yes, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
No real excuse just the truth . Too many people who pay no federal taxes and get government handouts to vote against their own interest . That base is to big to overcome. The problem is with obamas reelection that base will grow and make it a bigger class warfare nation
No, the problem is with the GOP, the rwnj's that control that party, their Wall Street financiers causing overnight unemployment for millions so now those same unemployed middle-class people are forced to rely on food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing since they lost their houses as well as their jobs, their offshoring of good paying jobs so that the new low-paying jobs, if they can find them, force these same people to continue on public assistance.

The GOP is hoist on its own petard of greed. If our corporate masters would do the right thing for the American people, reduce avaricious CEO compensation, keep jobs here and pay decent wages, the GOP would be winning - even with the loonies in that party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Actually I am better off today than I was 4 years ago. I know others that are too.
Me, too.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Keep in mind the debate moderators choose the questions. All they have to do is avoid asking the ones that put Obama on the spot.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Yes, indeed.

No, the problem is with the GOP, the rwnj's that control that party, their Wall Street financiers causing overnight unemployment for millions so now those same unemployed middle-class people are forced to rely on food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing since they lost their houses as well as their jobs, their offshoring of good paying jobs so that the new low-paying jobs, if they can find them, force these same people to continue on public assistance.

The GOP is hoist on its own petard of greed. If our corporate masters would do the right thing for the American people, reduce avaricious CEO compensation, keep jobs here and pay decent wages, the GOP would be winning - even with the loonies in that party.

Me, too.
It was government regulations forcing banks to make bad loans that caused the housing meltdown. The banks only found a way to not lose money because of it. And there were plenty of SEC regulations in place to stop the credit agencies from rating these high risk bundled loans A rate. The government bureacracy fell down on the job as usual.
You may be doing better but the 23 million unemployed and underemployed are not. The 106 million on some government handouts are not. The country with the weakest recovery in history is not. Don't worry the GOP is winning despite what the polls say, just like in 2010.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The newswoman O'Donnell clearly lied when she said Ryan voted for $1T in defense spending cuts. First, about half of those cuts were in Obama's budget that neither Ryan nor anyone else voted for! Second, voting for the debt ceiling increase was not voting for the defense cuts. The idea was that such draconian cuts would be so painful that they would force both sides to come to a longer term agreement to avoid these cuts. Congress did their part by passing spending cuts but Obama and the senate did nothing. They are cowards.
Ryan didn't say he didn't vote for it. His words gave excuses for why he did.
Congress "agreeing on nearly $1 trillion in federal spending cuts over 10 years with the promise to impose another $1.2 trillion to reduce budget deficits. The deal was coupled with an increase in the Treasury Department's borrowing authority, as it had bumped up against a legal limit.

As head of the House of Representatives Budget Committee, Ryan backed last year's deal.
"

SOURCE: Romney blasts debt-ceiling deal that Ryan backed - Chicago Tribune

Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
It was government regulations forcing banks to make bad loans that caused the housing meltdown. The banks only found a way to not lose money because of it. And there were plenty of SEC regulations in place to stop the credit agencies from rating these high risk bundled loans A rate. The government bureacracy fell down on the job as usual.
You may be doing better but the 23 million unemployed and underemployed are not. The 106 million on some government handouts are not. The country with the weakest recovery in history is not. Don't worry the GOP is winning despite what the polls say, just like in 2010.
This was a zombie lie going around and has been debunked. Most of the loses were to financial institutions that were not regulated as banks.

The government didn't force banks and mortgage companies to place ads in newspapers and TV saying: "no job, no credit, no problem." The gov't didn't force brokers to create no income verification loans. Those companies did it because they were making lots of money doing it. Why? Because they took no risk because they sold those loans at a profit the minute the ink was dry.

If anyone thinks that the government could force banks, with big lobbying budgets, to do something that they don't want to do without fuss from the banks, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I know that the right-wing narrative is that the whole problem was that Democrats wanted black people to own homes but that was not the cause of this problem.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
It was government regulations forcing banks to make bad loans that caused the housing meltdown. The banks only found a way to not lose money because of it.
FAIL - these guys are a bunch of greedy crooks and should be in jail and all their personal assets confiscated.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandfatherClock View Post
Obama is goin to look foolish when he debates Romney. There is nothing Obama can talk about. Obama will not be able to answer the central question of the campaign: "Are you better off today than you were four years ago?"

President Obama does not know the issues as well as Romney.

Romney leads in all polls after the debates.
Yeah sure..

Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Your post is EXACLY what I mean. Obama supporters have been so demonized by the far right that you are convinced that the only people who vote for Obama are poor people on welfare. My husband and I are solid middle-class, pay a lot in federal taxes and have never received a government handout (my husband wouldn't even collect unemployment when he was laid off in 2009) and we will both be voting for Obama. Most of the Obama supporters I know are similar. Unless Romney figures that out, he's surely going to lose.
I said there is a base of people who will vote for him tharare depended on government hand outs I did not say that would be all that vote for him.
I know many who think we can contiue to spend as we are doing right now who will vote for obama

Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
FAIL - these guys are a bunch of greedy crooks and should be in jail and all their personal assets confiscated.
Yes like Barney frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections