Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I know this will come as a shock to you...but...I'm gainfully employed and I've never been on government assistance at any point in my life. *gasp* My parents are employed - never any government assistance and they're voting for Obama. My friends and other family members...same story. Do you think the only people who support Obama are people on welfare?
First I did not say welfare I said received government assistance . Second I said there is a strong base of people who are on assistance that will vote Obama. I did not discuss u or other bases he has I simply pointed the truth that their is a base of people on government assistance that will vote Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Wow. You sound like a little kid in a car.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Most folks realized this would be a 100 mile trip. Why are you so tired after the first 30? It will take at least 2 more full terms to return to normalcy. And that's after Obama's re-elected.
You think 5 trillion in debt in 4 years has made progress?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
National debt is not like personal debt at all. The government has to keep running while it's debts are being paid for, even if that means going deeper in the hole for a while.

What is important is the sustainability of the national debt load, not the dollar amount of the load. If our national debt is paid off to quickly, the result would be that our citizens simply could not do it without becoming impoverished, rich and poor alike, for many decades.

The national debts are always paid off over a very long period. Every developed nation on earth is in debt presently. Nations are not like individual people; if a nation's debts become so large they can never be repaid, the nation simply refuses to pay their debt, and there is very little the other nations can do to collect what they are owed.

This has happened quite often in the past, especially after a war. As often as not the victor in a war goes broke in the winning, and becomes a debtor nation for decades to centuries afterward. And during all that long time frame, the government still has it's obligations and internal national debts which have to be paid.

Most often, when a nation is that deeply into debt, much of the money that was borrowed is simply written off and the rest is paid as the nation is able to pay the remainder. This typically cripples the borrower country for a very long time; Haiti needed 200 years to but itself free from the French. The time period would have been much shorter if the French had not crippled the Haitian economy before it allowed Haitian independence.
The Fench are still paying off it's own debts from World War I. The defeated German debts were written off shortly before the beginning of World War II, but not before Germany was teetering on widespread starvation.

So- just how quickly do YOU want to wipe out our debt?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:02 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Tax cuts and wars cost a lot.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,298 times
Quote:
Massive debt is what happens when the economy craters -- revenues severely contract, while expenditures necessarily explode.

It's too bad -- but the solution is to not drive the economy into the ditch in the first place. And Romney's plans are simply to double-down on the policies of the inept adminsitration who drove the economy off the cliff, then tossed the keys to Obama in January of 2009.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM

44 posts, read 34,158 times
I wonder if most people here just don't have enough good sense to know what is good for them. Or they just have not lived long enough to understand life. Anyone who votes for Obama should not be allowed to vote. Years ago people were more mature at a younger age. Now adays most people don't grow up until well over 40. Some cases over 50. I ran a business from the early 60s to the mid 1990s. I raised 4 kids. Ages 41, 37, 33 and 30. I put my kids through college. It's clear as day most pro Obama comments are from kids. The pro Obama comments are ridiculous. Kids: years from now you will look back at the way you think now and feel like a complete fool. Lets vote Obama out.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
National debt is not like personal debt at all. The government has to keep running while it's debts are being paid for, even if that means going deeper in the hole for a while.

What is important is the sustainability of the national debt load, not the dollar amount of the load. If our national debt is paid off to quickly, the result would be that our citizens simply could not do it without becoming impoverished, rich and poor alike, for many decades.

The national debts are always paid off over a very long period. Every developed nation on earth is in debt presently. Nations are not like individual people; if a nation's debts become so large they can never be repaid, the nation simply refuses to pay their debt, and there is very little the other nations can do to collect what they are owed.

This has happened quite often in the past, especially after a war. As often as not the victor in a war goes broke in the winning, and becomes a debtor nation for decades to centuries afterward. And during all that long time frame, the government still has it's obligations and internal national debts which have to be paid.

Most often, when a nation is that deeply into debt, much of the money that was borrowed is simply written off and the rest is paid as the nation is able to pay the remainder. This typically cripples the borrower country for a very long time; Haiti needed 200 years to but itself free from the French. The time period would have been much shorter if the French had not crippled the Haitian economy before it allowed Haitian independence.
The Fench are still paying off it's own debts from World War I. The defeated German debts were written off shortly before the beginning of World War II, but not before Germany was teetering on widespread starvation.

So- just how quickly do YOU want to wipe out our debt?
So we need to be defeated like the germans in order to have our debt forgiven.. i see
national debt has worked out well for greece.
So how much debt do we need to have to be worried about debt?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Massive debt is what happens when the economy craters -- revenues severely contract, while expenditures necessarily explode.

It's too bad -- but the solution is to not drive the economy into the ditch in the first place. And Romney's plans are simply to double-down on the policies of the inept adminsitration who drove the economy off the cliff, then tossed the keys to Obama in January of 2009.
So you think the idea of cutting spending will not help . we never have cut spending so how is that doubling down. when is the policies of Obama become Obamas responsibility for the economy

Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Tax cuts and wars cost a lot.
Obama care and Solyndra like investements cost alot

Old 09-14-2012, 12:48 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandfatherClock View Post
I wonder if most people here just don't have enough good sense to know what is good for them. Or they just have not lived long enough to understand life. Anyone who votes for Obama should not be allowed to vote. Years ago people were more mature at a younger age. Now adays most people don't grow up until well over 40. Some cases over 50. I ran a business from the early 60s to the mid 1990s. I raised 4 kids. Ages 41, 37, 33 and 30. I put my kids through college. It's clear as day most pro Obama comments are from kids. The pro Obama comments are ridiculous. Kids: years from now you will look back at the way you think now and feel like a complete fool. Lets vote Obama out.

Seriously?

Advocating tyranny now.

Sorry, I simply cannot take this as useful advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections