Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times

Advertisements

Personally, I am so happy Republicans made this misstep.

Jon Huntsman is a "severe conservative" in friendly packaging, much like Bob "transvaginal ultrasound" McDonnell of Virginia, and the chief justice of the Supreme Court, John Roberts. These are friendly, pleasant, smiling guys who manage to get through the day without saying freaky things but who espouse wackadoo conservative ideas and would shove them down our throats if they had power. Mitt Romney is the opposite, and in my opinion, better (if only he stopped flopping and flipping!!): a moderate in un-friendly, unpleasant packaging. But I don't think Romney has the spine to stay moderate if elected- he'd pander to the rwnjs who got him elected in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Huntsman is wealthier than Romney give me a break. He's pretty much a fiscally conservative liberal he'd be better off as a blue dog Democrat but they've been purged from the Dem party.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Huntsman is a moderate which would have appelealed to way more people than Romney has. Huntsman has Foreign Policy experience as opposed to Romney/Ryan's none. If Huntsman is not radically right wing it would not have mattered to the extremists when all was said and done because they would vote against Obama anyway. Huntsman certainly seems to be more likable than Romney and might even had released more than two years of tax returns. What was the GOP and their base thinking????
ZzzzZzzzzZzzzz wake me when its over.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Huntsman would have actually won. Of course, he wasn't a total wing nut (which is why he would have won) and that, sadly, means he couldn't have won the primaries dominated by raving loons. This is why the Republican Party is going to have a harder and harder time winning national office. They don't even recognize how their constant racial attacks are turning off everyone who isn't part of the raving loon base. By 2016 even Texas is going to be in play and the only ones to blame are the loons running the Republican Party.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Count your blessings, you could have ended up with the Santorum Inquisition or Newt "The Lecherous Loudmouth" Gingrich.

Mitt Romney is actually extremely moderate compared to the other options that were out there. Huntsman was just a lot more moderate than Mitt, that's all.
Romney has gone way far right...not because he believes in it...because after all, no one is quite sure what he believes in. In the past, he claimed to be moderate and nowadays in pandering to the far right, he claims to be one of them. Huntsman just appeared to have more integrity than Romney.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
ZzzzZzzzzZzzzz wake me when its over.
A typical remark frm a stereotypical extreme right winger. Don't tell me...you supported Bachmann.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So when the election is over, there is going to be a purge of the few remaining moderates, including Huntsman, from the party as the extremists take complete control.
I agree, this is a distinct possibility in the short term. Which would mean the 2016 nominating process will look like Place de la Concorde after a particularly busy day; blood flowing like wine in the gutters. But with the GOP even more extreme together with four more years of demographic erosion, the result is almost certain to be another catastrophic defeat. Sooner or later, moderate traditional Burke-Taft-Kirk conservatism will either be restored to its rightful place in the GOP, or the party will fail and be replaced by something less toxic. It's simply not possible that the unpalatable hoodlums who dominate the party at present can continue indefinitely on their hopeless course, but it may take a long time. Remember, the British Labour Party was effectively unelectable for fourteen years before the Blairites gained command - but eventually they did.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Absolutely. He is the only one in the entire camp who had a realistic shot at beating Obama in a national election.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Absolutely. He is the only one in the entire camp who had a realistic shot at beating Obama in a national election.
And he was supposed to be the candidate, only the orders were muddled:

"Lord Raglan wishes the Cavalry to advance rapidly to the front, follow the enemy, and try to prevent the enemy carrying away the guns. Troop Horse Artillery may accompany. French Cavalry is on your left. Immediate."

Forward, the Light Brigade!" Was there a man dismay'd? Not tho' the soldier knew Some one had blunder'd. Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Romney has gone way far right...not because he believes in it...because after all, no one is quite sure what he believes in. In the past, he claimed to be moderate and nowadays in pandering to the far right, he claims to be one of them. Huntsman just appeared to have more integrity than Romney.
After following the GOP primary very closely, I've come to this conclusion: The Republicans are crazier than ever. They actually believe that their best chance of victory was to nominate a "true conservative" (code for "as far right as possible"). The GOP was completely oblivious to what they had in Jon Huntsman and they are still completely oblivious. They aren't kicking themselves over not nominating him now because they are actually that thick. Wait and see, they will nominate some schmmuck like Santorum in 2016 if the Dems beat them this year.

Romney vs Obama represents one of the lowest marks in presidential election history. It truly does feel like a choice between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb and I'd love to have the option to choose Huntsman at this point, but I'll pull the lever and vote Romney just hoping that he can at least slow the bleeding. Obama ain't gettin it done and I can't imagine anyone doing a much worse job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections