Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
According to the Times report, the documents allege that Bain’s success over the past decade was due in part to agreements with other private equity companies to artificially keep the prices of firms they were bidding on low.

“The case centers on the “club deals” that became popular during the leveraged buyout boom of 2003 to 2007, a period that the complaint calls the “Conspiratorial Era.” It claims there was a complex web of collusive arrangements involving 11 of the world’s largest buyout firms on 19 deals.
In the buyout of HCA, for instance, Bain, K.K.R. and Merrill Lynch bought the company in 2006 for $32.1 billion, then a record. Documents produced by the defendants and filed this week showed e-mails and meetings indicating that other equity firms had agreed to “stand down” and avoid bidding with the understanding that they would be brought into future deals.”

Unfortunately, according to Kosman’s sources, we’ll have to wait until next year for the case to make it to trial, so new details are unlikely to emerge anytime soon. This is certainly good news for the Romney campaign, which would be harmed by any lengthy public airing of allegations against his former firm. It should be stressed that all of the offenses alleged in this suit occured between 2003-2007, at least two years after Romney cut ties with Bain. That being said, if these allegations are true, it would certainly say a lot about the culture of his firm, and the industry itself, just a few years after he departed as one of its most prominent figures.
Does anyone truly believe that the vulture-like, corrupt culture of Bain changed very much since the time Romney was considered promininent with the company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
let me see if I understand this, a seller agrees to sell their company for $x, and its the buyers fault others didnt come in and offer more money?

Old 09-13-2012, 12:27 PM

756 posts, read 714,266 times
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/10/picture-of-the-day-mitt-romneys-money-shot/246658/

Fine Young Vultures...

Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
let me see if I understand this, a seller agrees to sell their company for $x, and its the buyers fault others didnt come in and offer more money?
Yes, if the buyer (Bain) colluded with other potential buyers to avoid paying a higher price by eliminating any possible competing bids.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Does anyone truly believe that the vulture-like, corrupt culture of Bain changed very much since the time Romney was considered promininent with the company?
Ask Obama, he has hired a few Bain execs to run his campaign.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Add the element of collusion, and then you'd appear to understand price fixing, yes.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And Barack Obama is accused of registering for college as a foreign national, but his college records are sealed so we have no way to prove it so if it is true, we won't know before election day. That's why they're called "allegations".

Why are you so obsessed with this sort of crap? I seriously don't understand. I have a list of things I don't like about Obama and a list of things I don't like about Romney -- based on fact. Why create conspiracy theories based on as yet unproven allegations of wrongdoing that happened after Romney had stepped down as CEO of Bain Capital? It's the same mentality as birthers -- just begging for reasons to hate the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections