Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
This is how you wish it worked.

Many employers hire efficiency experts who recommend processes (including but not limited to pay freezes) to increase worker productivity while reducing employee cost but increasing profit.
This just in from the real world: worker incomes are tied directly to worker productivity. It is not possible to sustainably pay employees more than their time is worth (see UAW membership, 1960-2010) nor is it possible to pay employees less than they are worth. If one is collecting the highest wage that any employer will pay, it's a square deal. If that does not meet one's requirements, then improvements in skills, attitude, work habits, and other means to improve one's value is the path to higher income. And there is always the option to test your market value by hanging out your own shingle.

Jobs are not some twisted form of charity. They are an economic transaction between a willing buyer of labor and a willing seller of labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And if I could add to your list: Romney squirrels his money offshore in tax havens.
"his money"

For being the educated class (prideful) liberals sure are:

Greedy and Envious

That would be a hat trick

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
But you are not restricted on what you receive to what you paid in. So you can receive more than you paid in.
Yes, you can, but that is only true for the low-income. The middle class and above actually LOSE money on the deal.
Social Security not deal it once was for workers

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Romney's comments were wholly and completely about "income tax." Therefore, every other effort by Democrats to make this about "paying no taxes at all" falls flat on it's face.

There you go again. Confusing the Dems with facts.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
As much disdain as BHO has for the other half.....
Exactly.

The productive contributors will vote for Romney. The leeches will vote for Obama.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Tax Policy Center may say it's 46%, but the IRS and the CBO say it's 51%. I'll believe them over the Tax policy Center.
Oh yes? So the "takers" are now in the majority. And as Romney pointed out so aptly, the "takers" are never going to vote for him or anyone else opposed to their taking. So the GOP is cooked, well and truly and hopelessly stuffed. Why keep fighting, then? Why not join the victors while you still can, before someone notices you were on the side of the aristos and drags you to the nearest lantern. Save yourself - there's still time.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Consider those comments along with his wife's categorizing us as "you people," then note how many of the elites in those videos even acknowledge the wait staff, let alone say thank you to them.

They really do think they are a breed apart, an elite aristocracy whose only function in life is to be rich and be waited on by the little people. You know....we 47%.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Of the ~47%,

1. ...about 22% are elderly (that's 10.3% / 46.4%)

2. ...another 15% are very poor (earning less than $20K a year).

3. ...another 63% ARE still paying payroll taxes. That means they are paying into Social Security and Medicare, which are the two biggest entitlement program and among the biggest items in the federal budget.

4. That leaves only about 2% unaccounted for.

5. Even though these people don't pay federal tax, many of them may still owe state / local taxes, and many are presumably paying sales taxes, vehicle taxes, etc.

6. The reason that the 63% are not paying federal taxes is simple: they are taking advantage of a huge array of tax deductions that riddle the tax code. It doesn't take a genius to recognize that very many of those deductions existed before Obama; they are the product of both Republicans AND Democrats in Congress going back many years. Those folks are doing the same thing Mitt does: taking advantage of whatever legal options have been afforded to them to reduce their tax burden.

Source: Brookings Tax Policy Center courtesy of CNN. Just the facts about taxes - Do half of us really pay no taxes? (1) - CNNMoney

Now the qualitative part... if 22% of those not paying taxes are elderly, 15% are very poor, and 63% still pay into payroll taxes, then how can Mitt Romney just blithely write them all off as lazy "victims?" This is simply reckless.

Getting more people paying into federal taxes is a good goal, but if you want to do that AND get elected, then the obvious thing to do is: (1) don't insult 47% of people as being lazy moochers, and (2) present and gain support for a tax reform strategy that guts most of those tax breaks and lowers tax rates (good luck).
oh please,,,49% OF FILERS pay nearly nothing or nothing in federal income tax...of those nearly 40% get back MORE than they paid in fedeal income tax too include payroll tax

I earn 60k a year and pay NOTHING in federal income OR payroll tax

Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Do the elderly drive on the roads? Use medical services? Fly? Everyone uses and benefits from the services provided by the government.

We need to recognize that we can't continue to exclude a larger and larger portion of the population from contributing to the funding of the systems we all benefit from.

When I was growing up my pop used to tell me "I'm paying the bills, I make the rules." We shouldn't be surprised that the small percentage of the people who pay the bills (including myself) want to make the darn rules.

When I was 18 I decided the Navy would free me from pop's rules. I traded one set for another.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
The Republican position is to tax the middle class and poor.
Lower taxes to almost zero on the rich.
Plain and simple.
So who is going to pay the national debt off???????
Who????
I don't see it.
Arithmetic people, think simple arithmetic.
its the liberals that want to tax everyone

the AMT (a liberal idea to '''tax the rich""") hurts more middleclass than upperclass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections