Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times

Advertisements

I see this no more offensive than:

"And it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations"

But those who are condemning Romney's comments probably laughed at the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama doesn't care about this country including dems and repubs... his ideology wants to bring our standard of living down and the third world countries to prosper.. Obama thinks us all to be rich , even the poor here is rich to him .

Obama wants to bankrupt this country and he is doing an amazing job killing jobs and spending money on foolish green energy. Obama the spend thrift. the safety net is eroding and one day those welfare checks will not go out because he spent us into default.. the dollar will have no credibility in the world as we continue to be downgraded.
Did you even think about this? What possible reason would Obama have to want to bring the standard of living down and bankrupt our country?

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Did you hear about one of the takers..she had multiple identities and used them to get food stamps..Sold the cards for cash. She paid for cosmetic surgery, new stereo system and a new pink paint job on her 2008 car. Now that is a taker.
Nice anecdote! 1 contrived story does not equal 47%!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Romney will hurt the GOP candidates down ticket, so please have Mitt talk as often as possible.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
The problem with Mitts statement is that it reeks hypocrisy. Lets see, he pays no income tax because his income is not derived from wages, and he enjoys a tax code that allows him to pay 13% on dividend income. Yet, he berates, others who pay no income tax due to taking advantage of tax credits( child tax credit, earned income credit, etc).

So he is fully able to take advantage of the tax code, but others cant?

Now if he had spliced out the small percentage of the population that actually doesnt pay taxes because they dont work, and they receive, welfare, subsidized housing, etc...this probably wouldnt have garnered as much attention. But he chose to lump 47% of the population into a group of lazy slobs, waiting for a govt check..this is why he sucks as a candidate.
You can take advantage of the tax code as well, you just have to be productive and do something with your life.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
If Romney is the best the Republicans have got, then the rest must be utterly dreadful.
I Watched the piece on the BBC this morning and I just could not believe what I was hearing.

I would imagine that any Democrat, or independent for that matter who might have considered voting for Romney must now be having second thoughts, now that they realise that the would be president of the United States believes that 47% of the US population are deadbeats.
I support Obama. Romney just called me a deadbeat who takes no responsibility for his life. I have paid in thousands and thousands and thousands more in taxes in my lifetime and continue to pay them in retirement. I have also paid thousands for social security and medicare and I don't consider them handouts.

Romney's remarks won't change my vote, of course, as I saw through this fool years ago. But maybe some other people my age who get SS and don't pay taxes will not like being called trash by the rich guy and give their support for him a second thought.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I support Obama. Romney just called me a deadbeat who takes no responsibility for his life. I have paid in thousands and thousands and thousands more in taxes in my lifetime and continue to pay them in retirement. I have also paid thousands for social security and medicare and I don't consider them handouts.
Nobody called you a dead beat. You pay taxes right? Enough said. You guys and your girly tantrums are so laughable.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Nice anecdote! 1 contrived story does not equal 47%!
Not contrived .. you are wrong as usual.

http://www.atoast2wealth.com/2012/09...astic-surgery/

Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,127 times
"There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it."

This, from a man who got $70,000 Government tax break last year for his pet horse.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Not contrived .. you are wrong as usual.

http://www.atoast2wealth.com/2012/09...astic-surgery/
My apologies. What I meant was 1 biased story with an inflammatory headline from a source that uses "2" instead of "to" does not equal 47% of the populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections