Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah now folks are whining that they can't take advantage of the tax code because they pay no taxes. Amazing.
This is the entitlement society Obama has created! What a pathetic excuse for a leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
What do coal trains driving by your house have to do with love canal?
Uh, you said this:

Quote:
Ever heard of coal? Probably not. They used to mine it in WV. A lot of it until Obama got his way. You people and your race baiting nonsense is simply pathetic.
They still do. An awful lot of it. It isn't ever going to stop. The trains from WV to the Baltimore coal terminal run consistently. I know, because I hear and see them every day.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
That 47% Mitt disdains as “freeloaders” that he “doesn’t have to worry about” includes:

Seniors/retired people
Military personnel
Disabled veterans
Students
People who make $26k a year

The is amazing ignorance from a man who pretends to want to represent ALL of America.
Stop with the fake outrage. We ALL know that your were told to march out onto your assigned forums and keep this nonsense alive. That much is OBVIOUS and you guys aren't fooling anyone anymore.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nobody called you a dead beat. You pay taxes right? Enough said. You guys and your girly tantrums are so laughable.
Romney clearly said 47% of the people in America don't take personal responsibility for their lives and want government handouts. To come up with that number he has to have included people on Social Security, deployed military, the working poor, and the disabled. These are the people who generally don't pay taxes. Surely you don't agree with Mitt that 47% of Americans are deadbeats? He didn't just say it once. He said it several times on the tape and didn't retract that in his damage control press conference.

Quote:
Yeah now folks are whining that they can't take advantage of the tax code because they pay no taxes. Amazing.
You're missing the point. Some people don't pay taxes because they DO take advantage of the tax codes that help low income people. YET Romney is lumping them in the group he calls deadbeats. Why is is okay for a rich guy to take advantage of tax codes and he's called 'smart' but when a low income person uses the tax codes to lower their taxes they are called deadbeats who want government handouts?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
You forgot people on welfare... freeloaders

Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
And it gets even better.

There's an assumption being made by Romney (and most Republicans, and many on this forum) that is totally wrong. First, what Romney said:

And the assumption being made is that the 47% who don't pay income tax are low-income Democrats.

However ....

Who Doesn't Pay Federal Income Taxes (Legally) - NYTimes.com

As you can see from the table above, there were 443,000 households with income over $103,000 who paid NO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES. And according to Romney, they will vote for President Obama "no matter what." Cool. Hopefully they'll come across with some big campaign contributions, too.
So, 61% of those 47% are employed but earn too little to be taxed (they pay payroll tax, and state tax), and a good portion of them are retired. How many of them are actual parasites aka "takers"? And why does he claim all 47% will all vote for Obama?

Did Romney pay tax? If he did not, then is he one of those parasite "takers"?

And this guy is talking about sending our guys to fight in Iran, and when they come back without arms and legs, he'll call them "takers" because they need help from the VA? Are you kidding me?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
They were very stupid for him to make. They were very uneloquently stated. I'm not denying that.
Disagree somewhat his only marginal fault was to denounce all Dem voters as freeloaders and all freeloaders as Dem voters. Still he wasn't too off the mark even with that thought.
Quote:
That being said, his point wasn't that 47% of Americans are freeloaders. While about 47% of people aren't paying federal income taxes, I don't think he intended to suggest that this 47% is the 47% he was characterizing as lazy, not wanting to take responsibility for their lives, etc. Some are unemployed and don't want to be unemployed, some are low income, working hard, not taking handouts, and want better jobs, some are elderly and living off SS, etc. and he knows this.
He'd be better off stating explicitly who he is talking about. My guess is he was referring to people like this:

Dallas Housing Authority Section 8 Chaos - YouTube

Quote:
I'm sure he didn't mean to suggest that any of them are freeloading, lazy, support a culture of dependency, etc. Some people pay a little in federal income taxes but get a lot more back in handouts and I'm sure he knows this. I think he mentioned that so many aren't paying federal income taxes as an example of the culture of dependency (the idea that a lot of people want stuff handed to them without having to pay anything in return) and the correlation between the two figures is a mere coincidence.
Also keep in mind that 47% numbers simply means people who file taxes. Unlike many liberals here I actually do charity work. One task was to do tax preparation for the poor. Tax time is like the 2nd Xmas in the hood. Folks get their big checks for 6,8,10K in the form of the EITC which they subsequently blow on vacations, boyfriends and God knows what else.

Quote:
The reality is that most of this group will vote for Obama no matter what. That is reality. There are people who will vote for Obama because they benefit from our culture of dependency or want handouts in the future. No spin will change that. Now, there are certainly many people who are planning to vote for Obama who do not benefit from this culture of dependency and do not want handouts. I don't think he meant that all Obama voters fall into this group, even though it may have seemed that way. I think his point was that this group is the most unreachable for him.
Or they'll vote for him because he is Black. What are you going to do?
Quote:
In the end, this could help him fire up the conservative/Republican base. In the end, most of the people he was referring to who are in the middle who may be undecided and would consider voting for him likely aren't in this group and, among those who are, wouldn't consider themselves to be a part of this group. A lot of independent voters are fiscally conservative and sick of the entitlement mentality. Hell, this may help him draw a clear contrast between his vision and Obama's and score him some points with this group. It certainly may turn away a few undecideds, but not many, and I think increased enthusiasm among the Republican base may counteract it. Yes, there are people in the Republican base who fall into this group, but they don't really consider themselves to be a part of this group. I don't think it's going to have a big impact on the election either way, as long as his campaign handles it correctly (and I do have some doubts that they will but, then again, this could blow over anyway).
Exactly. He needs to not back down and take this message home. Get some welfare mooching ads up. The Left will call him racist so what. He doesn't need their votes he needs the votes of people in Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida
Quote:
He has a good point. I think we should all use this as an opportunity to consider how many Americans are freeloaders, how many love our culture of dependency, and how many have such an extreme entitlement mentality. And they vote for the culture of dependency to continue. It's disturbing when you think about it.
Yup.

Quote:
As an aside, I love how the media is all over this and made such a big deal out of it, in addition to Romney's comments last week about the attack on Libya. Hell, they were more focused on Romney's comments than on the Middle East crisis, with at least one member of the media (I forget who) suggesting they couldn't cover the crisis because they had to focus on Romney's comments?!?!? If this doesn't prove that the media is in the tank for Obama, I don't know what does. That being said, a lot of lefties and those in the media suggested that he screwed himself over by making those comments and look at what happened. Obama's convention bounce continued to fade and now it's back to Romney +2 in Rasmussen and Obama + 3 in Gallup.
If Romney wins the biggest loser will be the MSM their influence will be repudiated and the 4th estate crushed. I'm just not sure Romney is up for the fight.

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, 61% of those 47% are employed but earn to little that they don't pay tax (they pay payroll tax, and state tax), and a good portion of them are retired. How are they parasites aka "takers"? And why does he claim they will all vote for Obama?

Did Romney pay tax? If he did not, then is he one of those parasite "takers"?

Why nshould a retired person pay tax? Yes Romney paid about $5 million in taxes last yr.

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Stop with the fake outrage. We ALL know that your were told to march out onto your assigned forums and keep this nonsense alive. That much is OBVIOUS and you guys aren't fooling anyone anymore.
Oh yes, because Republicans don't care about seniors, military, disabled, veterans, students, and people who make below $26K (or as Ray calls them, freeloaders.)

I would love to see any one of you try to live on $26K and tell me if that is a sustainable way to live.

Also, I love how you Cons overlook the fact that your own Republicans use to support these very same programs.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,127 times
That 47% he is talking about who pay no federal income taxes other than FICA include all our soldiers, the entire working class, pretty much everybody in rural locations or small towns... That is everybody who makes less than $42k/year. The earned income tax credit covers their tax liability. They pay other taxes of course, but not federal income.

That is who Romney is now openly admitting- first on hidden camera, but then again in his press conference- that he thinks are such leeches that he wouldn't even care what happened to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections