Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 09:34 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times

Advertisements

The red states tend to be low wage-low cost of living states.

It makes sense that their residents would pay less in income taxes than high wage-high cost of living states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Hard to put stock in this outdated data from a polling sample done in 2004 when we have tons of recent data.
Notice the trend over the years.

Post contradicting information including the source if you have it.

Lower-income earners are overwhelmingly Democrat. That's a fact.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I like the fair tax better, that way everyone pays the same.
I'm good with that as long as there are no exemptions or exclusions. That way, the spending of those who earn income via criminal activity is taxed, as well.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"Leeches?" That is pretty hateful!

The severely handicapped are not the majority of people on food stamps and rental assistance and some other freebees I could name. Doesn't it make you angry the able bodied people want to consider themselves on the same level of needy as those in these pictures you posted?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The red states tend to be low wage-low cost of living states.

It makes sense that their residents would pay less in income taxes than high wage-high cost of living states.
Yet, the conservatives here call them freeloaders and Romney displays disdain for them.

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Yes, thank you I am aware. I don't see what that has to do with my post at all. I said nothing about paying taxes, whether it be income, payroll, or sales tax.

I don't see where your response is coming from again. Yes, public officials as well as the services they provide comes from tax money. I said nothing about not paying taxes. I think everyone SHOULD pay their taxes. That's my whole point. The near 47% who don't pay income tax, or the 18% who don't pay payroll tax, SHOULD be paying taxes, to go toward those things. Those tax dollars also go toward those who are FREELOADING off the government, the whole point of these posts. Those who aren't even trying to work, living off welfare and foodstamps. We are paying for those people. Not the ones who aren't paying their taxes. That's the whole point. I pay my taxes to provide these things. They should too.
The point is that just because you may be paying payroll taxes, doesn't necessarily mean you're contributing any more than others, and in fact you may actually be contributing less!

So by your definition, aren't you also a "freeloader" by renting, instead of paying the property taxes that support your own community? Or do you have a second home or a business that you also pay taxes on? Or what about all the retired folks who may pay no payroll taxes, but contribute far more than you ever do in sales and excise taxes, and fees on luxury vehicles, boats, RVs, planes, etc..... or are you paying your "fair share" there too?

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Of course not, but as we all know, the two populations I listed are horrendously disproportionate in their use of welfare.
Do you have prove that welfare is disproportionately black and hispanic?

Quote:
http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/
Total number of American’s on welfare 15,000,000
Percent of the US population on welfare 4.1 %
Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment) $131.9 billion
Percent of recipients who are white 38.8 %
Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 %
Percent of recipients who are hispanic 15.7 %
Percent of recipients who are Asian 2.4 %
Percent of recipients who are Other 3.3 %
So only 4.1% of that 47% are on welfare.

Also there is almost an equal number of blacks and whites on welfare.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Default Romney is right

People who are getting government checks, especially those who get welfare checks will vote for Obama. There is something wrong with a country that thinks government checks is a good thing to be held in high regard.

I don't want to hear about SS, elderly I am talking about people who are able but not willing.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"Leeches?" That is pretty hateful!
If all 51% who pay no federal income tax were genuinely incapacitated, you'd have a point.

As they aren't; you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections