Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You can't call half the nation a bunch of freeloaders when you are one yourself.
I only listened to the tape once but did Mitt actually say "freeloaders"? Even though it's what he meant but I'll go back and check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
I've already shown (post #24) that the 47% of households that didn't pay federal income tax includes households with incomes over $100,000, $500,000, and even $2,000,000. So the premise of Romney's -- that the 47% is comprised of people "who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it"-- is obviously and easily-proven false.

It's not that he lied. It's worse than that. It's that he didn't know any better. And he wants to be President??

But even that degree of cluelessness isn't the worst part of his ridiculous statements. This is:

"My job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

Wrong, wrong, wrong. As CEO of a company that made money by shipping jobs overseas, you could -- and apparently did - very easily not worry about "those people." But you aspire to be President of the United States, and in that role you must be concerned for ALL its citizens.

The more I hear from and about Romney, the more convinced I am that he would be a terrible choice for this country. I had initially thought of him as I did of Bush II ... a nice guy with political beliefs I did not share. But now? Romney's just not a very good person. And he's the best the Republicans could do?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Son,

Your are brainwashed. Welfare and foodstamps are so small in the grand scheme of things. Republicans want you to believe that minorities are the major cause of our budget woes through these social programs. Do some research on farm subsidies. Tell me why people like Michelle Bachmann has received federal dollars.

Rep. Michele Bachmann: She's had her share of government aid - Los Angeles Times

Mitt Romney is on record saying that he knows how to lobby for federal money during his tenure with the SLS Games. It's all a big game. The military rakes in all of our taxes.
See, I don't disagree with you on most of that. But that's not the point of my post. My whole point was about the people who live off the government, getting welfare, food stamps, etc when they aren't needed.

I agree 100% that there are much bigger problems when it comes to our budget and deficit. Talking about Romney and the Salt Lake Olympics isn't the bext example though. For one, it wasn't to support him personally. If we want to take it to a personal level, Romney deferred his salary for running the games until after the finances were secure, then he donated it to charity. Sounds like an evil money monger to me. The Olympics were going to crap before Romney took over. He turned it around and made it a shining success. So again, not the best argument against him.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM

464 posts, read 479,191 times
So to review, people who want housing, food, and healthcare: entitled freeloaders.

People who want to get BJs in the pool while they watch nude Russian dancers: campaign supporters.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
People who want to get BJs in the pool while they watch nude Russian dancers: campaign supporters.
They may have been related to some of the nude Russians, in which case they were practicing family values.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Since you are seemingly very well informed about nearly everything political I am wondering if you could explain some of your linked graph. I fail to understand too much of it and keep seeing the favorite Obama words so often and really in that one.

What are payroll taxes? Are they like SS and Medicare as Obama says or do they also include income taxes? For some reason, it seems that some people talk about taxes withheld from their pay checks as payroll taxes but never include income with the others. When the Congress went along with Obama and cut SS taxes they called that payroll taxes. What happens when all tax cuts drop out?

Just explain to me the difference in the taxes that are withheld from pay checks, please, because it is important that the people here know about that if they read your linked article.

I am wondering, also, if you consider anything from Facebook as something that doesn't possible lean either direction. I don't since people who post there mostly have some kind of agenda.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
That is exactly correct, humans and animals ARE the same. What kind of selfish, disgusting person thinks that, somehow, their meaningless lives are any more significant than that of an animal?
One that believes in God.
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."
Genesis 1 King James 2000
The athiests are another group that Romney may have a hard time with.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
So poor people who work, but can't afford to pay their rent without government assistance should pay taxes?
Yes. If they can't afford their rent, get a roommate(s). If they don't like having a roommate, work harder, smarter, improve their skills, etc., to make their paychecks match their desired standard of living.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM

1,196 posts, read 838,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
So to review, people who want housing, food, and healthcare: entitled freeloaders.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I am part of Obama's base. I work for a living, own a home, six figure household income and pay taxes. I have struggled before. This is where people like yourself go wrong, making assumptions about Obama's base and assuming that we are a bunch of welfare recipients looking for handouts.
Look at the voter demographics. Assumptions CAN be made about Obama's base. The numbers ARE there...

2008 Presidential Election CNN National Exit Poll:
Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections