Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,158 times

Advertisements

Paddyy Power, Ladbrokes and Bwin are just 3 bookmakers (and they're very big bookmakers) who have now Romney at an all time low price. Now I ask this question as pollsters, politicans and commentators always get challenged for their political leanings but the only allegiance the bookie has is to the pretty green cabbage that fills his bank balance.

Now, simple question, what has caused the Romney slump and if things aren't getting better from Romney now and they're still looking this bad this time next October how seriously can Romney be taken as a challenger and why aren't the big funders who are backing him backing him in similarly large amounts as those betting on Obama?

What can change, what will change and what can turn ths election around and also is the race closer than the bookies are suggesting? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Dumb English are just going by the skewed left wing media polls!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
I feel like its more a sign of desperation on your end when you're trying to use sale prices set by European book companies to try to somehow make some sort of point about our candidate

Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 AM

Just stating the facts, no need to get so uppity. You really think that bookmakers care who wins the election?

Bit itchy on the trigger finger of defensiveness there boyos, nay need.

Just interested in facts, not partisan warbling but knock yourself out for all I care.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Paddyy Power, Ladbrokes and Bwin are just 3 bookmakers (and they're very big bookmakers) who have now Romney at an all time low price. Now I ask this question as pollsters, politicans and commentators always get challenged for their political leanings but the only allegiance the bookie has is to the pretty green cabbage that fills his bank balance.

Now, simple question, what has caused the Romney slump and if things aren't getting better from Romney now and they're still looking this bad this time next October how seriously can Romney be taken as a challenger and why aren't the big funders who are backing him backing him in similarly large amounts as those betting on Obama?

What can change, what will change and what can turn ths election around and also is the race closer than the bookies are suggesting? Thanks for your time.

well, thats the liberal meia for you. want to bet that it would be different if the media was actually neutral?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, thats the liberal meia for you. want to bet that it would be different if the media was actually neutral?
: smack::s mack::sm ack:

Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Yeah, it's the MEDIA's fault that the GOP nominated a tool for president. Keep telling yourself that if not for the EVIL LIBRUL MEDIA Romney would be beloved by all Americans. The contortions you guys have to go through in order to to keep supporting this guy have to be painful.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Just stating the facts, no need to get so uppity. You really think that bookmakers care who wins the election?

Bit itchy on the trigger finger of defensiveness there boyos, nay need.

Just interested in facts, not partisan warbling but knock yourself out for all I care.
No, I'm first to admit Romney is way down in the polls. I hope he wins but I'm not expecting it at this point. My point is that that's the most ludicrous metric of presidential odds I have ever seen someone post. You may be stating the facts, but they don't prove anything.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Dumb English are just going by the skewed left wing media polls!
Yeah, all those leftist British newspapers, like the Telegraph.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Yeah, all those leftist British newspapers, like the Telegraph.
Most British newspapers are conservative as you have rightly pointed out squarian. Rupert Murdoch owner of FOX News has a huge influence in the UK remember, owning the biggest selling daily tabloid the Sun. Romney supporters are getting a little confused with the bad publicity he received over there just before the Olympics as some kind of signal that the UK isn't very conservative which is just not the case, it is just as polarised as the US but with a few hangovers from Kenynesian's impressive handbook of compromise (i.e. the NHS).

Don't base your opinion on one Romney visit where he didn't come across very well. If he wins he and the Tory Government will be best friends in no time. And Boris Johnson, favourite to be next Tory Prime Minister (after Cameron) will also be much more open and less coy about his admiration for the GOP. David Cameron likes his West Wing boxed set collection too much to completely tie his colours to the mast.

The biggest tabloid rival to Murdoch's 'The Sun' and 'Times' is 'the Daily Mail' and 'Mail Online' is one of the most popular conservative sites in America too.

I confess, I am not a conservative but to portray Britain as having a Liberal media is pretty wide of the mark. As A.J Liebling once famously remarked "Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one." Well, most media moguls happen to be 1) very wealthy and extremely supportive of tax cuts for themselves and those in the same social spectrum and 2) VERY CONSERVATIVE

I wouldn't necessarily overplay their significance but I think bookmakers are a source of information to be considered in the overall picture and are as good as any other sample poll when taken across the board and not in isolation.

I was just as more of a political observer watching with intrigue wanting opinions that weren't as overly-sensitive. If you think Romney will win and want to express why the race is alot closer than some are predicting I'm all ears. i'm genuinely interested in hearing some facts.

tmsterp only time will tell but thanks for at least giving an honest opinion.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 09-18-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections