Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Is that you Jeane Dixon?

I heard you were clairvoyant, but I didn't know you could instantly read the minds of large groups.

That sure is some talent you have there swami.
Hahaaa, sorry I knew people there and they said Ryan was booed. They don't like what he wants to do to medicare. Why is that so hard for you to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Hahaaa, sorry I knew people there and they said Ryan was booed. They don't like what he wants to do to medicare. Why is that so hard for you to believe.
But, booed off the stage. There weren't enough people booing for him to leave. I guess the AARP forgot to sign up enough to get him off the stage.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
One would think Natalie would at least investigate to inform her father as to what is going on. Maybe they both drink from the same glass of Obama koolaid though.
How dare you insinuate that my father doesn't know what is going on in politics. Without a doubt he is more informed than you are. And my gut tells me he is more of a man than you. He was in WW2 and CIA to fight for your ass. And you have no idea what he went through and what it cost our family. What did you do to protect our country.
My dad left the republican party because they left him by concentrating on social issues

Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Try to stay with the thread topic. I know it's difficult but the ole switch to the other guy/different topic, is so transparent when you have a weak argument for your failed candidate.
Excellent point! I personally think Ryan jumping into the lion's den with the seniors at the AARP Convention was a bad move considering the week Romney had. Makes no sense at all but hey, if you want to anger your only possible voting base, go right ahead. Romney/Ryan are counting are those over 50 white males and they are obviously not buying what they are selling when you tell them we are going to repeal Obamacare and take your Medicare and turn into a voucher program.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am sure pre baby boom families are chomping at the bit to take in and support their respective parents, the way people used to do before all these silly " entitlements". Back then the average life expectancy for a man was 58 and a woman 62 so most families did not have a bunch of old folk needing their financial support taking up space and hogging the remote, in their homes.

The first boomers turned 65 in 2011. The fun has just begun.
Don't know exactly where you got your demographic from, but it was in the 1930's that a man only lived
to 57 and a women lived to 65...thus the argument that no one was really going to be "collecting" anyways....
So, "the way" folks used to do it, before those silly "entitlements" does not even apply.

I know back in the 1970's-80's, a lot of the folks who are on SS and Medicare NOW, had their parents transfer their wealth, so they could declare them as indigent, and get them on the public dole for long term nursing home care, while still "keeping their inheritance intact".

So, this notion "the good old' days" when folks did/wanted to take care of/pay for their ailing parents is quite the myth.
Bottom line - it was a burden back then, it's a burden now, and especially now that folks
are living, maybe "too long", from a productive stand point.

Is it right? No, but it's honest.
As a society, let's decide WHEN, not if, we will have single payer universal health care in this country,
and two, Put a stop to Congress "stealing" from Social Security to pay for "Wars":

On March 16, 2011, Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) uttered the following words during a Senate speech:

“Congresses under both Republican and Democrat control, both Republican and Democrat presidents, have stolen money from social security and spent it. The money’s gone. It’s been used for another purpose.”

Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Default Dang, we have the makings of a writer here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
He was still on the stage and doing a good job of educating some folks it looked like to me. Actually I don't know if they were booing Ryan or Obamacare. Your article also states that he was cheered during his speech too. I guess that didn't make the video at old Huff post for some reason or your thread title either.

I suggest trying again or are you just counting on the swooners who never read links or watch videos to jump in screaming like usual?
You make excellent points. I was watching part of that speech too (not sure how much I missed), and he certainly was doing a good job of "educating," and he was very artuculate. It wasn't as much a campaign speech, I thought, as it was a lecture. I found myself giving him my full attention.

But, of course, the left always attempts to hide the real "meat" in a speech like that, and look for some tiny detail that might be misused and edited out to paint a totally different picture. They try to tell us that what we heard was not what we thought we heard. Well, I hate to tell them, I have ears. I heard what you heard.

The Romney/Ryan capmpaign draws huge crowds, while the Obama campaign must bus in supporters (Mansfield Ohio a few weeks back — reported by Ohio Tea Partiers who were there. That's right, lefties; you only think the Tea Party is dead).

Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
I personally think Ryan jumping into the lion's den with the seniors at the AARP Convention was a bad move
It was a bad move, picking Ryan as the VP, for exactly the same reason.
Romney lost the election then and there, IMO.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Default This is B.S.

Quote:
I think seniors are the most educated demographic in this election so they don't need educating Just because they are old does not mean they are not well informed. And they were definitely booing Ryan because they don't want a voucher system.
With the lies being poured out daily by the left (such as yours above), they definitely do nead educating about the Ryan Plan vs. ObamaCare, which does indeed strip $716 B from Medicare to pay for ObamaCare. And the Independent Payment Advisory Board is tasked with the job of reducing costsby rationing care. This board will determine what treatments are available to seniors.

As a senior myself, I'd prefer the Ryan plan, which offers choice in plans, and not limit what treatments are available.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

As a senior myself, I'd prefer the Ryan plan, which offers choice in plans, and not limit what treatments are available.
Why wouldn't you prefer the Ryan plan
You are already a "senior" - you are not affected - you are exempt.
You have been given a "guarantee" regardless.
Live long and prosper, as they say

Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
Quote:
I saw the video, it was a mixed reaction and he actually got more cheers than anything when he announced that Ocare would get repealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections