Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
But denying scores of potential voters the access to vote because they need a photo ID is OK, since you're keeping the one fraudulent voter from voting

I am mex-american and most of the other mex-ams that I know here in Tex vote Dem. The only ones that seem to vote Repub are the bible thumper variety and the ones that are employed in an insurance-related industry since their livelihoods depend on the dissolution of Obamacare.
The ones in my family I'm speaking of are in medical professions. But seriously, how hard is it to get a photo I.d? We use photo I.D. to make purchases, write checks, get cetain government services, register for school etc...why no gnashing of teeth about those things but all this fuss about voting? My guess is there's so much crying because there's more fraud going on than is being caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
So wouldn't that show people that Hispanics don't fit in one box, that they are just as varied in their views as white Americans?
And apparently there's also a huge difference in Obama's support between "latinas" and "latinos":

Texas on the Potomac- The new gender gap: Poll shows Obama with 52 point lead among Latinas, 29 point lead among Hispanic men

Old 09-23-2012, 03:24 PM

96 posts, read 86,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Texas doesn't have to be liberal to swing Blue.

Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, are all fairly conservative but often vote Democrat.

Texas itself was one of the last southern states to go red, and I guess it stayed red because of the Bush legacy. Up until 1980 it was fairly blue.

Places like Kentucky and Tennessee have people who refuse to change registration from democrat to republican but yet vote republican. Some say they were born democrat and will die a democrat, but somehow consistently vote republican.

Texas is more of a libertarian state than either conservative or liberal. Also, Its not that they want big gov, or small government, they want government for the most part to live them alone.

True, but all of those you mentioned are heavily unionized, and Texas wants nothing to do with unions.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 PM

96 posts, read 86,076 times
I could see Texas electing a moderate, blue dog type democrat like Bill Clinton, or Evan Bayh, or someone like that I cant see TX (or really any southern state) support someone, who is far left as Obama. Virginia is a toss up, but VA isn't really a southern state anymore, neither is Maryland.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 676 times
Minnesota and Iowa are not heavily unionized. Minnesota's rate is about 12% and Iowa's is even less

Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCastellano80 View Post
I could see Texas electing a moderate, blue dog type democrat like Bill Clinton, or Evan Bayh, or someone like that I cant see TX (or really any southern state) support someone, who is far left as Obama. Virginia is a toss up, but VA isn't really a southern state anymore, neither is Maryland.
nonsense, O won NC last time, he came within 5 points in Georgia (47 to 52)the last time. He had some good polling in SC this year but has not been campaigning there.

If Obama can get 45% of the vote in states like Texas and South Carolina, and 47% in Georgia with no campaigning, no serious ground game, no serious statewide surrogates then can you imagine what he would get if he actually put in effort in those places or had someone to do it for him.

Heck all you need to win is 48% and a mildly decent 3rd party candidate. That means he is in the ball park already for Georgia and with a little effort in Texas and SC he could be there too.

What you going to say now? North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Texas are thrown out like Virginia and Florida?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Quote:
Not true entirely. There are reactionary folks in NY. Tell someone you're from Texas and the responses you get can be plain hilarious....stereotype central.
I never tell anyone I'm from Texas. I'm too ashamed.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Quote:
So wouldn't that show people that Hispanics don't fit in one box, that they are just as varied in their views as white Americans?
Well, Hispanics do lean Democratic.

Here in Texas, I wouldn't call the white vote varied when 85% of it goes to the GOP candidate.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
nonsense, O won NC last time, he came within 5 points in Georgia (47 to 52)the last time. He had some good polling in SC this year but has not been campaigning there.

If Obama can get 45% of the vote in states like Texas and South Carolina, and 47% in Georgia with no campaigning, no serious ground game, no serious statewide surrogates then can you imagine what he would get if he actually put in effort in those places or had someone to do it for him.

Heck all you need to win is 48% and a mildly decent 3rd party candidate. That means he is in the ball park already for Georgia and with a little effort in Texas and SC he could be there too.

What you going to say now? North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Texas are thrown out like Virginia and Florida?

Good points!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I never tell anyone I'm from Texas. I'm too ashamed.
To each his own, politicians aside I'm proud of where I come from and the people I come from. I'm sure I could find plusses and minuses no matter where I lived. Just because someone lives on the East coast doesn't make them better than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections