Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,175 times

Advertisements

This is what he said:

"Ann Romney’s plane was grounded Friday after the main cabin filled with smoke. The small electrical fire caused no injuries, but apparently did cause the Presidential candidate to forget the dangers of altitude.
“When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly,” he told the LA Times. “And you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem.”
Air crafts do not open windows because the cabins are pressurized to fly safely at an altitude of tens of thousand feet. Opening a window in an airplane would seriously sicken the passengers and crew. "

Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem." - Romney
That doesn't say "roll them down" does it? What he is saying is, why don't airplane windows come out in AN EMERGENCY! I think it's a good question, why don't they?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Ummmm..I don't know. Maybe it's not such a bad idea anyhow. Depressurize the cabin, dive to a lower altitude, then have windows which would open.

Not a good option, but better than choking to death, don't you think?

Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
This is what he said:

"Ann Romney’s plane was grounded Friday after the main cabin filled with smoke. The small electrical fire caused no injuries, but apparently did cause the Presidential candidate to forget the dangers of altitude.
“When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly,” he told the LA Times. “And you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem.”
Air crafts do not open windows because the cabins are pressurized to fly safely at an altitude of tens of thousand feet. Opening a window in an airplane would seriously sicken the passengers and crew. "
This is what he said:

Notice the closed quote at the end.

The reporter added:

Air crafts do not open windows because the cabins are pressurized to fly safely at an altitude of tens of thousand feet. Opening a window in an airplane would seriously sicken the passengers and crew.

Reading is fundamental.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,367 times
GOP supporters are actually on here trying to spin those comments in a positive light??!! Wow, the blind will follow its leader into the abyss.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 PM

46,941 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That doesn't say "roll them down" does it? What he is saying is, why don't airplane windows come out in AN EMERGENCY! I think it's a good question, why don't they?
Because adding weak spots to a pressurized cabin is likely to cause more problems than it solves. Or because getting a 200 MPH+ draft of fresh, oxygen-rich air through the cabin is just the thing to turn a smoldering electrical fire into a good-sized conflagration.

People who design and approve aircraft are very, very smart and drawing on close to a century's worth of hard-won experience. Cabin pressurization is a pretty damn complex setup as it is, and thankfully, situations where a couple of nice big holes in the fuselage would improve things are few and far between.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM

756 posts, read 713,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Romney Doesn't Understand Why You Can't Roll Down Windows On A Plane | ThinkProgress

I thought Mittens was a smart guy! This statement makes you go, what did he just say?!?!?!

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!

Is this guy even DUMBER than GWB????????????????

Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He sounds off in his interviews as well. It's creepy.
I find him creepy too. He doesn't make sense half the time, yet he sounds like he's convinced he makes perfectly good sense.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Because adding weak spots to a pressurized cabin is likely to cause more problems than it solves. Or because getting a 200 MPH+ draft of fresh, oxygen-rich air through the cabin is just the thing to turn a smoldering electrical fire into a good-sized conflagration.

People who design and approve aircraft are very, very smart and drawing on close to a century's worth of hard-won experience. Cabin pressurization is a pretty damn complex setup as it is, and thankfully, situations where a couple of nice big holes in the fuselage would improve things are few and far between.
Yeah ok, think with your head. I don't think he was talking about opening them while in flight!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Default Not good.

The wind would mess up his fabulous hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections