Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I don't have nay idea what you are referring to, but I was referring to this...

As for strategy, I would not throw stones if you are supporting a party that was all about obstruction.
I read the article, and I have to say that the main premise is EXTREMELY flimsy. Since when do Senate Republicans get to dictate legislative policy, ESPECIALLY when the House is the originator of all budget and tax bills?? Quite simply, if the House doesn't present a tax reform bill with increased taxes on the wealthy, then there's absolutely nothing that the Senate can do about that. The Senate votes (or not) on what the House delivers to it.

Additionally, they couldn't come to an agreement during the debt discussions leading up to the sequester, so why in the world should we believe that Democrats will have the upper hand after the election?? If Obama wins, and niether the Senate or the House change control, then what will be different? Some sort of contrived "mandate" to raise taxes? Yeah right! Good luck with that!

The Washington Post finds ONE Senator to quote as a source of "capitulation" and all of a sudden there's a new underground movement to let Democrats have what they want? This on top of the several quoted Republican Congressmen who stated forthrightly that they don't see the House changing its "conservative orthodoxy" on taxes?

Get real! That article was pure junk! The premise that the Senate is in control of the budget/tax discussion is beyond ludicrous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Senator breaks with no tax pledge in hunt for budget deal
(Reuters) - Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said on Thursday his party's anti-tax orthodoxy needed to be revisited, sparking interest from a senior Democrat who pledged to work with him to try to avoid deep automatic budget cuts set for early next year.
Graham's view deviates from the anti-tax pledge sponsored by Grover Norquist, head of Americans for Tax Reform. Adherence to the pledge, which has been signed by many U.S. Republicans nationwide, serves as a litmus test for electoral support among many conservatives.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Lindsey Graham sets my gaydar pinging.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Lindsey Graham sets my gaydar pinging.
And a better cultural edu-macation might enable you to adjust the "sensitivity" on that thang (among others)...

Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Seems the hard right GOP is Romney's worst nightmare, and that's giving Obama an edge.
Possibly.

I'm hard right. If I vote, I'll vote for Romney only to be voting against 0bama.

I'm in an extremely red state so I might not even bother. I held my nose and voted for McCain, and vowed I would never do that again. I won't decide 'til the morning of election day. It will depend on the weather and if I need to trim my toenails that day.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:
I'm hard right. If I vote, I'll vote for Romney only to be voting against 0bama.
Interesting comment. I live in a very conservative suburban area btw Dayton & Cincinnati and when taking my bike rides into the countryside (filled with small estates and hobby farms) I see lawn signs that say "Fire Obama". Not the smaller generic "Romney/Ryan" yard signs (I see those, too), but larger signs that say "Fire Obama"...which tells me the sentiment among conservtives is less "pro-Romney" than "anti-Obama".

I think this had something to do with the popularity of the Tea Party, that it was, perhaps, an anti-Obama movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections