Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times

Advertisements

Disenfranchised describes a person or group of people who are stripped of their power. You are NOT stripped you have every right to vote but it WILL require effort on your part. It's because of your own laziness and expectation that others do everything for you and therefor YOUR fault if you can't vote.

People act so helpless. If you think someone is trying to strip you of your right to vote get an ID it's that simple. I would be damned if someone told me I didn't have the right and would make damn sure that I got the ID even if to just keep my right to vote. The left act like a bunch of helpless people and just expect the law to fight their battle when they are perfectly capable of getting an ID. I say attach a welfare check and you will not have this problem. First you can't get an ID and then you can't check a box. How the hell helpless are you?

Bottom line is, your not, you just use sympathies of others to your advantage not to put forth any effort on your part. You use others to help people cheat and devalue my one vote just like you are devaluing the dollar.

Last edited by eRayP; 09-27-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There were a whole NINE people who complained. The process is very simple, if they can't do it, they should not vote anyway. Even if they can't get their ID in time, they can still vote, but have to make the initiative to get the ID to have their vote counted.
The nine are representative of hundreds if not thousands. Based on the Supreme Court's orders to the judge, just one disenfranchised voter may be sufficient. And based on testimony yesterday by observers of the goings-on at PennDOT centers, people were being mis-directed by PennDOT staff and were showing up and leaving because of the lines (2-3 hour wait).

The problem, btw, is not IDs in and of themselves; it's the restrictive and complicated procedures. Going to a PennDOT center by itself is an encumbrance, especially for seniors and especially for those living a half hour or more away. Also, people were being forced to go twice because PennDOT staff was unable to verify their registrations. On top of that, the main sources of information are the VotesPA and PennDOT websites, both of which would be a pain for experienced web users, but a nightmare for seniors.

I think it's appalling that people who have IDs because they drive are being so self-righteous about this. There are tens of thousands of seniors who don't drive, fly or need an ID to buy a six-pack, cash a check or get a prescription filled, yet have voted faithfully for decades, and now they have to re-register (essentially) in a process that's more complicated than the first time they signed up. Bottom line: These laws were dreamed up solely for political advantage. You know why there's no voter identification fraud in Pennsylvania? Because the system we have in registering and voting works. On top of that, if you cheat, you face a $15,000 fine and up to 7 years in jail.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
That's not a loophole, it was designed like that. There is also a voting only Photo ID that you can get with less restrictions.
there is not a shot in hell that if the republicans didn't overlook this, that option would be on the table.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM

It is NOT a restrictive and complicated procedure. I just renewed my license and it was so easy to do that it is ridiculous that anyone would complain. When I was at the license center there were many elderly there and they didn't appear to be having any problems. If I find out anyone is cheating I would have no hesitation reporting them.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
I have a question, are there going to be people from the state at every voting booth to enforce the laws, or is it going to be handled by each place on their own?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chambers View Post
The nine are representative of hundreds if not thousands. Based on the Supreme Court's orders to the judge, just one disenfranchised voter may be sufficient. And based on testimony yesterday by observers of the goings-on at PennDOT centers, people were being mis-directed by PennDOT staff and were showing up and leaving because of the lines (2-3 hour wait).

The problem, btw, is not IDs in and of themselves; it's the restrictive and complicated procedures. Going to a PennDOT center by itself is an encumbrance, especially for seniors and especially for those living a half hour or more away. Also, people were being forced to go twice because PennDOT staff was unable to verify their registrations. On top of that, the main sources of information are the VotesPA and PennDOT websites, both of which would be a pain for experienced web users, but a nightmare for seniors.

I think it's appalling that people who have IDs because they drive are being so self-righteous about this. There are tens of thousands of seniors who don't drive, fly or need an ID to buy a six-pack, cash a check or get a prescription filled, yet have voted faithfully for decades, and now they have to re-register (essentially) in a process that's more complicated than the first time they signed up. Bottom line: These laws were dreamed up solely for political advantage. You know why there's no voter identification fraud in Pennsylvania? Because the system we have in registering and voting works. On top of that, if you cheat, you face a $15,000 fine and up to 7 years in jail.
Oh please, there aren't many people without ID's and if they don't have one, they can get one, it's NOT hard! A 2-3 hour wait? How bad do they want to vote?

Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
It is NOT a restrictive and complicated procedure. I just renewed my license and it was so easy to do that it is ridiculous that anyone would complain. When I was at the license center there were many elderly there and they didn't appear to be having any problems. If I find out anyone is cheating I would have no hesitation reporting them.

Key word was RENEWED.

establishing the right to an official photo ID for the first time is much more difficult. If a birth certificate is needed and you don't have one it can be extremely difficult to get one without a photo ID. In Cleveland you need a photo ID just to get in the building where you order your birth certificate...

Quote:
Oh please, there aren't many people without ID's and if they don't have one, they can get one, it's NOT hard! A 2-3 hour wait? How bad do they want to vote?
you have data to go along with your wild assertions? the parties bring suit against these law do, and they don't match up with what you claim.

Last edited by buzzards27; 09-27-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Key word was RENEWED.

establishing the right to an official photo ID for the first time is much more difficult. If a birth certificate is needed and you don't have one it can be extremely difficult to get one without a photo ID. In Cleveland you need a photo ID just to get in the building where you order your birth certificate...
I ordered mine over the phone for 5 bucks when I needed to get another one. Besides, there are options for getting a voting only photo ID where you only need an SS card.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Key word was RENEWED.

you have data to go along with your wild assertions? the parties bring suit against these law do, and they don't match up with what you claim.
I was 17 years old when I got my first license. Seriously, if an adult can't get a license that a 17 year old then they are a disgrace. PS, applied for a copy of my birth to certificate to apply for a passport. Did it online and it didn't even take long.

NEXT EXCUSE?

You guys act like a bunch of honey boo boos lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections