Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

I spent 50 years working tough jobs and having payroll taxes deducted,
for this pompous slime ball to now come out and say i'm some kind of social parasite is the height of rudeness and insensitivity, however i guess if you've never worked a day in your life, never had a debt or any other how are we going to afford it moment then i can see where he would be totally oblivious to Americas working class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
sorry, it's not about hatred for Obama, it acknowledging his utter and complete failure to lead this country, and his pathetic Obama Ville economy. And yes, about 47% of Americans are not paying any net income taxes, mostly because of the bad Obama economy.

Well, I'm sure voting day will make any corrections that the population feels are necessary.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Because those they do not understand his political "gaffe" are either:

1. So totally unobjective because of their hatred for the current president that they cannot see straight;
2. Have not concept of who pays taxes and who does not and why they don't pay taxes;
3. Are totally ignorant of the voting motivations of people.

There's plenty of "losers" in that 47% who will be voting for Romney. Again, all one has to do is view Alexandra Pelosi's clips on voters. Mitt insulted them but they are probably too dumb to know it.
The perfect of example of a Republican who is too dumb to know Mitt insulted him....

Craig T. Nelson on Government Aid - YouTube

For those who won't watch the video he says, "I've been on food stamps and welfare. Did anyone help me out? No!" Hint: Food stamps and welfare WAS helping you out.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 PM

876 posts, read 708,919 times
Quote:
The problem is: I think I *know* what Romney meant. He just said it so poorly. He's correct that there are a certain segment of voters that will NEVER vote for Romney. He won't change their mind and he's not even going to try to reach those people. However, his stupidity lies on the 47% remark. The 47% that he was referring to, the ones with no tax liability for various reasons, are NOT the ones who may not vote for them. He basically called those 47% losers and slackers. Well, some of them are, but many of them are not.

There are some real losers who WILL be voting for Romney and who ARE a part of the 47% he was referring to. Just watch one of the Alexandra Pelosi videos on "Republican Voters" and you will see what I mean. (She also does the same service to Democratic voters so don't feel like you would be disloyal watching this).

Romney just came off as sounding very snobbish and uncaring and he had his facts wrong. Mostly though, a presidential candidate shouldn't be speaking of his potential "people" in that manner. I just don't see how YOU cannot see this.
You may not like what he said, but he did not call them losers or slackers. The truth is that a vast majority of these people do feel like victims. Why do we or a politician have to sugar coat it. I think it is refreshing that he is honest about it.

We all know that there are some that abuse the system. We have to all start admitting that there are people that think it is the governments fault that they are poor, that they are vitims, and that the government owes them things. Why should we ignore this?

Now, a lot of people in the half of the country that doesn't pay federal tax are elderly, disabled, or retired military. They are not abuseing the system, but that doesn't mean that they do not feel like victims. Romney may be more "in touch" with these people then most people give him credit.

I work with seniors in the insurance industry and many of them very much feel like victims. They are in despair for not having enough money to live on and worrying everyday how to make ends meet. The people on disability feel victimized by whatever caused their disability and often feel they are not getting enough benefits. The Vets feel victimized by the treatment that they received from the government for their service to their country. The seniors feel victimized by the government because somewhere along the way they were lied to by the gov. and told that if they just work hard their whole lives, the government has planned for their retirement. They truly believed that SS was going to be their retirement plan and that would be all they needed. They truly thought that Medicare would pay for just about all their medical needs. They were misled.

Mr. Romney did not belittle them for feeling like victims. And the word "vicitm" is not insult. He is bringing it to light instead of sweeping them under the carpet like so many other politicians have done in the past.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times
Quote:
47 per cent who are with him, who are dependent upon Government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what … These people who pay no income tax…
The main problem I have with the statement is how in (censored) does he know what every one of that 47% thinks and believes? Is he the Amazing Kreskin? I wasn't going to vote for him regardless of that lame statement, but it's amusing to know he thinks he's telepathic.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Roy,

Get over it. *I* read the link. I think the guy sounds naive. Yes, I agree with a "social contract." However, you're taking a face value that Romney's comments were spot on, and they arent. Sure, that group of 47% contains some losers--some people who have no aspirations and don't care about a social contract. We know that. There's no denying it. I think, as I said upthread, that this is what Romney was getting at. However, he botched it. Badly. He overgeneralized and assumed that those in the 47%--all of them, would not be voting for him. He assumed that those in the 47% were all losers who do not work. He is wrong and he marginalized a whole segment of our population as losers. That shows he's not enlightened enough to know what people really do. Again, SURE, there's some bottom feeders in that group but to say what he said--geez. Guess what, my 21 year old daughter, a college student who made $5,968 last year is one of the 47%. She never paid federal income tax because her income is below the threshhold for paying federal tax. I don't happen to think she's a loser nor do I think she thinks she's entitled to something.

This is a matter of Romney not being "politically correct." He was just wrong.
Blundered badly? Keep in mind this was not something he said in the open public, he was talking to people in a small group. There are assumptions that you take when taking to people in a setting like that, i.e., you assume they understand the context and general meaning of what you are trying to say, which allows you to speak in generalities.

All I'm saying is that he would have chosen his words differently, so as not to be misunderstood, when talking to the general public.

It's the same with Obama's "bitter, clingers" comments, they too were made to a small group, and Obama chose his words clumsily, because he knew the people understood the over arching content of what he was trying to say.

I say again, concentrate on what Obama has done, not what he or Romney say, and a 1.3% GDP growth, and 395,000 lost jobs, in the last days of his presidency, tells us all we need to know.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
if this were another election, the comments would have a done alot more damage, but since we are a very partisan country, the republicans don't care if he insulted a group and for the democrats, it just increases their disdain for romney, but they we're already going to vote for obama anyway so these comments won't change anybody's opinion.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:36 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Blundered badly? Keep in mind this was not something he said in the open public, he was talking to people in a small group. There are assumptions that you take when taking to people in a setting like that, i.e., you assume they understand the context and general meaning of what you are trying to say, which allows you to speak in generalities.

All I'm saying is that he would have chosen his words differently, so as not to be misunderstood, when talking to the general public.

It's the same with Obama's "bitter, clingers" comments, they too were made to a small group, and Obama chose his words clumsily, because he knew the people understood the over arching content of what he was trying to say.

I say again, concentrate on what Obama has done, not what he or Romney say, and a 1.3% GDP growth, and 395,000 lost jobs, in the last days of his presidency, tells us all we need to know.

To be truthful, I honestly don't care much about Romney's statement overall. However, sometimes I need to kill some time and I do so on an internet message board and get drawn into this stuff. I am fairly certain that we will do worse under a republican regime, the same one that kicked this abyssmal economy off. Considering I voted republican for every election with the exception of 2008 I don't think I'm overly blind to the dems.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM

679 posts, read 614,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
You may not like what he said, but he did not call them losers or slackers. The truth is that a vast majority of these people do feel like victims. Why do we or a politician have to sugar coat it. I think it is refreshing that he is honest about it.

We all know that there are some that abuse the system. We have to all start admitting that there are people that think it is the governments fault that they are poor, that they are vitims, and that the government owes them things. Why should we ignore this?

Now, a lot of people in the half of the country that doesn't pay federal tax are elderly, disabled, or retired military. They are not abuseing the system, but that doesn't mean that they do not feel like victims. Romney may be more "in touch" with these people then most people give him credit.

I work with seniors in the insurance industry and many of them very much feel like victims. They are in despair for not having enough money to live on and worrying everyday how to make ends meet. The people on disability feel victimized by whatever caused their disability and often feel they are not getting enough benefits. The Vets feel victimized by the treatment that they received from the government for their service to their country. The seniors feel victimized by the government because somewhere along the way they were lied to by the gov. and told that if they just work hard their whole lives, the government has planned for their retirement. They truly believed that SS was going to be their retirement plan and that would be all they needed. They truly thought that Medicare would pay for just about all their medical needs. They were misled.

Mr. Romney did not belittle them for feeling like victims. And the word "vicitm" is not insult. He is bringing it to light instead of sweeping them under the carpet like so many other politicians have done in the past.

Let's say that your correct, it still means that he doesn't know his base b/c there quite a few of those 47%ers that are Republicans. A large majority of seniors voted Republican in the last election and they make up over a fifth of that 47%. His exact words are
Quote:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... [M]y job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.
So he's saying that percentage of the 47% that are Republican and vote Republican....its not his job to worry about them.

I don't know about you, but I would be concerned with a candidate that said that I basically didn't matter to him.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:41 PM

465 posts, read 507,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post

the problem in your argument is if he was in touch he wouldn't have said my job is not to worry about them so either he wasn't thinking about disabled, elderly, etc. thinking they're victims or he doesn't care if they do...it was insulting to me and i'm no fan of either one of them and a proud independent...a lot of people i know that were thinking about voting for him now are not...i don't think either one of them are in touch with people or cares...but at least with Obama we've had almost four years and know wtf we are getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections