Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

During the Kerry Bush debate in 2004, Bush did far worse than Obama did and Bush still won the election. Romney winning the debate may tighten the polls a few points but the end result will still be an Obama victory in November. Even republicans Karl Rove and Joe Scarborough said the debates wont matter too much. Romney still didnt address the medicare issue like he should have and that issue alone will lead to Obama taking Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He was well prepared, but Romney needs to come up with specifics, because it was becoming obvious he was just throwing promises to everyone, but when pressed for details, he had none. The 5 trilion dollar tax cut which was fact-checked to cost 4.8 trillion is a monster spending bill, and he said he would pay for it with closing deductions, but he refused to say which deductions would be eliminated, but quite obviously it would have to include the standard deductions, which would mean a tax hike for a tens of millions of people. He said he has a healthcare plan which includes all the selling points of Obamacare, but again, no details. It is easy to promise stuff when you don't have to explain how you will accomplish it. I think he could be in trouble when that is used against him.

Typically in a three debate contest the claims made during the first debate will be used as ammunition against you in the next two, and Romney gave Obama a lot of ammo last night.

Finn, you may be correct regarding the ammunition, but I can't imagine Romney's campaign not being ready to defend their position. I would bet that if Obama pressed Romney a bit more on the specifics of his tax cut, he would have been prepared to defend its viability last night. But, Obama was clearly uncomfortable and lacked confidence. He looked completely lost and unPresidential.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
One instance of your unloved candidate having a good night sure has you conservos all giddy.

Face it. We're looking at four more years.
People like you will stand there and high 5 Obama no matter how bad he does, but you can never ever answer simple questions.

Here Gringo.. lets try this..

Obama keeps talking about tax credits businesses get to outsource jobs.

Can you list one? I doubt it, because they dont exist

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
The independents on CNN split evenly for the President Obama and romney if any romney cheerleaders care to stop celebrating and look at facts
Nice try, but even the biggest leftie media idiot admits Romney swept the floor with Obama.

Chris Matthews Gets Angry With Obama After Debate | Reaction | Video | TheBlaze.com

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So, based in the national average, Mr. Romney actually UNDERSTATED the number of teachers that $90billion would have hired. He said 2 million. The math says it's 2,966,674.
The whole thing is a non starter.

Romney has absolutely no interest in HIRING teachers. None. In Wisconsin he said it's time to cut back on government workers. Are you trying to tell us he's now interested in hiring them? You're defending a man willing to say anything.

What Obama's campaign has not realized is Romney can easily be accused of changing his position, with no fear of being in error.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The whole thing is a non starter.

Romney has absolutely no interest in HIRING teachers. None. In Wisconsin he said it's time to cut back on government workers. Are you trying to tell us he's now interested in hiring them? You're defending a man willing to say anything.

What Obama's campaign has not realized is Romney can easily be accused of changing his position, with no fear of being in error.
Keep saying your lies and maybe someone will believe you. Romney WILL put policies in place to hire teachers.....but only good ones whom are dedicated to improving education in our country and not the ones focused on union thuggery and over payment and self serving mentalities. Understand the difference?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
People like you will stand there and high 5 Obama no matter how bad he does, but you can never ever answer simple questions.

Here Gringo.. lets try this..

Obama keeps talking about tax credits businesses get to outsource jobs.

Can you list one? I doubt it, because they dont exist
When Obama was standing there last night talking about how people have money in their pockets now to buy their kids something, etc., I just knew people all over America were thinking he was out of touch with reality. I don't know ANYONE who is better off now than they were four years ago. Well, I know one family who is - but that's because the mother/grandmother died and they inherited property and money, not because of anything Obama has done. Four years ago I didn't know a single soul who was on food stamps or any kind of government assistance. Now I know three people who are, and they are middle aged alcoholics with no wife or children who simply choose to drink rather than work. They weren't able to qualify for anything before Obama was in office, and now they qualify. Go figure.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Did anyone else notice Obama's facial expressions during the debates last night? At times he seemed to pout, look angry and then look dismissive. Especially angry at times with that sour-puss face. And this is when he was actually looking up as it seemed like he had his face pointed down at the podium for much of the debate.

Bottom line, I think his expressions showed how much he was losing this debate.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Obama did not attack Romney, much to the dismay of the left wing. But, why should anyone be surprised that the moderate, even tempered and reasoned Obama would? He has many people in his campaign that will carry the attacks to Romney. Next debates? May be a bit different. Now, other than the Romney performance, I wonder how many know much of the content of the utterings of Mittster. I think the Romney people are experiencing a bit of a 'sugar high' right now.
I understand that Obama's style is measured and thoughtful but I do wish he had been a little more forceful on Romney's opacity regarding his tax policies.

I agree about the "sugar high" effect.....!

Looking forward to the next debate.....

Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
I thought they were both AWFUL. What I saw was two verbose Harvard lawyers rambling and nitpicking and leaving most of the electorate in the dust as to what details they just HAD to dissect before finally allowing Lehrer to move on to the next topic. They went well over their alloted time. On the good side, both were conciliatory and cordial, giving credit where credit was due. But if Obama tended to be long-winded, Romney showed disrespect to the moderator by ignoring him and blathering on and on too many times.

No winner as far as I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections