Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Brain stimulation is not reserved only to sesame street...
Why there is scientific studies???
Does people who watches sesame will definitely pass all tests (like bar)???

I know of quite a few college mates (watches sesame street I am sure) who still flung their exams... so your point???

If there are still good & BAD from watching a TV show (neutralizes the educational effects b/c people are people human nature, just like Sesame street is NO miracle drug that "guarantee" (with money back) success & smart in humans...

it is just "justified" as an "extra"... and NOT that important in the whole big picture of a country!!!

Especially to spend tax$ on.

They do well on their own!
Please tell me where I used the word "only" in my statements? This is not an all or nothing.

It requires good outside sources for a child to receive proper education, this includes parents.

Also, we spend very little money on things like PBS, and that "extra" is something that is provided for the public good that isn't controlled by private commercial sources.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
But you admit to needing outside sources to train you. You weren't born knowing all those languages.
Erm.... don't tell me you cannot tell the difference btw a live person and a TV aka inanimate object???
That "outside source" difference matters.. ***
Errr...
I sure am not paying money to learn from a TV program that does not actually physically interact with me especially when learning a language where interaction is so important.

Quote:
Nor does everyone have the opportunity to live in other cultures and learn different languages that way. Growing up I had very little say on where I lived.
Sorry for you.
maybe hence why you are so narrow minded when it comes to comparison btw other countries & just envisioning your own???

Like you know how other countries have watched Bill Clinton "lied" ON WORLD TV flaunting his own country's court & laws (perjury) and actually *think* what respect they have for US president then??? Respect USA much after????

How about *trust* issue with USD & alliances???
Been downgraded much (and seen from other side aka how other country respected US for that)???
Been endlessly printing money much???
Been ditching your alliances much??
(Eg. Japan over Diaoyu island, Taiwan??? Israel over Iran Nuk threat??? Poland??? Philippine's flood this last june/july US only pledging 100K "like a joke our government is BTW" and over 400 million to mid east like we have the money "why it isn't 100K like another country"???)
= care about YOUR country's image much living in your OWN lah-lah land watching Sesame street????

Don't think Sesame Street can make a president become that figure head that all other country "used to" respect.

UNLIKE a respect what a mighty military & a mighty economy from that country can gain.

Hmmm... like the frog living in the well... will never see much of the world outside.
Just like a person, cooping up inside the house only intend on watching TV, Sesame street at that.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
LOL! Some of you crack me up. You actually believe if PBS stopped being funded that Sesame Street would stop/go out of business??? No. I know you don't believe that. Sesame Street can support ALL of PBS by itself. Its a big-time money maker that can support itself very well. PBS does not need tax payer money unless it needs to keep airing crap that no one is watching.
You are so right, no one watches PBS.

Quote:
  • Over the course of a year, 91% of all U.S. television households - and 236 million people - watch PBS. The demographic breakdown of PBS' full-day audience reflects the overall U.S. population with respect to race/ethnicity, education and income. (Nielsen NPower, 9/19/2011-9/9/2012)
  • In a typical month, nearly 123 million people watch their local PBS stations. (Nielsen NPower, 10/2011)
  • 82% of all kids age two to eight have watched PBS this season. (Nielsen NPower, 9/19/2011-9/9/2012)
  • The PBS KIDS block was up 18% for kids age two to five for the '10-11 season compared to the '09-10 season, and the PBS KIDS GO! block was up, as well - 14% for kids age four to eight for '10-11 compared to the previous season. (Nielsen NPower, 9/20/20010-9/18/2011 vs. 9/21/2009-9/19/2010)
  • PBS had five of the top 10 programs among mothers of young children in August 2012, and five of the top 10 programs for kids age two to five. (Nielsen NPower, 8/2012)
  • PBS' primetime audience is significantly larger than many commercial channels, including Bravo (PBS' audience is 92% larger), TLC (88%), Discovery Channel (69%), HGTV (64%), HBO (62%) and A&E (29%). In addition, PBS' primetime rating for news and public affairs programming is 91% higher than that of CNN. (Nielsen NPower, 9/19/2011-9/9/2012)
  • PBS averaged a 1.35 primetime rating during the 2011-2012 season, an increase of 1% over the previous season. (Nielsen NPower, 9/20/2010-9/18/2011 vs. 9/19/2011-9/9/2012)

Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Please tell me where I used the word "only" in my statements? This is not an all or nothing.

It requires good outside sources for a child to receive proper education, this includes parents.

Also, we spend very little money on things like PBS, and that "extra" is something that is provided for the public good that isn't controlled by private commercial sources.
It will become all or nothing the way this country is going...

Question...
Will USA people & the children NEED BigBird to survive????
Without BigBird will they DIE????

(thus answer of why it is "extra")

Without a great military and a great economy...
This country like ALL other countries will surely "starve" to death...

By no one guarding their food & sources & resources... nor the economy in "growing" these resources & land.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
Quote:
You are so right, no one watches PBS.
Then you have just given the main reason why they shouldn't be tax-payer supported. They can do fine on their own. PBS does not need tax payer money. This is a fact. Sooooo, why is it such an anathema to eliminate their funding?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
It will become all or nothing the way this country is going...

Question...
Will USA people & the children NEED BigBird to survive????
Without BigBird will they DIE????

(thus answer of why it is "extra")

Without a great military and a great economy...
This country like ALL other countries will surely "starve" to death...

By no one guarding their food & sources & resources... nor the economy in "growing" these resources & land.
Everything above food and water is an "extra."

Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Then you have just given the main reason why they shouldn't be tax-payer supported. They can do fine on their own. PBS does not need tax payer money. This is a fact. Sooooo, why is it such an anathema to eliminate their funding?
Because it is a benefit to all Americans to have, it is a public channel for the public, thus is why it is called "public."

Without being public funded, that other 40% would come from advertisers, which would go against the purpose of being "public." It would then be private like every other commercialized channel.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Because it is a benefit to all Americans to have, it is a public channel for the public, thus is why it is called "public."

Without being public funded, that other 40% would come from advertisers, which would go against the purpose of being "public." It would then be private like every other commercialized channel.
ABC, NBC, CBS are all "public" channels. No one pays to watch them. Advertisements keep them going (that is understood). But Sesame Street alone can make the difference if PBS wanted to remain advertisement free. All the shows that do well can keep that channel up and running. No tax payer money is needed.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
ABC, NBC, CBS are all "public" channels. No one pays to watch them. Advertisements keep them going (that is understood). But Sesame Street alone can make the difference if PBS wanted to remain advertisement free. All the shows that do well can keep that channel up and running. No tax payer money is needed.
Actually those are all private companies. Not the same thing.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Actually those are all private companies. Not the same thing.
Doesn't matter if they are private owned or government owned - they are owned and available to the public. The point is that tax payer money is not needed to keep PBS afloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections