Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 AM

782 posts, read 1,102,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
it's amazing how people still do not understand how much piggyback legislation and pork were stuffed into that jobs bill......

it was blocked for a REASON..
Yes it was blocked for a reason. The same reason that they blocked the tax on companies that ship jobs overseas. The same reason that they blocked the political ad disclosure bill (twice). The same reason that they blocked the Dream Act. The same reason that they blocked benefits for homeless veterans. The same reason that they blocked health care for 9/11 first responders. The same reason that they blocked Wall Street Reform. The same reason that they blocked oil spill liability. The same reason that they blocked unemployment extention bill HR4213. The same reason that they blocked the Fair Pay Act of 2009.

Because those bills would have helped the recovery and/or been political wins for Obama, and the Republicans decided that winning the next election was a better goal than caring for homeless vets, 9/11 first responders, or anyone else in this country. Because earning political points was more important than people to them.

Despite their stonewalling. Despite their anti-American acts we STILL have over 30 consecutive months of job growth, of just under 5 million jobs created, and an economy that has recovered from the horrible recession that the past administration, along with the previous nearly 30 years of republican policies subjected us to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 AM

782 posts, read 1,102,903 times
By the way for all of their talk about fiscal responsiblity, about how the dems are the boogey men and the cause of all of the financial woes of our country - who is the only president in the last 32 years to ballance the budget? Bill Clinton.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 AM

933 posts, read 1,528,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
He admited himself he's a Muslim.

Obama: "My Muslim Faith" - YouTube
Exceptional job quote-mining and ignoring the context. His point was entirely that John McCain hasn't been calling him a a Muslim. It's not even a slip-up, just wording that didn't consider how quote-miners would use it to imply something other than what he meant.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,898,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
By the way for all of their talk about fiscal responsiblity, about how the dems are the boogey men and the cause of all of the financial woes of our country - who is the only president in the last 32 years to ballance the budget? Bill Clinton.
except he didn't....

The Myth of the Clinton Surplus

Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,298,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Yes it was blocked for a reason. The same reason that they blocked the tax on companies that ship jobs overseas. The same reason that they blocked the political ad disclosure bill (twice). The same reason that they blocked the Dream Act. The same reason that they blocked benefits for homeless veterans. The same reason that they blocked health care for 9/11 first responders. The same reason that they blocked Wall Street Reform. The same reason that they blocked oil spill liability. The same reason that they blocked unemployment extention bill HR4213. The same reason that they blocked the Fair Pay Act of 2009.

Because those bills would have helped the recovery and/or been political wins for Obama, and the Republicans decided that winning the next election was a better goal than caring for homeless vets, 9/11 first responders, or anyone else in this country. Because earning political points was more important than people to them.

Despite their stonewalling. Despite their anti-American acts we STILL have over 30 consecutive months of job growth, of just under 5 million jobs created, and an economy that has recovered from the horrible recession that the past administration, along with the previous nearly 30 years of republican policies subjected us to.
Well stated.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,958,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
I respect you guys for knowing not to go for Dukakis despite him picking Benson as his running mate. However, I'm amazed by how gullible you people are when it comes to party affiliation. Romney is carbon copy of Mike Dukakis. Don't let the (R) fool you. Also, since he got the media to turn on Rick Perry, you people should have more incentive to deny Romney your 30 plus electoral votes which would render Romney's campaign hopeless.

As to the argument he's better than Obama: well, a). He's only in for another 4 years and b). he's more conservative than Romney if you read between the lines.
Texas is too hopelessly red. The Anglo voting majority won't listen to anything or anyone with a "D" attached to it. Many of them were raised and indoctrinated that way. I went to school with many of them when I was growing up. The only ones that have changed party affiliations are the ones that have moved to more progressive states in this country. Living here as a progressive Dem is pure hell.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:29 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,752,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Texas is too hopelessly red. The Anglo voting majority won't listen to anything or anyone with a "D" attached to it. Many of them were raised and indoctrinated that way. I went to school with many of them when I was growing up. The only ones that have changed party affiliations are the ones that have moved to more progressive states in this country. Living here as a progressive Dem is pure hell.
I don't know about anyone else, but I have to say I am an exception to this theory. I was born and raised in Texas in a conservative Democrat household.

After giving this another thought, I take that back, I remember quite a number of people who changed their party affiliation from Dem to Rep (same as my parents) back in the day when they could no longer believe in or support the views of the Democratic party.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM

177 posts, read 197,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
This is Texas... most people here vote the straight Republican ticket because they think Obama is a "Mooslim" or that Democrats will take their guns away.
What most texans don,t kmow is that Romney signed into law some anti gun legislation in Massachusetts. He's a stronger supporter of gun control than Obama.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM

177 posts, read 197,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
This is Texas... most people here vote the straight Republican ticket because they think Obama is a "Mooslim" or that Democrats will take their guns away.
Well, apparently Texans don't value their guns nearly as much as they say they do:

Mitt Romney's Flip-Flop On Gun Control, Assault Weapons And The NRA - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections