Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Of course its irrelevant to you, because it shows how hypocritical Democrats are..

Yeah, celebrate a cookie sale which raised $20 to cut the national debt, but gosh darn it, dont dare go after those hundreds of millions of dollars because you like to watch Sesame Street...

News flash, maybe you can have a bake sale so you can give the money to Big Bird..
Let me try this again:

I'm not a Democrat. Therefore, the perceived hypocrisy of Democrats is irrelevant to me. I don't know what bake sale you're talking about, nor whether you know for sure that the same people who celebrated it also oppose cutting funding for PBS. But based on what you've told me about it, I for one don't see why anyone would oppose one to help cut the national debt?

I will say cutting the national debt is not the be-all and end-all of U.S. policy, foreign or domestic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Let me try this again:

I'm not a Democrat. Therefore, the perceived hypocrisy of Democrats is irrelevant to me. I don't know what bake sale you're talking about, nor whether you know for sure that the same people who celebrated it also oppose cutting funding for PBS. But based on what you've told me about it, I for one don't see why anyone would oppose one to help cut the national debt?

I will say cutting the national debt is not the be-all and end-all of U.S. policy, foreign or domestic.
As opposed to what? Allowing the debt to grow out of control to the point that when interest rates rise, (and they will), that we wont be able to even service the debt, let along fund social security, welfare, police, and other essential services?

Old 10-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Here. Send this to Mitt. He's obviously desparate to find something that will help balance the budget.

30 Stupid Things The Government Is Spending Money On

Maybe that will keep him busy and hopefully off this whole anti-education kick (of our citizens, mind you) for a while.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Here. Send this to Mitt. He's obviously desparate to find something that will help balance the budget.

30 Stupid Things The Government Is Spending Money On

Maybe that will keep him busy and hopefully off this whole anti-education kick (of our citizens, mind you) for a while.
I guess you requesting people send it to Mitt, is your way of acknowledging Mitt will be the next President. We all know sending the list to Obama would do no good.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 AM

Personally, I don't think either of them being president will do much good. I side with Jill Stein if anyone, who said Obama's a wolf in sheep's clothing and Romney's a wolf in wolf's clothing.

But that was a great counterargument, BTW!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
I guess you requesting people send it to Mitt, is your way of acknowledging Mitt will be the next President. We all know sending the list to Obama would do no good.
the point of this thread is PBS. mittens touts PBS as what he wants to cut. he couldn't find something more important to cut with more of an impact to talk about in his first debate? the man is lame if this is what he wants to bring to the forefront when there are other, more important cuts to be made.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Exactly. The country is hemmoraging money like from a gun shot wound, and cutting the ridiculously small amount of funding to PBS is like suggesting putting a band-aid on a hang nail to stop the bleeding from the gunshot wound. Maybe it sounds really good to rail against entitled PBS viewers but it does not address the real problems in the budget. It has nothing to do with whether people like Big Bird or not. Cut PBS funding, the problem still exists in spades.
Nobody is saying that ceasing government funding to PBS alone is going to have a significant impact on the debt or deficit. What is being said is there are thousands upon thousands of programs much the same as PBS that cummulatively are significant as the whole. Nobody is cherry picking PBS, they are in fact an example of an even bigger problem in the bloating of our federal government. If you think for a second that Romney was suggesting that defunding PBS in and of itself would make a significant impact on the economy, then you simply haven't been listening to what is being said. You are regurgitating talking points. We need to cut funding NOT ONLY on PBS, but on those thousands upon thousands of other programs that we simply no longer can afford.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the point of this thread is PBS. mittens touts PBS as what he wants to cut. he couldn't find something more important to cut with more of an impact to talk about in his first debate? the man is lame if this is what he wants to bring to the forefront when there are other, more important cuts to be made.
Maybe you can cite all of the examples Obama said he'd cut when he was going line by line, in order to cut the deficit in half, or the $4T in cuts to the federal debt he said his plan was for.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Maybe you can cite all of the examples Obama said he'd cut when he was going line by line, in order to cut the deficit in half, or the $4T in cuts to the federal debt he said his plan was for.
deflection. a topic for another thread. your man missed his shot on this one. pretty weak on this one

Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Nobody is saying that ceasing government funding to PBS alone is going to have a significant impact on the debt or deficit. What is being said is there are thousands upon thousands of programs much the same as PBS that cummulatively are significant as the whole. Nobody is cherry picking PBS, they are in fact an example of an even bigger problem in the bloating of our federal government. If you think for a second that Romney was suggesting that defunding PBS in and of itself would make a significant impact on the economy, then you simply haven't been listening to what is being said. You are regurgitating talking points. We need to cut funding NOT ONLY on PBS, but on those thousands upon thousands of other programs that we simply no longer can afford.
No, I wasn't regurgitating a talking point. I try to ignore talking heads of any political stripe. I would just like to see what these other cuts to all of these other programs across the board are (from anyone at this point, not just Romney), so we can take a realistic look at the budget. Including, and perhaps starting with, waste within the big ticket items in the budget, which when we are talking about huge numbers, might be a realistic place to start. The point several people have made is even adding up hundreds of programs that account for under 1% of the budget alone together, there is still not appreciable dent. We then have ten toes with band aids and still have a hemorraging gun shot wound. I'm not opposed to band aids in addition to treating the gunshot wound, but not in place of.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 10-06-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections