U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM

10,996 posts, read 10,685,106 times

Advertisements

Rand Paul: Romney's wrong on Middle East, defense spending - CNN.com

I do not, however, support a call for intervention in Syria. And, if such intervention were being contemplated, it is absolutely necessary that Congress give any such authority to the president. No president, Republican or Democrat, has the unilateral power to take our nation to war without the authority of the legislature.

At times, I have been encouraged by Romney's foreign policy. I agree with his call to end the war in Afghanistan sooner rather than later and with his skepticism of, and call for reform in, foreign aid, but I am a bit dismayed by his foreign policy speech Monday, titled "Mantle of Leadership."
Sen. Rand Paul
Sen. Rand Paul

Romney chose to criticize President Obama for seeking to cut a bloated Defense Department and for not being bellicose enough in the Middle East, two assertions with which I cannot agree.

Defense and war spending has grown 137% since 2001. That kind of growth is not sustainable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM

24,875 posts, read 21,471,541 times
I can honestly say, I generally agree with the "Pauls" foreign policy stance.

Other stuff, not as much, but definitely the foreign policy stance.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

1,946 posts, read 1,568,602 times
Thumbs up Rand Paul: Romney's wrong on Middle East, defense spending

Rand Paul's Op-Ed. Worth reading.

Quote:
In North Africa and the Middle East, our problem has not been a lack of intervention. In the past 10 years we have fought two full wars there, and bombed or sent troops into several others.
Quote:
This "act first, think later" foreign policy has real consequences. We've seen our embassies and consulates stormed in more than one country. Our diplomats and security team were killed. Our flag is being burned, our country mocked.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM

24,875 posts, read 21,471,541 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ddle-east.html

Duplicate thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM

66,589 posts, read 35,920,908 times
Default Rand Paul SLAMS Romney on Syria and Spending

He has been slamming Mitt on CNN for about 10 minutes now.

Some earlier comments from his earlier slams against Romney:

I do not yet know if I will find a Romney presidency more acceptable on foreign policy. But I do know that I must oppose the most recent statements made by Mitt Romney in which he says he, as president, could take us to war unilaterally with Iran, without any approval from Congress.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-10-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM

4,919 posts, read 6,259,729 times
I almost posted this myself because I thought it was a good piece. I dont think the current president or Romney either one has a good grasp of foreign policy. Hopefully, Romney would use someone that is a pro in that field when he takes the office. Rand Paul is still going to vote for Romney, bottom line, because so much more outweighs this ......

Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He has been slamming Mitt on CNN for about 10 minutes now.

Some comments:

I do not yet know if I will find a Romney presidency more acceptable on foreign policy. But I do know that I must oppose the most recent statements made by Mitt Romney in which he says he, as president, could take us to war unilaterally with Iran, without any approval from Congress.
Quote:
(CNN)
Quote:
-- This week, I will campaign for Gov. Mitt Romney. I believe this election will and should be about moving America back from the edge of the abyss on which we stand, where our debt and spending threaten to overwhelm and drown us. Romney's belief in free markets, limited government and trade make him the clear choice to lead our country come January.

I do not, however, support a call for intervention in Syria. And, if such intervention were being contemplated, it is absolutely necessary that Congress give any such authority to the president. No president, Republican or Democrat, has the unilateral power to take our nation to war without the authority of the legislature.

At times, I have been encouraged by Romney's foreign policy. I agree with his call to end the war in Afghanistan sooner rather than later and with his skepticism of, and call for reform in, foreign aid, but I am a bit dismayed by his foreign policy speech Monday, titled "Mantle of Leadership."

Romney chose to criticize President Obama for seeking to cut a bloated Defense Department and for not being bellicose enough in the Middle East, two assertions with which I cannot agree.
Defense and war spending has grown 137% since 2001. That kind of growth is not sustainable.
Opinion: Romney's sorta-kinda call to arms
Adm. Michael Mullen stated earlier this year that the biggest threat to our national security is our debt.
If debt is our gravest threat, adding to the debt by expanding military spending further threatens our national security.....snipped...

A very thoughtful piece and made me think more about this. I have been very angry about the debacle in Libya and made me disgusted with this administration but, this piece slows down my emotions a little regarding the whole picture. I think Romney will not be the hawk this may sound like, JMO.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
...snipped...This past year, President Obama illegally began a war with Libya, taking sides with the rebels to unseat an admittedly bad man in Moammar Gadhafi. There were several problems with this policy: First, the president did not seek or get the necessary constitutional authority from Congress for this military action. If our Constitution is to mean anything it must be applied even in times of war, when those seeking to exercise power do not find it expedient.

Just as importantly, the Libyan rebels were assisted with virtually no one in the administration or in Congress demanding to know who these people were that we were arming and propping up. No one seemed to understand that in toppling Libya's dictatorship, we were leaving in its wake an unformed, unorganized government without a centralized structure, one that would have a difficult time keeping order among the more than 100 tribes that make up Libya.

This "act first, think later" foreign policy has real consequences. We've seen our embassies and consulates stormed in more than one country. Our diplomats and security team were killed. Our flag is being burned, our country mocked.

The proper response to this would be to step back and think of whether we really need to be involved in these countries in the way we have been....snipped,,,

Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM

66,589 posts, read 35,920,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
A very thoughtful piece and made me think more about this. I have been very angry about the debacle in Libya and made me disgusted with this administration but, this piece slows down my emotions a little regarding the whole picture. I think Romney will not be the hawk this may sound like, JMO.
Who knows what Romney would do if he actually won the elections, since he routinely flip-flops on issues. He said he would get the US military involved in Syria and in Iran, and if that is not 'hawk' then I don't know what is.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM

376 posts, read 566,650 times
Default Paul is Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

Sen. Rand Paul
Sen. Rand Paul

I agree with Paul that Romney's middle east policy is off base and we need to vacate our troops overseas and lower defense spending as an overall effort to balance our budget. Obama's foreign policy is closer to mine but killing the domestic economy to get a slightly better foreign policy isn't worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or