Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
funny then that obama cited it, don't you think?

we certainly can't have full employment or even full-time employment when the private sector is being decimated-with overtaxation, overregulation, and overburdening by bureaucrats.

maybe it will take a collapse for people to see where the money comes. when biden says, "oh, he asked me for money" he wasn't talking about HIS money-but the taxpayers.

trillions of dollars in debt, and NOTHING to show for it. that sounds like a better plan then.
Why do you lie? Private jobs have grown under Obama.

Most of the debt comes from Republican policies and the downturn in the business cycle. Lets take a look at the past administration.

Downturn and Legacy of Bush Policies Drive Large Current Deficits — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

The irony is that this conversation begin with you implication that you had the details, which you don't. Like Ryan, you just have the same ol' Republican talking points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Obviously, Biden won this debate. President Obama, take note. Blowing away these ridiculous Republicans is easy. Ryan continues with the same Romney/Ryan platitudes, all invalidated by the Republican obstructionists in Congress.

Kudos to Joe Biden. Big win for the President tonight.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i see they fudged the unemployment statistics, because some really big state (i wonder who?) forgot to report their unemployment claims:
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: So Much For Today's Surprising "Drop" In Weekly Jobless Claims; California Forgot to Report 30,000 Claims; What We Learned Today

and so it goes.
WTF? The Labor Dept and the BLS are separate entities. Plus, the BLS does not use data from state jobless claim agencies.

Stop talking out of your ass. You don't even know what you are talking about.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 AM

684 posts, read 824,771 times
Default Why Joe Biden won the debate: A Centrist's view.

There has been some vigorous debate on who, exactly, won the Vice Presidential debate. Those on the left insist that Joe Biden won hands down while those on the right said Paul Ryan had seemed more at ease and calm and more in control.

Interestingly, people are accusing Biden of the same things that Romney was accused of in the first debate, though even more interestingly is that it isn't the same people who demonized the other side.

This debate was crucial to the Obama campaign - Not because of substance, but because of a very simple fact:

President Obama has a problem.

Historically, the President has always fought a battle with bandwagoners - People who support him so long as he has support. Attacks on Benghazi? Reframe this in to a fight between a soulless snob who thinks everyone is his lesser. John McCain wins a debate? Roll out Colin Powell and his support.

Over time, President Obama's leads always tended to roll back until his brilliant campaigners(And they are brilliant - See last election) were able to change the subject on something that hurt him.

This rolls in to Romney's debate wins. Those bandwagoners that are fair-weather friends to the President have started to leave. Their campaign wants to reframe things.

Debates are places to achieve campaign goals. One cannot give in-depth explanations of 1000+ page legislature in the format of a debate. A debate can only show what type of person you are, whether you've thought about your stance and whether you believe your stance.

Last night's debate was about two different goals by two different parties:

1) The Democrats needed Biden to re-energize his base and change what people were talking about. He was a bulldog. What he said was not so important as how he said it. He was Howard Beale yelling, "I'm mad as Hell and I'm not gonna take it any more."

He did that. He achieved his goal and you're going to see the Bandwagoners come back, I believe, when the Obama campaign changes the theme again.

2) The Republicans needed to show that they were more Presidential. That's why Ryan was calm. He's much younger, so he needed to show that he was unflappable and in control. His goal was to convince the moderates that his was the party of reason and Biden was the party of dreams.

The question is: Which did the better job? The polls will be more clear next week, but I believe we're going to see Obama's bandwagoners start to creep back.

This leaves the next debates: Expect Obama to get more aggressive and expect Romney to push Obama to try to make him lose his temper.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Biden was very rude and showed me he could not work across the isle.
That's a fine argument if we were discussing someone who is running for public office for the first time but rather ludicrous when discussing a person who effectively served in the U.S. Senate for three and a half decades.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Hardly, democrats think for themselves and call out other democrats when they screw up. the R's are the ignorant sheep that don't give a damn in the slightest what other right wingers do (just look at the teabagger cheating and abortion thread) and will worship the (R) no matter what.

Biden won, get over it.
Bingo!

I haven't watched the debates yet, but have been following the after-polls and media commentary... and just as predicted, the DEMS have been the only ones able to graciously accept defeat. In fact, I specifically came here tonight to see how creative the Republicans' excuses would get! Even Bill Maher was riding Obama's butt after the first Presidential debate, and hasn't let up on criticizing him since. Wonder how Rush is reacting if Ryan did indeed lose this round? Hmmmm.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-12-2012 at 12:42 AM..

Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Obviously, Biden won this debate. President Obama, take note. Blowing away these ridiculous Republicans is easy. Ryan continues with the same Romney/Ryan platitudes, all invalidated by the Republican obstructionists in Congress.

Kudos to Joe Biden. Big win for the President tonight.
Only if Joe is now the President.

Mr. Obama is still quivering from the head-whipping he took from Mericless Mitt the Mormon Marauder.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Bingo!

I haven't watched the debates yet, but have been following the after-polls and media commentary... and just as predicted, the DEMS have been the only ones able to graciously accept defeat. In fact, I specifically came here tonight to see how creative the Republicans' excuses would get! Even Bill Maher was riding Obama's butt after the first Presidential debate, and hasn't let up on criticizing him since. Wonder how Rush is reacting if Ryan did indeed lose this round? Hmmmm.
Limbaugh will claim that Ryan did great and that Joe was erratic and a bully. Ironic considering it describes Limbaugh to a tee.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Biden schooled your boy Ryan. Republicans here are a joke!
Ryan got owned. I thought he was reading a television commercial in his final statement.

When he said "we are offering" in his final comments, i though of Marv telling Bud Fox "i am offering you The Knicks and Chicks, what do you say buddy boy"

Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:

Kudos to Joe Biden. Big win for the Vice President tonight.
Fixed that for you. Biden gets full credit for taking the fight to the enemy. Obama? Well, I will take him on his word that he was off last week, but he'd better take heed and make his own big wins. Clinton and Biden and Michelle cannot fight for him.

That said, I think this will help a bit, primarily because Romney / Ryan are such unusually brazen bs artists, but without Obama firing on all cylinders, the team will lose. Sad to think Americans would fall for a soulless weasel like Romney, but it's happened before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections