Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Assuming you mean by "amateur" to imply that Obama lacks experience for his position, that seems to me a very curious thing to say about the presidency. It's a rather unique office, after all. There really isn't any kind of program of vocational training for the American presidency. It seems to me that everyone who has ever held the office might well be described as an amateur.

Moreover, it seems strangely foreign to refer to amateurism with your negative connotation in connection with the highest office. Amateurism in political life, after all, is the hallmark of our Anglo-American political tradition: we pride ourselves on our long line of Cinncinati, great men summoned to their high task, only to return to the plow once they've done their duty by the fatherland. We pride ourselves in not having a professional governing class, and at least like to tell ourselves that we do not have a natural political elite, nor an American aristocracy.

On the other hand, maybe you mean the word in its literal sense: someone who does something simply for the love (amor) of it. In connection with the presidency, presumably in this sense, the love would be for the art of governing? But again, who would seek the highest office if they hated the business of governing?

I suppose there are some; much of the Republican Party seems to despise government itself. So, I'll correct myself: every candidate for the presidency is likely to be an amateur except certain Republicans who seek the office only to destroy it. But in that case, the correct term seems to me less "amateur" than "traitor".
Nice soliloquy professor. Keep it in the classroom, though. Leave the real world to the adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
This is Mitt Romney

Do you want this type of character in a president?
I thought about it and decided I'd much rather have a Romney character than an Ol'BeRocky da Bomba character. No movie star wanna be's for me.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Better then the unqualified moron we have in office now.

Amen to that.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Better then the unqualified moron we have in office now.
Yep - clown Obozo is inexperienced, incompetent, inept, and in over-his head. Only a stupid fool would vote for the scumbag after experiencing him for almost four years.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,051 times
Quote:
Yep - clown Obozo is inexperienced, incompetent, inept, and in over-his head. Only a stupid fool would vote for the scumbag after experiencing him for almost four years.
I guess this majority of this nation are stupid fools according to you then, because Obama will get 270 electoral votes before Romney on Nov 6,2012. I felt the same way you did about Bush so I can understand your pain.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I guess this majority of this nation are stupid fools according to you then, because Obama will get 270 electoral votes before Romney on Nov 6,2012. I felt the same way you did about Bush so I can understand your pain.
If clown Obozo is re-elected for a second term it will definitely be painful for everyone...and some people far more than others. I will not feel one bit sorry for the ones that will feel the most pain, which happens to be the ones that are most likely to vote for the scumbag.

God knows the scumbag has already done enough to really destroy this country a great deal and cause generations (plural) major headaches.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
....but but Mitt Romney gave some girl cancer and never became a bff with his garbage man!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,051 times
Quote:
If clown Obozo is re-elected for a second term it will definitely be painful for everyone...and some people far more than others. I will not feel one bit sorry for the ones that will feel the most pain, which happens to be the ones that are most likely to vote for the scumbag.

God knows the scumbag has already done enough to really destroy this country a great deal and cause generations (plural) major headaches.
Our states are United but our visions and people apparently are not

Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Straw man. Give an example of a single Republican who advocates zero government. Since you say this constitutes "much of the Republican Party," it should be child's play to come up with one example.

The fact is that no R's advocate zero government. Not even most Libertarians advocate that. What we advocate is limited gov't. We do not need gov't in the business of dispensing cell phones, telling us how many ounces of sugary drink we can have, or forcing private schools to provide birth control to 30-yr-old students.
Grover Norquist wants to make the government so small that he can drown it in a bathtub. That means zero government to me.

Here you go The Pledge: Grover Norquist's hold on the GOP - CBS News

Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
I get the feeling that most people aren't even looking at the link. Good experiment.

For those who didn't, the link tells the story of what Mitt Romney did in 1995. He showed up at a family's house on Christmas - A family who sorely needed it - And said he would cover the children's schooling costs and do whatever he could to help out after their accident.

Mitt Romney - The real, honest, genuine Mitt Romney - is a very good family man and just good person. One could argue his positions are out of touch, or that he's a 'flip flopper', but as a human being, the man is a Grade A class act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections